Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > real trance
Pages (49): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by identity7
Trance always had melodies and was pretty much about them

I think modern trance still has a lot of melodies. Just think away the vocals and what's left still is pure trance IMO.

quote:

You are completely missing the point. There were poor trance records of course but they were trance records and there is a solid, nicely produced new stuff but it just isn't trance. That's all to it really.
The problem is only in that trance label is being put on everything today and much stuff is not only totally unrelated but not of a high quality either.

I don't think SYSTEM-J is missing the point at all and there were huge amounts of crap trance, maybe even more then nowadays. The trance label is put on todays tracks because I think in basic most still are trance. That they sound like hundred others and have vocals doesn't change that.
But you say if it's solid and nice then it's not trance any more?

About Childeren: it got the dreamhouse label first, not trance. I guess it's one of these multilabel tracks. Loved it.
Many well know tracks started underground. E.g. I ordered the BBE - Seven days and one Week more than a year before it submerged. I heard it in a Belgium club (who always were ahead of things). Commercial success often came later.
Same happened with 2 Fabiola - Play this song. Sometimes the line between genres become vague. Jam&Spoon and The Mackenzie show this too.

Think many of todays tracks still have a lot in common with this IMO 1000% trance track of 1996. But if you then compare it to Corderoy - Kyree and listen very good I guess it's clear that one is much more complicated regarding number of layers or tracks.

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Old Post Jan-12-2010 20:44  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Chimney
Low pH

quote:
Originally posted by Trance-MB
I think modern trance still has a lot of melodies. Just think away the vocals and what's left still is pure trance IMO.

For being an "old-schooler" in trance you really have plenty of misconceptions.

Old Post Jan-12-2010 23:04  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for Chimney Click here to Send Chimney a Private Message Add Chimney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
floyd741
addict

Old Post Jan-12-2010 23:07  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for floyd741 Click here to Send floyd741 a Private Message Add floyd741 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
RebeL9
The Digital Blonde addict

quote:

You also have to think away the 3 minute breakdowns. And the overuse of supersaws. Hmm anything else I've left out?

Old Post Jan-12-2010 23:13  Afghanistan
Click Here to See the Profile for RebeL9 Click here to Send RebeL9 a Private Message Visit RebeL9's homepage! Add RebeL9 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by RebeL9
You also have to think away the 3 minute breakdowns. And the overuse of supersaws. Hmm anything else I've left out?

The offchain basslines and the overused vocal chops
But its not like every track made today does fit these stereotypes.

Old Post Jan-12-2010 23:23 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by identity7
@System-J:
He asked which trance artists wasn't happy with how things were going for trance at the time, this was just an example.

No he didn't. Let me quote back to you what he actually said, because you seemed to have forgotten:

"If you had a time machine you could go and check that. I can't remember anyone telling that wasn't trance back then really. Easy to say that many years later it's was closer to something else. But then many Bonzai track were closer to Happy Hardcore I guess..."

quote:
Or is it? You wouldn't call Madonna - heavy metal. Why? Because she doesn't sound like one?

Of course it is. Your example does nothing to change that. You can't say Madonna isn't heavy metal without first defining in undisputed terms what "heavy metal" is and then by showing that Madonna doesn't fulfil the criteria. Saying "she isn't because she isn't" is illogical bullshit.

Simple fact is that there have been a great many records that some people have called trance and others have called progressive house, or techno or breaks, or acid house. "Trance" has never been a neat and tidy term with a neat and tidy definition. If you want to claim any record isn't trance you have to first figure out what exactly makes a record trance. You haven't done that, and until you do your debate with Trance-MB will be never-ending, tedious and fucking stupid.

quote:
You are completely missing the point. There were poor trance records of course but they were trance records and there is a solid, nicely produced new stuff but it just isn't trance. That's all to it really.

No I'm not. You are missing my point. I'm not talking about fluff trance, however good it is. There are still trance records being released that fulfil the necessary criteria for being "real trance", whether it's new Union Jack material or modern prog-psy. There were hundreds of "real trance" records released in 1999, the apparent nadir of trance's pop debasement. Even Ishkur has admitted as much to me personally, and he's the reason 95% of you clowns are repeating these party lines in the first place.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jan-13-2010 02:23  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Woonyxoxo
The offchain basslines and the overused vocal chops
But its not like every track made today does fit these stereotypes.

Sometimes I get the feeling people are only looking for these stereotypes. Like every track has a 3 minute breakdown(most are much shorter of course) or a supersaw. Besides that use of supersaws doesn't make it not trance and breakdowns also aren't something new.
The producers must be inspired by Jam&Spoon, I never heard someone complain about that one since the first time I heard it. O, it doesn't count, the breakdown is only 2:30...

C.M. - Dream Universe (Marino Stephano Remix) also didn't have a decent breakdown...

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Last edited by Trance-M on Jan-13-2010 at 20:59

Old Post Jan-13-2010 20:54  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
RebeL9

quote:
Sometimes I get the feeling people are only looking for these stereotypes. Like every track has a 3 minute breakdown(most are much shorter of course) or a supersaw. Besides that use of supersaws doesn't make it not trance and breakdowns also aren't something new.
The producers must be inspired by Jam&Spoon, I never heard someone complain about that one since the first time I heard it. O, it doesn't count, the breakdown is only 2:30...

Maybe because back when Jam & Spoon released it everyone was not doing exactly the same thing. Which is the case now. I cant tell the difference between the productions of Andy Blueman or the other guys doing the same type of music. It's like they use the same cooking book. Just have a listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcxMV0ixiLA
Pick any track from an ASOT-show. You hardly will tell the difference. Here's another one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvrUoeDf8s8

And another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLCXn4Z6ce4

yet another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcX28L6kq5I

I bet you see the formula. I wonder how many of these tracks will be remembered in ten years from now.

Old Post Jan-13-2010 21:39  Afghanistan
Click Here to See the Profile for RebeL9 Click here to Send RebeL9 a Private Message Visit RebeL9's homepage! Add RebeL9 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Chimney
For being an "old-schooler" in trance you really have plenty of misconceptions.

I don't need a hand to count your arguments though.

Verarschen kann Ich mich selber!

Old Post Jan-13-2010 22:05  Netherlands
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by RebeL9
Maybe because back when Jam & Spoon released it everyone was not doing exactly the same thing. Which is the case now. I cant tell the difference between the productions of Andy Blueman or the other guys doing the same type of music. It's like they use the same cooking book. Just have a listen to this:

I bet you see the formula. I wonder how many of these tracks will be remembered in ten years from now.

I'm not denying that, but even using that cooking book still doesn't make it not trance.
I'm lucky I like the formula.

Old Post Jan-13-2010 22:07  Netherlands
RebeL9

quote:
I'm not denying that, but even using that cooking book still doesn't make it not trance.
I'm lucky I like the formula.

Yeah you are obviously not alone since everyone and his uncle and donkey is producing it and the big question is; How much can the market handle? In the 90s goa trance went through the same phase. It eventually ended in shutting down of 90% of all goa trance labels.
I'll give this supersaw trend a maximum of 2 more years.

Old Post Jan-13-2010 22:11  Afghanistan
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

Lmao you can't seriously try to compare Follow Me to Going Wrong, can you?

Old Post Jan-13-2010 23:42 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > real trance
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (49): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSick Azz Tune needs a proper IDing!!!!! [2003] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDJ Misjah & DJ Tim - "Access" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread