Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal > Piknic Elektronik 2012
Pages (19): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
devnull
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Ravemontreal
It's always tricky to hear a set out of it's context... maybe it did feel like a prime time set there. That's why I was never a fan of releasing live recordings.

well in the case of this set....it may be better listening at home ...so should be released

Old Post Jun-22-2012 21:02  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for devnull Add devnull to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Casa
As for music, I'd say he's my biggest influence. Lot's of my tracks on my album are influenced by him, i look forward to sharing them with you guys.

If anyone is looking to discover some great film music check out Hans Zimmer, John Williams (undisputed king of soundtracks, he wrote the themes for Jaws + Star Wars for fucksake) and Clint Mansell (his score of The Fountain is a masterpiece).

Music is a sick joke for Hans:

The Thin Red Line
The Rock
Broken Arrow
The Lion King
Rain Man
True Romance
Gladiator
Black Hawk Down
Hannibal
Mission Impossible 2
Pearl Harbor
The Last Samurai
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Madagascar
Shark Tale
Kung Fu Panda
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Inception
Sherlock Holmes
Angels & Demons
Call Of Duty : MW2
Crysis 2
Frost/Nixon
The Pacific (series)
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Despicable Me
Spanglish
X-Men: First Class
Transformers: Dark of the Moon

That's like 1/3 of his discography and he's scored 14 movies in one year once.

that's what I call an inspirational place to make music:

Zimmer is a great producer, but as a film composer, even Hans would tell you he isn't really that gifted. He has a big team and knows how to delegate. His music is simple and more production related focusing more on sound design than actual composition.

Although Williams is great and in terms of technique, ions better than Zimmer, the theme from Jaws was a direct quotation from Dvorack, star wars a direct quotation from Holst. Every action scene is from Shostakovich.

The best soundtracks where when Steiner was around. You had people that were brought in from Europe trained by a tradition , well say Steiner, was taught by Mahler and Brahms. Zimmer is in many ways hollywood music. Like the films, they appeal to those that like simple things. And for that he is good. But if that is your favourite music, you are a shitty composer. I find it is sort of pop music for orchestra.

Old Post Jun-23-2012 13:13 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

Saying someone is a shitty composer because you don't like the same artists that they do is pretty silly.

Old Post Jun-23-2012 14:32  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Ammar.Hasan
Supreme tranceaddict

Awww I miss piknic and the people

Old Post Jun-23-2012 14:52  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Ammar.Hasan Click here to Send Ammar.Hasan a Private Message Add Ammar.Hasan to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by WittyHandle
Saying someone is a shitty composer because you don't like the same artists that they do is pretty silly.

i do like him actually in some ways. I worked with some of his contemporaries on similar films as an orchestrator so my opinion is not just based on taste. But i like him for things he excels at which is not composition. His team tend to invest alot of money and do interesting things , that perhaps do not show a skill in scoring or composition but still interesting.

He is a team, he is a weak composer with very limited skill compared to his contemporaries which he will even admit. He has always been known as more of a sound developer than a composer. When he has to do more intricate scoring that isn't just block chords and loud drums, he has help.

And a score is a craft in itself which is not pure composition to be judged alone. The value is not the music but rather the film as a whole. But when you separate the music from the score, by any measure you can judge a composer, use of form , harmonic devices, orchestration, he is quite normal arguably well below par. In terms of actual scoring he has made some awful scores. But he has also shaped the industry in some good ways albeit in some rather negative ways as well.

I just find it a little funny that someone is touting him as some music god. Far from it. He is adequate and works with very talented people. He is a great producer in the real sense of the term. He delegates. He is a good communicator and he is dependable.

Old Post Jun-23-2012 15:29 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

It sounded like your accusation that I was referring to was directed at Casa. You clearly are very knowledgeable about music, I just think that saying he (Casa) is a shitty composer because Zimmer is one of his favorite artists is a bit off.

Old Post Jun-23-2012 15:52  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

Btw, is your handle just for fun or are you a praticular fan of Geroge? Just curious.

Old Post Jun-23-2012 15:53  United States
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

fair enough. That was not really relevant. I suppose a reaction to his also non relevant name dropping of his album. He kinda just sounded full of shit talking about things he knowns nothing about. I just happen to do that sort of work for a living and like to tickle people that talk shit.

Looney4Clooney is just a naming convention.

last few were

Mad4Brad
Achon4Bacon
Crazy4Swayze

The actors are not really relevant in that i just pick names that work and sound kinda gay. I also work around people that talk about actors and i love answering how i feel about actors in a way that shows contempt to the question but also illicits a disarming sense of funny. Say someone is talking about i don't know Charlie Sheen, I'm a queen for sheen really loud. It makes me laugh. And laughing at your own jokes is a sign of ... I have about a hundred or so on paper.

Last edited by Looney4Clooney on Jun-23-2012 at 16:50

Old Post Jun-23-2012 16:45 
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

Laughing at your own jokes is a sign they you think they're funny. Nothing wrong with that. Gotta believe in your product, amirite? I'm generally out to amuse myself, and if it causes collateral chuckles, well, ramalamadingdong.

*cue Brian*

I like your posts. It's good to have other loons on here to keep things fresh.

Old Post Jun-23-2012 16:56  United States
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

Location: Ici William Bumbray du service de police de la communauté urbaine de Montréal Esti.

Wanks2Hanks

Old Post Jun-23-2012 17:09 
Click Here to See the Profile for zyklon-jay Click here to Send zyklon-jay a Private Message Visit zyklon-jay's homepage! Add zyklon-jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

i think i would have been severely beaten within an inch of my life if i wasn't so damn funny. I will admit that the french canadians think i'm a retard. Well my girlfriend at least.

Old Post Jun-23-2012 17:11 
Casa
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by WittyHandle
I just think that saying he (Casa) is a shitty composer because Zimmer is one of his favorite artists is a bit off.

Im pretty garbage to be honest. In the grand scheme of things what have I done so far. 4/4 dancefoor music for people that are on drugs, zero live recording, looped for 7 minutes with no mic'ing live musicians or anything. Pretty talentless if you ask me.

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
He kinda just sounded full of shit talking about things he knowns nothing about. I just happen to do that sort of work for a living and like to tickle people that talk shit.

I do music full-time as well. I would love to hear some of your work. Where can I check some of it out?

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
even Hans would tell you he isn't really that gifted. He has a big team and knows how to delegate. His music is simple and more production related focusing more on sound design than actual composition.

Although Williams is great and in terms of technique, ions better than Zimmer, the theme from Jaws was a direct quotation from Dvorack, star wars a direct quotation from Holst. Every action scene is from Shostakovich.

The best soundtracks where when Steiner was around. You had people that were brought in from Europe trained by a tradition , well say Steiner, was taught by Mahler and Brahms. Zimmer is in many ways hollywood music. Like the films, they appeal to those that like simple things. And for that he is good. But if that is your favourite music, you are a shitty composer. I find it is sort of pop music for orchestra.

Will check out Steiner!

Last edited by Casa on Jun-23-2012 at 17:45

Old Post Jun-23-2012 17:33  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Casa Click here to Send Casa a Private Message Add Casa to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal > Piknic Elektronik 2012
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (19): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackHELP me ID: great trance tune played in 1997 [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDJ Shufflemaster - "Geylang" [Subvoice] [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread