Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > [Marathon mix] Theme Challenge 4 (COMPLETE)
Pages (13): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

The idea was to imagine yourself playing in a club from the moment the doors open to the last tune of the night, and how you would programme the whole night of music. For me the idea is not just to imagine yourself as the DJ, but think of yourself as a dancer - what do you like to hear when you're just getting there, handing your jacket in, buying a drink, exploring the club right at the start? And what do you like to hear in the home stretch of the night when the crowd's thinned out and it's the dedicated nutters still on the floor.

I've recorded one in the past and never shared it. I'll do another one for this challenge so the tunes are more fresh, of course, but it's the opportunity to make a real signature set that sums up your whole ethos of a great night out. I've only played the one I made a handful of times all the way through, when I've had a very long journey or when I was cleaning my flat top-to-bottom, but it's a nice thing to have made. Also, with longer mixes, you don't have to worry so much about the flow and structure being 100% perfect. Equally, the listener doesn't have to pay attention to every single thing that happens. In a real club night you will inevitably go to the toilet and the bar, chat nonsense to people, ask them to repeat themselves three times, go outside for a smoke. You don't pay attention to every second of music.

Anyone can play whatever they want, of course, but I personally would struggle to imagine a set of purely videogame music forming a satisfying all-night club set. Better to attack the concept head-on rather than crowbar some other idea into it.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jul-07-2018 16:28  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

Okay, so your idea was specific to club music? Forgive me if I feel like we might end up with 80 hours worth of prog music for this challenge then. To me I think it would be better for the scope of this idea to be broadened slightly. I'm sure an all-night club set would be brilliant when done by someone like you, but if Luke wants to do a dry run of a video game expo music night I think that would be fair to the core of the challenge.

I'd be glad to hear others thoughts on this too. Club only, or should we expand the setting?

Set Archive | TA DJ Challenge

Old Post Jul-07-2018 16:38 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Why do you keep talking about prog? I didn't say anything about it having to be prog. Luke has an 8 hour mix in his sig, so he's certainly capable of fulfilling the challenge, and it isn't a prog set.

Old Post Jul-07-2018 18:08  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

Just an example of everyone's mixes sounding similar, which I was looking to avoid.

Old Post Jul-07-2018 19:32 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
refuge
That 303 Guy

quote:
Originally posted by ziptnf
Refuge could easily make a 6 hour chiptune mix. I bet Luke and I would be the only listeners

Haha and that would take 6 months to make, 40 tracks in the chiptune genre would fill an hour easily. My goal is to focus on Sega sounds specifically, from the Data Discs catalog, as it was my earliest exposure to Electronic music before I had any conceptual understanding of what a DJ/Electronic Music is and had a heavy hand in my involvement in music today, specifically the Yamaha YM2612 sound chip. If this doesn't adhere to the contest rules let me know I will probably just work on it on my own time. Most of my mixes are already House/Techno/Acid/Electro/other 4/4 styles so I'd like to stray away from that is already too close to home, Top 40 remixes doesn't interest me, only other theme I'm interested in is G-Funk / Electrofunk mix but that wasn't a suggested theme.

Last edited by refuge on Jul-07-2018 at 20:03

Old Post Jul-07-2018 19:44 
Click Here to See the Profile for refuge Click here to Send refuge a Private Message Visit refuge's homepage! Add refuge to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
mphreak
Supreme tranceaddict

Not big fan of recording marathon club set at home. However, if that is the challenge theme, we should spice it up a bit with some kind of restrictions like type of club/environment/event (outdoor, pool, art gallery, you name it)..

Old Post Jul-08-2018 21:31  Croatia
Click Here to See the Profile for mphreak Click here to Send mphreak a Private Message Add mphreak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
the-sixth
Supreme tranceaddict

I would honestly love to hear what everyone would do for an essential mix if pete tong asked you to do one

The key here though is to not be given a tracklist and just have to listen to it.

Rare Vinyls spinning on video If you like that sort of thing

Old Post Jul-08-2018 22:39  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for the-sixth Click here to Send the-sixth a Private Message Add the-sixth to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

quote:
Originally posted by refuge
Haha and that would take 6 months to make, 40 tracks in the chiptune genre would fill an hour easily. My goal is to focus on Sega sounds specifically, from the Data Discs catalog, as it was my earliest exposure to Electronic music before I had any conceptual understanding of what a DJ/Electronic Music is and had a heavy hand in my involvement in music today, specifically the Yamaha YM2612 sound chip. If this doesn't adhere to the contest rules let me know I will probably just work on it on my own time.

I could put together a 4 hour chiptune mix just based off the tracks in my catalog alone. But with a hyper-specific requirement on the sounds and hardware used to create the tunes, I would probably agree that it would take months to create something that long with music that specific. Luckily this challenge has no time limit.

quote:
Originally posted by mphreak
Not big fan of recording marathon club set at home. However, if that is the challenge theme, we should spice it up a bit with some kind of restrictions like type of club/environment/event (outdoor, pool, art gallery, you name it)..

I'm not so sure. Restrictions like this limit the ability for the DJ to design a set around something they could excel in. Some of the participants may not be much for the club.

I think this was my point earlier, that the core of the challenge really should be that you are in charge of playing a marathon set to any group of people, whether that be a dark night club, hippie forest music festival, video game convention, or wherever a crowd of people will be listening to you play all night. And the additional caveat that it is in fact you who is responsible for the music the entire night. The interpretation of the setting of the marathon mix is up to the challenger. In this case, a marathon mix designed for a long car ride would probably not be valid (unless you drive the party bus or something).

At this point since the votes are clearly in favor of the marathon set, I think it would be wise for us all to start planning towards that, even though the challenge hasn't officially started yet.

quote:
Originally posted by the-sixth
I would honestly love to hear what everyone would do for an essential mix if pete tong asked you to do one

I believe Jack led the way with something like this a few years ago, although they were more personal classics than industry classics:

http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...threadid=598563

Last edited by ziptnf on Jul-08-2018 at 23:24

Old Post Jul-08-2018 23:14 
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

To be clear, it doesn't have to be a club. I suppose it could be any appropriate venue for the kind of music you want to play, with the caveat that it has to be an environment where a DJ would really play. So an outdoor rave is fine if you're psy-inclined, or a bar or terrace is fine if you fancy jazzy house or Balearic Afro-beat. But some engagement with the venue is important.

The Essential Mix idea is a really good one actually. It's totally different to my old personal classics thing. Imagine you're going out on Radio One with the full Tongy intro, and you've got two hours to show the world your sound.

Old Post Jul-09-2018 09:36  England
wotyzoid
it's not house

I'll play

Old Post Jul-09-2018 12:11  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
mphreak
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
To be clear, it doesn't have to be a club. I suppose it could be any appropriate venue for the kind of music you want to play, with the caveat that it has to be an environment where a DJ would really play. So an outdoor rave is fine if you're psy-inclined, or a bar or terrace is fine if you fancy jazzy house or Balearic Afro-beat. But some engagement with the venue is important.

This. Summer terrace bar fits the mood these days

Old Post Jul-09-2018 13:40  Croatia
Click Here to See the Profile for mphreak Click here to Send mphreak a Private Message Add mphreak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

Excellent. We still have 3-4 more from the other thread who haven't officially signed up but showed interest.

I'm glad that the specificity of the environment the mix was to be played in isn't a point of contention anymore. Part of me expected this thread to devolve into unnecessary arguments about how many sugars the bouncer takes in his coffee, which direction the water sprays in the club bathroom's leaky pipe, and precisely how much cocaine the drug-addled party-goers have been consuming.

The Essential Mix idea is indeed a great one but I feel like it would be difficult for it to gather 9 votes quickly and unseat the marathon mix idea. Perhaps it would be best for us to just put that on next year's docket.

Old Post Jul-09-2018 13:41 

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > [Marathon mix] Theme Challenge 4 (COMPLETE)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (13): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackLaidback Luke @ Sensation White 2005 [2006] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAirbase - "Emotion" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread