Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > i've lost my life... hard drive crash stupid piece of $#()*)*#)
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Zombie0729
Supreme tranceaddict

i had been backing up on an external HD fairly regularly last year but the december holiday and january move to my new place kept me preoccupied.

i just know in this field, keeping up to date on technology is expensive and perhaps its just time to sell this machine and buy the next one, even though this was unplanned.

i'm open to ideas -- i just read that VISTA has a back up program built into the OS, sounds nice

Old Post Feb-10-2008 18:45  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zombie0729 Add Zombie0729 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
music2dance2
Supreme tranceaddict

Oh yeh i forgot to say that also. Dont bother with a new pc you have a good one there. Just replace the drive as reno said

Old Post Feb-10-2008 18:48  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for music2dance2 Click here to Send music2dance2 a Private Message Add music2dance2 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
music2dance2
Supreme tranceaddict

Forget vista for now

Old Post Feb-10-2008 18:48  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for music2dance2 Click here to Send music2dance2 a Private Message Add music2dance2 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Reno
Senior tranceaddict

Yeah Vista has 2 backup features - normal backup (only data) and image backup (which backs up a full image incl OS). You only want to be doing an image backup on the odd occassion as it takes ages and lots of disk space.

Download the Windows 2003 resource kit from MS site which will install robocopy. Create a batch file that backs up your important folders to your drive using robocopy. Its great for backing up only new data. Once the batch file is created you simply double click to run it. Even easier than Vista

By the way Vista should run pretty well on a dual core pc even with 1GB RAM although I'd go to 2GB min. I wouldn't say its a bad thing upgrading cause you will need to sooner or later. For me though, Cubase 4 keeps crashing.

Old Post Feb-10-2008 18:57  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Reno Click here to Send Reno a Private Message Visit Reno's homepage! Add Reno to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kiksu
Junior tranceaddict

I feel sorry for you Anthony. For real. That shit happened to me 1 week ago! I lost all my samples, and the newer versions of my tracks that were supposed to be released. Now I only have the older versions. Also I lost and some melodies that were trully a masterpieces. But slowly this week I remembered some of them and rewrited them, and I also reinstalled the samples and programs. Maybe something good can come out from that. You might do even better later. Good luck with solving the problems.

Old Post Feb-10-2008 19:14  Macedonia
Click Here to See the Profile for kiksu Click here to Send kiksu a Private Message Add kiksu to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Zombie0729
i had been backing up on an external HD fairly regularly last year but the december holiday and january move to my new place kept me preoccupied.

i just know in this field, keeping up to date on technology is expensive and perhaps its just time to sell this machine and buy the next one, even though this was unplanned.

i'm open to ideas -- i just read that VISTA has a back up program built into the OS, sounds nice

Anthony, what actually is the problem with the drive? Will it not even spin/power up/corrupted/etc?

I had a drive that was totally corrupted and went to a "recovery expert" for "help" (made him inspect it before he was going to get any cash from me) and he couldn't retrieve anything so I got the drive back. In the end I found the suggestions in this thread useful:

RECOVERY

In the end I only got back about 40% but that was because I think the "expert" did some more damage to it.

Whatever you do, don't try to restore the disk back to itself - get another drive, install XP (or whatever on to it) and see if the dead drive is recognised when you plug it in.

If not, you might want to see if you can get a quote to just do a mechanical fix on it (or exchange parts like Echosystem suggested) and then do the software data recovery yourself, as that will work a out a lot cheaper than a complete data recovery service (who will basically be doing an electrical/mechanical repair then running data recovery software).

Old Post Feb-10-2008 19:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zombie0729
Supreme tranceaddict

well, i was doing like 10 things at once when all of the sudden my computer completly froze, like nothing thats ever happened before. i had to hard boot in order for anything to even happen. on boot up i got an error in bios that said "BOOT DISK FAILURE".. went into bios and it didn't recognize anything in the master slot.

checked the cables and nothing, when it was trying to read from the master slot the drive would click. when i called into one of the recovery places they told me the clicking is either a broken head or the tone arm flying across the platter striking it at the end.

i did find a place that will give me a FREE evaluation and then tell me how much they can recover... i'll be bringing that in tomorrow.

thx for the advice guys but if i don't upgrade now i probably won't for another year and by then my computer will be pretty out dated.

Old Post Feb-10-2008 21:00  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zombie0729 Add Zombie0729 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

That sounds like a mechanical failure of the drive components and actually your data is probably still intact on the disk surface. If the parts can be replaced to make it read again the data will almost certainly be recoverable.

Just make sure the guys doing the evaluation are only going to do non destructive testing on it.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Old Post Feb-10-2008 21:17 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
mysticalninja
Supreme tranceaddict

have u tried GetDataBack and the others like it? lol

https://soundcloud.com/ghostea stuff

Old Post Feb-10-2008 21:30  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for mysticalninja Click here to Send mysticalninja a Private Message Add mysticalninja to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
music2dance2
Supreme tranceaddict

I thought that but if the drive is fucked no point!

Old Post Feb-10-2008 22:47  United Kingdom
kopi_luwak
K.O. 3.14159265

2000 bucks to recover your data?
Dude, does this service includes time traveling to warn you in the past about to back up your hard drive or sort of?
Otherwize is crazy!

Kopi =o.

Old Post Feb-10-2008 23:15  Mexico
Click Here to See the Profile for kopi_luwak Click here to Send kopi_luwak a Private Message Add kopi_luwak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
CReddick
balls

Anthony,

I had a drive that quit spinning up (mechanical failure) and I put it in the freezer for 24 hours, then plugged it in and it worked fine. Long enough to clone it at least. A bad ball bearing will contract when cold and allow the disc to function. in case this is your issue, it's an easy try / solution.

more analog, more sidechain

Old Post Feb-11-2008 00:07  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for CReddick Click here to Send CReddick a Private Message Visit CReddick's homepage! Add CReddick to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > i've lost my life... hard drive crash stupid piece of $#()*)*#)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackIs this - "Kingsize DJ Team - Go Ahead London"???? NEED CONFIRMATION [2004] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSignum - Solitude [2009]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread