Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > [Marathon mix] Theme Challenge 4 (COMPLETE)
Pages (13): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Mr Game+Watch
Luka Luka * Night Fever

I recorded a nice 4 hour mix a few days ago for a road trip... there are a few touch-ups I still need to do but I should be ready by next week. Will be a blend of nu-disco, deep house, and even some techno-ish Digweed style stuff.

Gotta give Chris' mix a listen, that looks intense!

Quarantine Music Festival 2020

All My Mixes!

Old Post May-08-2019 02:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Game+Watch Click here to Send Mr Game+Watch a Private Message Visit Mr Game+Watch's homepage! Add Mr Game+Watch to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
djdk
Nutritional Overachiever

I really didn't want to fail to deliver something on this, but with life being what it is, finding the time to prep properly and then finding 6 hours solid to record something has been a bit of a nightmare. Still, thanks to my wife being awesome and taking one for the team by agreeing to be sole parent for the afternoon on Sunday (with a hangover I might add) I was able to get something done...

I have been thinking about this challenge a fair amount, but the sheer enormity and the myriad directions/themes I kept coming up with made it difficult to focus and get started. However, the looming deadline (which I realise has been lifted now, but still it did some good) and getting a slot in which to do the recording narrowed my thinking and I finally settled on a context to guide the tune selections.

I was thinking about the places I would really enjoy playing a marathon set and I kept coming back to the idea of the late night area of Glastonbury festival. For those who don't know, there is a whole section of the site which is really dedicated to all things rave, with some very impressive stages, art installations all sorts of freaky stuff. Within that there are big stages and venues, but also lots of little hidden places, some probably no more than around 100 people in capacity (and some even smaller than that!). I've had some great evenings getting lost here and Its playing in one of these small venues that was my inspiration for this set.

Now these places are open for most of the day, but its after the main stages close at around midnight that the place really comes alive, running until 6am when the suns been up for at least a couple of hours. So, the timing for this set would be in that window, from midnight right the way through til dawn. The crowd wouldn't need warming up as such, having already had probably 8 hours of music already, but theres still a definate easing in for the first hour or so before getting into the meat of the thing. It then kind of meanders between chunky, sweaty summer night vibes and more agressive electro/breaks festival/party kinda sound. It definately doesnt take itself too seriously and there are a few parts where it changes gear quite suddenly.

I haven't really had much in the way of spare cash to put into buying tunes of late, so this is mostly older stuff. Hopefully not too much that's too overly familiar though!

Overall, Im pretty pleased with it. There are some tune selections that aren't quite right in terms of the flow of the thing but not many. I think if I had given a bit more time to preparation perhaps things might have been a bit smoother, but then again, it may never have materialised so...

Also, a word on the mixing. As part of an attempt to keep my concentration engaged for the whole 6 hours (something I was geniunely concerned about), I decided to mix the whole thing using my decks and the Traktor control vinyl (and a few choice cuts of real vinyl). Mostly this worked, but I had a few issues with wavering pitches due to my needles being very old and knackered. It also fair to say that, having not done much in the way of manual mixing in the last few years I'm probably not, er, match fit either. So, there are a few dodgy moments but again, nothing utterly awful.

Anyway, look forward to hearing any feedback from anyone wo manages to give the whole thing a listen! I know I need to go back and give others some feedback and now Ive got mine done I can concentrate a bit better, rather than just being distracted by thoughts of what the hell Im going to do!

Dave King - Lost In Shangri La

PT1

01: Sugar Daddy - One More time [Soul Jazz]
02: Kool Dj A.J. - Ah, That’s The Joint [Soul Jazz]
03: The Sweaty Hunks - Bump Ya Booty [East]
04: Krafty Kuts - Kick It With The Funk [FSUK]
05: Badboe - Loose Your Funky Self [Ordis]
06: Mr Bird - Keep On (Supafly) [Mustbeat]
07: Addison Groove - F1nk [Groove]
08: Kraak & Smaak - Dynamite (feat Sebastian & DJ Git Hyper - Kraak & Smaak's Boogie Funk version) [Bomb Strikes]
09: Joey Negro - Free Bass (feat Julian Crampton - Joey Negro Funk Equation mix) [Z Records]
10: Fort Romeau - Emu IV [Running Back Germany]
11: PBR Streetgang - Downstroke [Hot Creations]
12: Janet Rushmore - Joy (Kerri's Kaoz Gone Insane) [Z Records]
13: Up Yours - Tonight (Hifi Sean & Severino Afterhours Remix) [Southern Fried Records]
14: Saytek - Homage to the Godfather [Soundcloud]
15: Nanoplex - V.I. [Flow Records]
16: Sasha - Magnetic North (Lank Remix) [SoundCloud]
17: Force Mass Motion - Why Me (House Mix) [LOT49]
18: Tongue & Groove - Homegrown (Nanoplex Remix) (Nanoplex Remix) [LiquidTek]
19: Madox - Hypnotic Funk (Rightism Rave Re Edit) [Distinctive Records]
20: Paranoid Jack - Bring Back the Jack (Original Mix Re Mastered 2012) [Thrust Recordings]
21: Neurodriver - Ball of Judgement [Bandcamp]
22: Colombo - Everybody [iBreaks]

PT2
23: BSD - Compute (Housey Mix) [Mental Machine Muzik]
24: General Midi - 4 Million Ways (General Midi Mix) [Distinctive Records]
25: Kiwa - Primitive Groove [Elektroshok Records]
26: Dan F - Identify (Beta Remix) [Sound Of Habib]
27: Dave King - Echo [Soundcloud]
28: Medway - The Bassline Track (Jiva Roid Rage Mix) [Hooj Choons]
29: Adam Freeland - Silverlake Pills (Anil Chawla & Dale Anderson Remix) [Global Underground]
30: Shiloh - All That [Lowbit]
31: Brame & Hamo - Sports Complex [Brame & Hamo]
32: Montel - First Light [Bedrock Records]
33: Cevin Fisher - The Freaks Come Out (Anil Chawla Remix) [Subversive]
34: Ben Coda - Seed Of The Future (Meat Katie & Ben Coda Remix) [Lowering The Tone]
35: Turic - Crawler [LOT49]
36: Lee Coombs - Drone [Thrust Recordings]
37: Meat Katie - Momento (Electric Soulside Remix) [LOT49]
38: 30HZ - Innocent feat. Yolanda (Far Too Loud Dub Remix) [LOT49]
39: Evil Nine - All the Cash feat. El-P (Alex Metric Remix) [Marine Parade]
40: Joris Voorn - The Secret [Cocoon Recordings]
41: Lee Coombs/Christian J - Dubhead [Finger Lickin Records]
42: Will Saul - Cliff (Infusion Remix) [Simple Records]
43: Cass - Giant (Cass 4-4-2 Mix) (Cass 4-4-2 Mix) [Sabotage Systems]

PT3
44: Rob Hes - Role Model [Tronic]
45: Darren Emerson - Jupe [Intec]
46: Neurodriver - Pointilliste [Bandcamp]
47: E-Clip - Welkin [Iono Music]
48: Buds Not Bombs - Deleido feat. Irinia (Infusion Dub) [Baroque Back Catalogue]
49: Dino Lenny - I Feel Stereo (Remastered) [Yoshitoshi Recordings]
50: Mojolators ft Camilla - Driftin (King Unique Remix) [Multiply]
51: Cevin Fisher ft. Loleatta Holloway - You Got Me Burnin Up [Wonderboy]
52: Audio Noir - R3wind 1991 [Bonzai Progressive]
53: Electric Soulside - Venusia (Lee Coombs & Kostas G Remix) [LOT49]
54: Beta - Mad Rhythm [Succession Records]
55: Steve Parry - 303 V [Selador]
56: Paride Saraceni - The Only Way [Tronic]
57: Bluefish - One [Quad Communications]
58: Acidova - Killer Wheels (OOOD Remix) [Rune Recordings]
59: Hedflux - Rhythm Prism (Oood Remix) [Luminous]
60: Hedflux - Non-Stop (Bad Tango Remix) [Luminous]
61: Fletric - Into Sunrise (Too Dusty Remix) [Vim Records]
62: Muse - Knights of Cydonia (Future Funk Squad Remix) [SoundCloud]
63: Under This - Bulldozer [iBreaks]
64: Under This - Let Yourself Go [Symphonic Distribution]
65: Ghettface - Get Loud (Karton Remix) [Ridiculoud Records]
66: Devid - 7AM (Mauro Picotto Remix) [Alchemy]
67: Christian Smith - Flyertalk [Bedrock Records]
68: Fatboy Slim - Talking Bout My Baby (Midfield General's Disco Reshuffle) [Republic of Music]

Dave King - Tales Of The Future [Trance]
Dave King - Personal Classics
MIX ARCHIVE!!!

Old Post May-30-2019 19:44  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for djdk Click here to Send djdk a Private Message Visit djdk's homepage! Add djdk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr Game+Watch
Luka Luka * Night Fever

I was having a lot of trouble getting this off the ground. A mixture of not being terribly inspired by a lot of dance music I've heard in 2018 and so far this year, a total lack of free time, and the fact I haven't really had any opportunities to play out at a party or for my friends. But a 10 hour road trip a few weeks ago to Erie PA gave me an excuse to make something for the ride. Had to do a few retakes at parts because things weren't to my liking.

I love the marathon mix format since I like to traverse through a lot of different styles, this mix has me go from nu disco to deep house to prog and tech house, before finishing with uplifting, anthemic house. A lot of the songs are more recent, showcasing some favorites of mine. A trip to Japan last year inspired a few track selections, and I even managed to give my home island a bit of love with one of the songs. It clocks in at a little under 4 hours.

Really hope people take the time to listen and comment. I have listened to all the mixes posted so far except Dave's (which I will get to listening to very soon!) and you guys did a fantastic job. Still pretty blown away by Chris's 12 hour set :O

Tracklist

CLASSIXX - Pure Distraction
    Sunrise HWY - Compass Point (Tuff City Kids Nassau Mix)
    Tiger & Woods - A Lovely Change (Original Mix)
    Satin Jackets feat. Niya Wells - Lost In Japan (Dub)
    Satin Jackets feat. Niya Wells - Lost In Japan
    Satin Jackets - Night Keys
    House Of Pain - Jump Around (Nick Warren Remix)
    DJ Steef - Music Of The Hot
    Tensnake feat. Nile Rodgers and Fiora - Love Sublime
    Dennis Cruz & Leon - My Hood (Ewan Pearson Dub)
    Sally Shapiro and Tensnake - Moonlight Dance
    Darko Kustura - Twentytwo (Original Mix)
    Bag Raiders - Silverwood
    Todd Terje - Eurodans
    OOFT - Galaxy High
    Marco Grandi - Butterfly
    Anturage & Numera feat. Lena Grig - Confused
    Lane 8 - Without You
    Route 8 - From The Valley
    Project Pablo - Closer
    Midas 104 - Impuls (Original Mix)
    Danny Howells - Earthlings X (Original Mix)
    Labeuz - Deeplove
    Uone & Thankyou City - Good Morning Sunshine
    Sous Sol - Eventually
    Budakid - Anxiously
    Cut Snake - Desire (Original Mix)
    Dee Montero - Solace (BOg Remix)
    Brassica - Time Tunnel (The Sphinx Edit)
    ARTBAT & Rafael Cerato - Uplift (Original Mix)
    Darren Emerson, John Digweed & Nick Muir - Fanfare (Darren Emerson Osaka Rework)
    Richie Blacker - Crayon Muncher
    Dosem - Externalizer
    Sneaky Sound System - Can't Help The Way That I Feel (Holmes John Remix)
    Damian Lazarus & The Ancient Moons - Sacred Dance of The Demon (Gorgon City Remix)
    Icarus - Hiding
    DBN feat. Madita - Asteroidz (Sultan & Ned Shepard Remix)
    Alex Metric & Ten Ven - Otic
    Lounge Loafers - Waiting For A Girl (Fonzerelli 80's Dream Mix)
    Fort Romeau - Emu II
    DJ Tennis - Gordon

Download Link
Download Here (right click save as)

All My Mixes!

Old Post Jun-01-2019 03:54  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Game+Watch Click here to Send Mr Game+Watch a Private Message Visit Mr Game+Watch's homepage! Add Mr Game+Watch to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

And with that, I'm going to call this challenge completed. 72% completion rate, well done in all honesty. Props to Dave and Luke for sliding in right before the closing date. I look forward to hearing both of your mixes.

Please use the rest of the thread to discuss everyone's work and the challenge itself.

I listened to parts 1-5 of Chris' mix but haven't gotten to 6 yet. I'd like to just start over because that was a couple months ago. From what I remember, it was brilliant and Part 5 was obviously my favorite I am going to have some more time soon to listen to music so I'll be working my way through everyone else's mixes in due time.

Analyzing the challenge is more interesting, as we can tell quite clearly that it was a monstrous one. Deciding on the variety of interpretations and directions that one could take in such an extended time frame was probably half the battle. Most of the people who submitted a mix envisioned a setting that their mix would be played at (Jan even got to play it at the venue!), and structured it around that. I think everyone did a great job of powering through, and in my mind you're all great DJ's.

Set Archive | TA DJ Challenge

Old Post Jun-01-2019 14:03 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Well shit. Now I've got some serious listening to do.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jun-03-2019 18:48  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr Game+Watch
Luka Luka * Night Fever

Finished Dave's... I just gotta give mphreak's a listen, then take another listen to Sand Leaper's since it's been a while, then can review.

Has anyone took a listen to my mix yet, perchance?

All My Mixes!

Old Post Jun-17-2019 14:49  United States
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Haven't had chance to listen to anything yet, but yours is on my phone, Luke.

Old Post Jun-20-2019 19:42  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

Excited to give the the rest a listen.

I have a few road trips planned this week so these will make excellent soundtracks.

Putting all of these on my phone as we speak. I hope to provide some feedback as soon as I can.

Old Post Jun-24-2019 00:41 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
djdk
Nutritional Overachiever

I did listen to a fair few of these when people originally dropped them but I've decided to relisten through before reviewing. Just got to the end of Jack's mix. First time through, like nick I had it on in the background whilst working from home and listened to it all the way through whilst doing other things. Second time I've been listening on my daily commute in 90 minute chunks, but with a bit more focus.

Anyway, as others have said the tune selection, pacing and mixing are top notch. In terms of hitting the breif you gave yourself I think you totally nailed it. Been a while since I've had the opportunity to get to the sort of club you describe, but I know the kind of thing you had in mind and, yeah, pretty perfect in that regard.

There were some fantastic tunes in their, some of which I may well be yoinking. The little acid section was great and there was just the right sprinkling of vocals to keep things interesting without over doing things.

If I were to level one criticism it would be, as Jan has already mentioned, that as much as I enjoyed how smooth everything was, perhaps a few more unexpected turns could have been taken? Just to add a little more texture. This is, however, a minor complaint.

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Interesting. I would like to see a demonstration of your mixing in action, Dave. It has been a while.

Sorry, realised I never responded to this. If you want a good example of what I was talking about check out the latest I Like This, there a quite a few heavy baseline merges in there. If you want to see it in the flesh we might have to arrange some sort of session, gigs are fairly thin on the ground these days!

Dave King - Tales Of The Future [Trance]
Dave King - Personal Classics
MIX ARCHIVE!!!

Old Post Jun-28-2019 07:19  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for djdk Click here to Send djdk a Private Message Visit djdk's homepage! Add djdk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

It's a completely fair criticism, and since I recorded it I've made more of an effort to find some Bicep-style breaksy stuff to punctuate the smoothness in my sets. I was hoping the acid stuff would provide a shake-up but over six hours a bit more was probably required.

Back in December I saw Laurent Garnier play exactly this kind of set in exactly the kind of club I described in my blurb, and he had a few sections where he'd play 20 minutes of disco or even speed garage. While I didn't necessarily love the speed garage, it was a really effective palate-cleanser for when the techno came storming back in.

Anyway, I am hoping to get onto your mix (and everyone else's) in the next week or so. The missus is away for a week so there's no one to stop me blasting six hours of whatever music I so desire.

And yeah, I'd love to have a mix with you at some point, and not just to see your filter skills.

Old Post Jun-28-2019 08:59  England
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Okay, I've managed to listen to Luke's mix in one continuous, uninterrupted sitting. The first thing to say here is that you haven't really given a concept for where this mix would be played, except as a personal mixtape for a long drive. It was a bit difficult for me to imagine a setting where you'd traverse this array of music in front of a crowd, except possibly a house party where the drug intake seriously ramps up about halfway through. In light of that, all I can really do is review this as a straight-up DJ mix divorced of any imagined context.

So, in that case, I felt this was a mix of two halves. The first half didn't quite grab me, as you play a lot of very poppy '80s-infused house which is obviously your jam, but is not up my street. Things come out of the block pretty blazing, without a slow acclimatisation before the big songs, which also caught me slightly cold. Don't get me wrong - there are still some absolutely cracking tunes in there. The Nick Warren remix of Jump Around, the DJ Steef tune immediately after and the Ewan Pearson Remix not long after that were all slo-mo bangers of the highest class. A little later on you have Ooft! - Galaxy High, which I've played myself in a previous challenge mix, and which sounded really good here.

For me, this mix really hits its stride with the Danny Howells tune about halfway through. From then on it begins to feel like a much more focused club mix and builds fluidly into some delectable thumpers. The long stretch from Artbat right through to Alex Metric & Ten Ven was just tune after tune, and I like the way you managed to be properly peak time whilst still being very housey. Top work. The closing wind-down was also well executed.

So yes. I am aware that on every mix I've reviewed thus far, I've basically said I liked the second half more than the first. Maybe I'm just an impatient bastard who just wants the big tunes. I am trying to get onto the other mixes, but my Internet connection in this new house is being phenomenally shit at the moment, to the extent I can't even open my emails, never mind download a twelve hour set. I'm going to have to do it on the sly at work and hope the IT manager doesn't ask why I'm downloading hundreds of megabytes of data from an unknown URL.

Old Post Jul-02-2019 21:13  England

If you want Jack, I can throw my mix onto a USB and mail them to you the old fashioned way. I don't think a USB would cost me that much in terms of shipping.

Just so that you aren't caught at work. Let me know.

Old Post Jul-02-2019 21:25 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > [Marathon mix] Theme Challenge 4 (COMPLETE)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (13): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackEurodance Old Song ID (feat by Shiloh) [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackJoshua Ryan - Pistolwhip [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread