Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Prometheus, epic stuff
Pages (24): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Blake
Supreme tranceaddict

Surely I wasn't the only one who noticed this resemblance, right at the start of the movie:

Old Post Jun-12-2012 07:59  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Blake Click here to Send Blake a Private Message Add Blake to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

quote:
Originally posted by Vector A
But character development was stunted, plot was pretty ropey at times, dialogue had some clangers, and dramatic moments would have been more effective if more of the characters were likable.

Yep, but again, this starts to make sense when you realize Prometheus is a homage to pulp sci-fi.

The spacesuits are designed after a Soviet sci-fi b-movie from the 60s. http://50.63.152.9/_prometheusforum...he-early-60s/p1

It's like something Tarantino would have made but without the knowing winks aimed at the audience. It's straight-faced camp.

David is the main protagonist and the most humanized character. The humans are a bunch of redshirts who are essentially stupid robots. Their death is always ironic/funny because it directly coresponds with their attitude. In order for you to enjoy this they have to be unlikable. Prometheus is illogical in such a consistent way that it must be acknowledged as a thematic component.

Old Post Jun-12-2012 08:14 
Click Here to See the Profile for GoSpeedGo! Click here to Send GoSpeedGo! a Private Message Add GoSpeedGo! to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

It's basically this, just with a high budget.

Old Post Jun-12-2012 08:23 
Click Here to See the Profile for GoSpeedGo! Click here to Send GoSpeedGo! a Private Message Add GoSpeedGo! to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Blake
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by GoSpeedGo!
I actually like this and I think it's spot-on.

+1 sounds like it was posted by an old roommate of mine

quote:
Originally posted by tubularbills
another question: speaking of sequals....would the next movie be in parallel sequence with Alien? (i.e. happening at the same time, but in onther space)....or would it be another prequel prior to Alien?

also, as mentioned above, the angry vagina thing was the one that came out of Shaw, but survived the cold/decontaminate area.

ALSO! if the black goo is an evolver (rapid growth, rapid change in the host in comes in contact with)....what would happen if the black go went into the "Alien" at the end? it's been forever since i've seen the alien series....is that what makes the "super" aliens in #2?

So then, if the black ooze was an evolver, based on this dude turning into a Mephisto zombie, was that supposed to be a predictor of what humans would eventually evolve into, if left unchecked? That would explain a lot.

Old Post Jun-12-2012 08:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Blake Click here to Send Blake a Private Message Add Blake to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I saw this on release day in the UK, but haven't had the Internet since then, so this is the first chance I've had to write about the film since then.

I thought this film was terrible. Nothing in the second half makes any sense, and the more rickety explanations, hypotheses and back-stories I've heard, the less sense everything makes. The script is absolutely laughable, and anyone who doesn't realise that would appear to lack any understanding of the principles of storytelling. It's a shame too, because the first hour was an excellent opening act and could have lead to something so much better. I agree with the consensus that the film "tries to do too much" which explains the vicissitudes of its logical collapse, but I also believe the fundamental thrust of the story is both completely implausible and extremely clichéd.

quote:
Originally posted by GoSpeedGo!
Yep, but again, this starts to make sense when you realize Prometheus is a homage to pulp sci-fi...

No it doesn't. Alien was a homage to pulp sci-fi. All of science fiction is a homage to other science fiction. Read up on the academic discourse surrounding the genre (I recommend Adam Roberts' book Science Fiction as a good primer). Being a homage or reference or postmodern reflection of something does not absolve Prometheus of its many, crippling flaws, it does not make it ironic and it does not add anything to the meaning of the film except on a meta-generic level, a level on which Prometheus is merely a fractal shard of the larger cultural force that is science fiction as a whole. The explanation you've quoted above is a mere bad film-student essay, seeking absolution in the ultimate escape pod of "postmodernism" and "irony".

Anyway, I'll be back to having no Internet in an hour, so don't put too much effort into your response.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jun-12-2012 11:06  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tubularbills
Max Power!

quote:
Originally posted by Blake

So then, if the black ooze was an evolver, based on this dude turning into a Mephisto zombie, was that supposed to be a predictor of what humans would eventually evolve into, if left unchecked? That would explain a lot.

I DON'T KNOW!??!?!

Old Post Jun-12-2012 23:52  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for tubularbills Click here to Send tubularbills a Private Message Add tubularbills to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LAdazeNYnights
Crossing Swords

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J

Anyway, I'll be back to having no Internet in an hour, so don't put too much effort into your response.

Old Post Jun-12-2012 23:55  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for LAdazeNYnights Click here to Send LAdazeNYnights a Private Message Add LAdazeNYnights to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

It's sad that some people are incapable of just being entertained by a movie without having to dissect and analyze every minute detail for some deeper meaning.

Old Post Jun-13-2012 00:00  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for srussell0018 Click here to Send srussell0018 a Private Message Add srussell0018 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spam
OMG Hai2U!

quote:
Originally posted by srussell0018
It's sad that some people are incapable of just being entertained by a movie without having to dissect and analyze every minute detail for some deeper meaning.

I feel like upping my 7.5/10 score just to irk them that little bit extra...

Done.

8/10 for Prometheus! What a great piece of entertainment!

Bullshit.
Those forces combine to create a soaking, boiling mudstorm on Valentine's Day.

Old Post Jun-13-2012 00:06  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Spam Click here to Send Spam a Private Message Add Spam to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

quote:

Maybe I'm misreading the critiques but I'm not seeing a whole lot of effort devoted to finding meaning. Most of the complaints seem to revolve around a story-telling deficit that negates the suspension of disbelief. I still haven't seen it, though.

Now with extra singles!
my old stuff, not quite up to snuff - but I still dig it - UPDATED 9/23/2012

Old Post Jun-13-2012 00:09  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for EddieZilker Click here to Send EddieZilker a Private Message Visit EddieZilker's homepage! Add EddieZilker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
enydo
~

quote:

You don't have to dissect anything when a movie is this shitty.

Old Post Jun-13-2012 00:28 
Click Here to See the Profile for enydo Click here to Send enydo a Private Message Add enydo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

That was more directed at GoSpeedGo!

Old Post Jun-13-2012 00:29  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for srussell0018 Click here to Send srussell0018 a Private Message Add srussell0018 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Prometheus, epic stuff
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (24): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDirty track spun by Steve Lawler [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPeter Gun - "Pressure Point" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread