Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > ::::::::. **** TA DJ Challenge Series - Genre Challenge 7 (COMPLETE) **** .::::::::
Pages (25): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Sand Leaper
Tension hunter

quote:
Originally posted by jonmitz
did you miss this part?

or this:

y'all are posting some pretty specific things, that are not open to interpretation in any way. and adding any regional modifier to a genre is making it obscure AND specific.

I was just explaining to ziptnf the reasoning behind the "obscure" choice of genre that was made. Narrowing your suggestion of genre down to a certain era, approach or regional variation is one of the things that makes the genre challenge an actual "challenge" in the first place (previous suggestions such as breakbeat hardcore, electro or schranz are examples of this).

I see your point, of course. There's only so much room for variation once you narrow things down to the extent "NY hard house" does. I'd argue that diversity and variation isn't necessarily the point of this challenge, though. It is how the DJ copes with operating within a very specific set of genre boundaries, however narrow. Any room for interpretation or creative liberties is just a bonus in that regard. Considering how popular the tribal stuff being referred to as "NY hard house" so far has been with Twilo devotees, I don't think it is an unreasonable and too obscure suggestion, as long as the music is readily available at your usual digital download stores.

Old Post Aug-04-2014 21:58  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

Not to forget that Oakenfold featured Lil Mo' Yin Yang - Reach (Basement Jaxx Firecracker Mix) on GU004, which shows that Hard House from NY was prevalent across the globe too since all the big players in the game endorsed it. I'm not even from new york btw so it was a challenge myself when I discovered this era of music a few years ago.

Old Post Aug-05-2014 00:00  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr.Mystery
Static Guru

quote:
Signed up/I would like to add "bass" to the list of things we are choosing

Bass?

Old Post Aug-05-2014 07:39  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Mystery Click here to Send Mr.Mystery a Private Message Add Mr.Mystery to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mystery
Bass?

Seriously though, I'm all for suggesting interesting genres but what is bass? Why can't we have something a little more defined, like tech house or progressive trance? Not saying it has to be that boring, but being too over-generalized or too specific should be pretty obvious. It's like submitting "electronica".

Set Archive | TA DJ Challenge

Old Post Aug-05-2014 13:45 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jonmitz
mixcloud.com/mitztronic

i mean, it's open to interpretation? it's not really a set genre but more of a certain type of sound. i could sit here and try to explain what that means from my perspective but really it stretches across genres

in any case, i guess the submissions should have an example since music is so subjective

here is a mix i did with a couple styles/subgenres of what i would call bass: https://soundcloud.com/jonmitz/dream-chaser

anything from stuff like this

to a more darker/heavier kind of thing

or slower stuff like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfoHUOCK6Dw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehk6m2seDTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=580fAcO2Eik
http://www.beatport.com/track/let-g...nal-mix/5149331

other genres have this kinda sound to them
psychedelic

bass house would fall under this umbrella

anyways, i have no problem changing my submission if this is too arbitrary for the consensus. i'll just swap it for psychedelic/tribal instead since that's pretty straight forward

edit: fix tables

Last edited by jonmitz on Aug-06-2014 at 02:25

Old Post Aug-06-2014 02:05  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for jonmitz Click here to Send jonmitz a Private Message Add jonmitz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

quote:
anyways, i have no problem changing my submission if this is too arbitrary for the consensus. i'll just swap it for psychedelic/tribal instead since that's pretty straight forward

Am I alone in thinking that psychedelic and tribal are extremely different?

Old Post Aug-06-2014 02:44 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr.Mystery
Static Guru

How do I genre?

Old Post Aug-06-2014 08:26  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Mystery Click here to Send Mr.Mystery a Private Message Add Mr.Mystery to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
Am I alone in thinking that psychedelic and tribal are extremely different?

You're not. Unless he wants psychedelic tribal? I think he's done a mix of that before, but he's one of the only people I've seen do a mix with those flavors. Is that what you're sticking with, Jon? Psychedlelic tribal?

I feel like it hasn't been this difficult to select genres in the past.

I'm going to sign up shortly, once I decide.

Btw, here's a halfway decent point of reference for genres if you're having a hard time deciding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ic_music_genres

Old Post Aug-06-2014 11:28 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

It feels like he's nominating willfully esoteric categories so he can then point us in the direction of his own mixes for reference.

EDIT: And Nick, that list contains such delights as "aggrotech", "cybergrind" and "suomisaundi". You're fighting fire with a cluster bomb.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Aug-06-2014 11:41  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
It feels like he's nominating willfully esoteric categories so he can then point us in the direction of his own mixes for reference.

It certainly does seem that way.

quote:
EDIT: And Nick, that list contains such delights as "aggrotech", "cybergrind" and "suomisaundi". You're fighting fire with a cluster bomb.

(I've actually done a suomi mix )

Yes, but I figured people with half a brain will ignore "Dream Trance" in favor of Minimal Techno.

Old Post Aug-06-2014 11:49 
Bierheld
Supreme tranceaddict

There's a lot of modern music that hasn't settled into a well defined genre yet, which I think is what he's trying to put forward. What he calls 'bass' seems to be his preferred sound and I've heard crop up in several mixes of his.

Personally I don't think it's legitimate either, and that it should be changed to either UK bass or post-dubstep maybe? I know there's a lot of music that sort of hangs around or in between those sounds and you can definitely make something that sounds like a genre mix from that, but it's not really in the spirit of the challenge.

Listens:
http://www.last.fm/user/bierheld

Old Post Aug-06-2014 12:09  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Bierheld Click here to Send Bierheld a Private Message Add Bierheld to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jonmitz
mixcloud.com/mitztronic

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J

hmm yes that is it

certainly not this at all

quote:
There's a lot of modern music that hasn't settled into a well defined genre yet, which I think is what he's trying to put forward.

I'm choosing genres I am into, and doing my best to describe what i mean (this is such a crock of shit, because I don't know anything about any of the genres posted and I will bet you $20 everyone who has submitted a genre has done a mix in that style at some point. guess they just all want to link to their mixes? lol). if you look at my post you will see i gave a bunch of actual embded links and then a little one line link to a mix i did. it's not like i put it up front with size 40 font. thanks for the callout though! i'm not going change my submission because it doesnt have it's own section on beatport.com

As Bierheld hinted at, electronic music is exploding right now into all sorts of new genres that arent well defined.

a big point of the OP that I missed on my first read is that the people who submit genres will provide examples and artists to the person who gets that genre so why are we debating what a genre is? i will submit my first post about UK hard house was a bit unnecessary confused.

i think we have clarification enough on everything now to just continue with the competition, no?

e: cut excess stuff

Last edited by jonmitz on Aug-06-2014 at 17:48

Old Post Aug-06-2014 16:41  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for jonmitz Click here to Send jonmitz a Private Message Add jonmitz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > ::::::::. **** TA DJ Challenge Series - Genre Challenge 7 (COMPLETE) **** .::::::::
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (25): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackLooking for a remix from Tracy Chapman - Fast Car [2004] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDJ Frankie Jones - Let the beat control your body [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread