Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > The Official TOTA BlackBerry thread
Pages (82): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Dr. Z
edm sux

quote:
Originally posted by LKD
you don't get 3G though right?

Nope, Storm 2 only has WCDMA Band 1. Rogers has Band 2 and 5 I believe.

Old Post Jan-21-2010 18:32  Yugoslavia
Click Here to See the Profile for Dr. Z Click here to Send Dr. Z a Private Message Visit Dr. Z's homepage! Add Dr. Z to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LKD
Omni-peasant

anyone know if 8330 OS can be installed on the 8310? (since theyre basically the same thing with different bands)

Old Post Jan-29-2010 18:12  United Arab Emirates
Click Here to See the Profile for LKD Click here to Send LKD a Private Message Visit LKD's homepage! Add LKD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
exstasie
Hack Attack

quote:
Originally posted by LKD
anyone know if 8330 OS can be installed on the 8310? (since theyre basically the same thing with different bands)

I think its highly advised against as there have been issues with it, if you can even get it work. You might be more difficult to install to the phone since the software should know that you're trying to install a 8330 OS on an 8310 phone.

Any 8310 OS will work though (from any carrier).

If there is an OS for the 8330 that isn't available for the 8310, then i'd wait since usually they are usually leaked around the same time.

Old Post Jan-29-2010 18:26  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for exstasie Click here to Send exstasie a Private Message Add exstasie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LKD
Omni-peasant

quote:
Originally posted by exstasie
I think its highly advised against as there have been issues with it, if you can even get it work. You might be more difficult to install to the phone since the software should know that you're trying to install a 8330 OS on an 8310 phone.

Any 8310 OS will work though (from any carrier).

If there is an OS for the 8330 that isn't available for the 8310, then i'd wait since usually they are usually leaked around the same time.

i recently upgraded my 9530 with 9500 OS (it basically ended up patching it to make it a hybrid)

the highest available for the 8330 is 5.0.something and the highest for the 8310 available is 4.6.something

Old Post Jan-29-2010 18:57  United Arab Emirates
Click Here to See the Profile for LKD Click here to Send LKD a Private Message Visit LKD's homepage! Add LKD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LightsOut
Antagonist

quote:
Originally posted by LKD
i recently upgraded my 9530 with 9500 OS (it basically ended up patching it to make it a hybrid)

the highest available for the 8330 is 5.0.something and the highest for the 8310 available is 4.6.something

the 8300, 8310, and 8320 dont have enough memory to be able to run OS 5.0, you may be able to successfully load it, but it'll crash constantly..

• Ambivalent - R U OK (Kasper is OK Mix)
  • Do Santos - Menina
  • Heartthrob - Baby Kate (Magda's "Where Is My Baby's Daddy" Mix)
  • Danton Eeprom - To The Bone (Jamie Jones Deep Sea Dub Mix)
  • Matt Nordstrom - Lucky Drawls (Mark Brooms No Rave Stab Mix)

Old Post Jan-29-2010 19:22  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for LightsOut Click here to Send LightsOut a Private Message Add LightsOut to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LKD
Omni-peasant

quote:
Originally posted by LightsOut
the 8300, 8310, and 8320 dont have enough memory to be able to run OS 5.0, you may be able to successfully load it, but it'll crash constantly..

that makes a lot of sense...i did hear about the limited memory but didnt know that mightve been the reason for not having OS 5...

so here's a Q..does BBM 5 work on 4.5/4.6?

Old Post Jan-29-2010 19:30  United Arab Emirates
LightsOut
Antagonist

quote:
Originally posted by LKD

so here's a Q..does BBM 5 work on 4.5/4.6?

absolutely

• Ambivalent - R U OK (Kasper is OK Mix)
  • Do Santos - Menina
  • Heartthrob - Baby Kate (Magda's "Where Is My Baby's Daddy" Mix)
  • Danton Eeprom - To The Bone (Jamie Jones Deep Sea Dub Mix)
  • Matt Nordstrom - Lucky Drawls (Mark Brooms No Rave Stab Mix)

Old Post Jan-29-2010 20:10  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for LightsOut Click here to Send LightsOut a Private Message Add LightsOut to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LKD
Omni-peasant

called telus today about my bill...woman goes "your storm is in need of a software upgrade"

"ummm to what version?"

"4.7.0.172"

"ummm...I'm running 5.0.0.425"

Old Post Feb-02-2010 23:16  United Arab Emirates
LKD
Omni-peasant

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2010/...nd-java-hybrid/

quote:

What To Expect from BlackBerry OS 6 – WebOS and Java Hybrid?

When I was in Scandinavia meeting with Opera, along with the lucky BBCool reader who won the trip, I got to talking with them about RIM’s acquisition of Torch Mobile. The guys at Opera are really smart and gave me some insight into what a browser really is. A browser is really a combination of 50-80 mini apps, that all serve various functions such as understanding the HTML/CSS. WebKit is a core technology within the browser. There are other core technologies that can be used to build a Browser: Presto, Gecko, Trident etc.

The acquisition of Torch Mobile meant that RIM now controls a few of the developers who are contributors to WebKit’s source code. The Webkit platform, while Open Source, doesn’t allow just anyone to manipulate the base code. There is a relatively small group of contributors from Apple, Nokia, Google, various Universities, and now RIM.

With WebKit, RIM can and will build a better browser, but that’s just the beginning of what you can do with WebKit. Again, WebKit is just the engine, what you power is entirely up to you. It was around this time that I had to goad the Opera team into what else was possible with WebKit, and what RIM might do with the core technology pertaining to BlackBerry OS 6. While they wouldn’t confirm or deny anything, the most likely possibility, I believe, is a Java-WebOS hybrid platform.

In recent years, RIM have been getting flak from developers about their platform being a pain to code for, and consumers saying it’s not user friendly. In response to this, RIM have been touting Widgets. Coding in HTML is easier, and as Palm have proved, an HTML based OS goes a long way to addressing both user and developer concerns. I doubt RIM would ever go with a full WebOS, because Java provides them with a lot of the security and functionality a good smartphone needs, as well as they have a lot of vested interest in Legacy systems. That being said, the compromise may come true: a hybrid Java and WebOS. This already happens on the desktop where you have apps running on the traditional OS, but web apps running on top.

As smartphones move closer to a desktop experience, I’m going to give it 10 years (at the most) until your mobile OS will be virtually the same as your desktop OS. As for BlackBerry OS 6, RIM are only working on releasing 5.2 this year, so it will be a couple of years until we see OS 6. A lot can happen between now and then, so take the above with a grain of salt. Personally, I would welcome a WebOS hybrid, if it means apps are cheaper, more abundant and better integrated. Also, I tend to get technical terms confused so if any of the above is technically incorrect, it wasn’t Opera giving me the wrong info, it was definitely my illegible notes.

Old Post Feb-02-2010 23:38  United Arab Emirates
LKD
Omni-peasant

ok...i'm fucking baffled. can someone explain to me why a BB user would use Tetherberry, paying a fee for it vs. just using the "IP modem" feature on the desktop manager to connect to the net via your BB?

Old Post Feb-03-2010 05:40  United Arab Emirates
Mach X
DEMF Ambassador

quote:
Originally posted by LKD
ok...i'm fucking baffled. can someone explain to me why a BB user would use Tetherberry, paying a fee for it vs. just using the "IP modem" feature on the desktop manager to connect to the net via your BB?

Some providers, especially while roaming into other carrier's data covereage either forbid/limit the tethering, or charge you a outrageous surcharge for tethering.

Using the app allows you to circumvent that...

But that is in really rare cases, for the most part, you should be able to use the IP modem feature in DTM...

You'd be surprised how many people don't have DTM on thier computer...

Also, I think the app you download to the computer with tetherberry is small and downloads and takes up minimal space, as opposed to DTM which is like 300mb and takes forever to install and takes up alot of space... (beacause of all the other features)

Old Post Feb-03-2010 05:57  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Mach X Click here to Send Mach X a Private Message Visit Mach X's homepage! Add Mach X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
English Rachel
I Am Canadian

my 9700 comes today!!!

Old Post Feb-03-2010 13:34  England
Click Here to See the Profile for English Rachel Click here to Send English Rachel a Private Message Add English Rachel to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > The Official TOTA BlackBerry thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (82): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHELP here please --> played by Van Buuren in1999 [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackGintare - "Earthless" (Matt Darey Mix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread