Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > How To Use Beatport (Properly)
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
DjWoody
Chingon

I always save to my bin and come back a few days or weeks later and listen to them again. Sometimes the mood I'm in can influence what I buy. If I'm digging like at 3am, I'm gonna buy something completely different than if I was digging at 5pm. Different moods influence my taste. I'm weird like that.

Old Post Dec-02-2011 22:11  Mexico
Click Here to See the Profile for DjWoody Click here to Send DjWoody a Private Message Visit DjWoody's homepage! Add DjWoody to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

Great post, Jack. Should be stickied, imo.

Old Post Dec-04-2011 00:41 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
david.michael
Supreme tranceaddict

Add me to the "this is pretty much what I do but never thought to do random searches" list. I'll have to give that a whack.

Old Post Dec-08-2011 17:04  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for david.michael Click here to Send david.michael a Private Message Visit david.michael's homepage! Add david.michael to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
sebjr
Senior tranceaddict

nice - here are some other tips:

- use the mybeatport function to build a list of your favourite producers. i often find producers i like by listening to live sets of my fav djs. when i've id'd the cool tracks in the set, i'll add the producers who made the track into my beatport. that way when this producer makes a new track, i'll know about it. over the last couple of years my list has expanded so that with a couple of hours of searching i can improve my 'hit ratio' because i'm only listening to producers who are putting out good stuff.

Deep house, tech house, nu-disco, progressive.

Old Post Dec-18-2011 08:26  New Zealand
Click Here to See the Profile for sebjr Click here to Send sebjr a Private Message Add sebjr to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
mnemonic.
Michael-San

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by david.michael
Add me to the "this is pretty much what I do but never thought to do random searches" list. I'll have to give that a whack.

Me too.

Great advice. Affirmation that I'm doing something right. You especially nailed it on the point of using "My Beatport" to build a repertoire of artists and labels. This afternoon was spent clearing out artists I don't care for anymore.

Beatport Pro allows for grouping of artists and labels. I'm going to start trying that as well.

Lately, I've found Soundcloud to be a great tool. Following the artists you like, and having them deliver their music to your dashboard has yielded some great tracks.

Thanks for putting this together, I appreciated it, and I'm sure many others will too.

"Especially you" I said.
"You are virtually the ring leader, the way I see it."
Then, I blew out the candle.

Old Post Dec-27-2011 23:42  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for mnemonic. Click here to Send mnemonic. a Private Message Add mnemonic. to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
klappa
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Stu Cox
Good words. It is all about the trawling - and yes, it takes time.

The most useful bit is probably the Hold Bin part... there's no point in starting a fresh every time you decide you want to buy some tunes, there's so much music around that no one's going to pull you up on playing a tune which is a couple of months old, if it's the right tune to play.

I actually have my own 'hold bin' I keep separate from Beatport, which takes the form of a folder full of clips of tracks. Anything I like, I find a clip of on Beatport, Juno, SoundCloud, etc then throw it in that folder. Doing it like this simply means I'm not reliant on the track being on Beatport... it might not even be out yet, but I've still got a note of it. When I want to buy some tunes, I start there and look for things which fit what I'm after, then hunt around for a copy.

Which sort of bin is that? A Program?

Nice one System-J. Although i've been buying tracks or vinyls online since ten years those tips are still very helpful nonetheless.

Old Post Dec-29-2011 02:42 
Click Here to See the Profile for klappa Click here to Send klappa a Private Message Add klappa to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Euforix
The tips look very nice and handy.

The only problem is that I mainly support physical releases.

You are limiting yourself to a small minority of the music being released. If you can do that and still be satisfied with the music available to you, that's fine, but please don't complain if you can't find music and you're deliberately restricting your own selection.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jan-04-2012 15:40  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Brandt Slater
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by dj christian
Which sort of bin is that? A Program?

The hold bin is a place where you can store tracks until you decide to buy them or don't buy them. Scroll over My Account and Hold Bin will show up on the pull down.

Old Post Jan-04-2012 18:42 
Click Here to See the Profile for Brandt Slater Click here to Send Brandt Slater a Private Message Add Brandt Slater to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
n3lly
www.n3lly.com

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
You are limiting yourself to a small minority of the music being released. If you can do that and still be satisfied with the music available to you, that's fine, but please don't complain if you can't find music and you're deliberately restricting your own selection.

When did he complain? He simply stated that he plays physical releases. Nothing wrong or right about that.

Old Post Jan-04-2012 23:44 
Click Here to See the Profile for n3lly Click here to Send n3lly a Private Message Visit n3lly's homepage! Add n3lly to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I didn't say he was complaining, as such, but he did say it was a "problem", and this thread is intended to help people who are struggling to find music in the current market.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jan-05-2012 02:57  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
n3lly
www.n3lly.com

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I didn't say he was complaining, as such, but he did say it was a "problem", and this thread is intended to help people who are struggling to find music in the current market.

Agreed I think the comment in general (his) was irrelevant apart from the fact that he acknowledged it was a good informative post about Beatport..

Debating whether to sticky this or I might add it to one of the already stickied threads above but worry it won't get enough air time.

Old Post Jan-06-2012 01:15 
Click Here to See the Profile for n3lly Click here to Send n3lly a Private Message Visit n3lly's homepage! Add n3lly to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
duskykid
tranceaddict in training

love browsing the iphone beatport app during my morning shit.

ps long time lurker first post hi all

Old Post Jan-16-2012 21:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for duskykid Click here to Send duskykid a Private Message Add duskykid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > How To Use Beatport (Properly)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackInfected Mushroom ID [1969] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playback[1969]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread