Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > How To Use Beatport (Properly)
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

Nicely put together, Jack.

I had already been practicing a number of these suggestions for some time now, though my core approach to navigating through Beatport continues to prove as effective as it is maddeningly time consuming: to browse each and every track from my genres of interest on a day by day basis.

There is just so much quality material that I'm positive I would have overlooked had I relied solely upon refined searching methods and cross-referencing. It's disheartening spending hours upon hours only to walk away with almost nothing (which happens quite often), but running into that incredible gem always makes it all worth it.

And I've maxed out the hold bins and crates of about three accounts, by now. Sadly, I won't get around to buying a great number of these tracks, but I'm just happy being aware of their existence, and having a reliable source by which to reference them whenever I please.

EDIT:

To further add to 'Combine Beatport with other resources,' I would suggest that you research a particular artist you're interested in beyond what Beatport has to offer. Beatport doesn't always contain a complete discography of the artist in question, especially if they have unreleased material or a far-reaching back catalog- and it's a great way to get into the histories of the people you're into.

Also, be sure to search by title if you run into a track you like that's region exclusive, or available only as an album download, as there are often multiple releases of a track on Beatport.

Last edited by Paradox Lost on Jan-18-2012 at 14:12

Old Post Jan-18-2012 14:00  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Paradox Lost Click here to Send Paradox Lost a Private Message Add Paradox Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ChrstnMchl
Senior tranceaddict

Thanks for the tips! I'm so glad I just popped over here cause this is really helpful. I just made the switch to Traktor from exclusively vinyl last month and find quality music has been daunting to say the least so this post is a God send.

And I totally agree that buying vinyl was the best crapfilter ever (I have certainly mentioned that on here before), but, alas, in order to maintain relevance and step up my game I needed to make the switch. Now I can also play multiple genres whereas it was entirely too costly to stay current on everything in house, trance, breaks, progressive, and techno.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post this!

Old Post Jan-19-2012 16:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for ChrstnMchl Click here to Send ChrstnMchl a Private Message Add ChrstnMchl to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Beatty
Suspended User

#1 works for me.

Old Post Jan-20-2012 19:57  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Beatty Click here to Send Beatty a Private Message Add Beatty to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
itsamemario
Divine Angel

umm so liek yesterday BP was down due to maintenance, and i was gonna go try out a few new tracks, so i thought i'd check to see if BP had any new recommendations for me based on my, now quite extensive hold bin, but now the feature seems to be removed during the maintenance. LAME.

Is it working for anyone still, have they mayhaps exchanged it in a 'based on tunes you've purchased'-feature?

Old Post Feb-14-2012 17:00  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for itsamemario Click here to Send itsamemario a Private Message Visit itsamemario's homepage! Add itsamemario to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Beatport has been buggy as shit for the last couple of days. I've no idea what they're doing with it right now, but there's been no end of problems.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Feb-15-2012 19:05  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Beatport has been buggy as shit for the last couple of days. I've no idea what they're doing with it right now, but there's been no end of problems.

Beatport has always been a slow as hell and buggy piece of shit. It randomly crashes my browser, refuses to play tracks, refuses to load the hold bin, refuses to load pages and often takes about 2 weeks to load a new page.

Old Post Feb-15-2012 19:24 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
itsamemario
Divine Angel

Ah k, well lets hope that's what it is then.

ANd man you guys have similar avatars and you both started your posts in the same way so I was confused as hell for a moment

And come to think about it, I've been noticing errors when adding to cart etc too..

Last edited by itsamemario on Feb-18-2012 at 10:58

Old Post Feb-15-2012 20:31  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for itsamemario Click here to Send itsamemario a Private Message Visit itsamemario's homepage! Add itsamemario to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
itsamemario
Divine Angel

I've visited BP several times since last post and the recommendations are nowhere to be seen, and I've restarted the computer a couple of times too, so it's definitely not my flash/chromium acting up either.

Can anyone deny or confirm not seeing the recommendations since feb 14?

Old Post Feb-18-2012 10:59  Norway
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by dj_alfi
I've visited BP several times since last post and the recommendations are nowhere to be seen, and I've restarted the computer a couple of times too, so it's definitely not my flash/chromium acting up either.

Can anyone deny or confirm not seeing the recommendations since feb 14?

I'm on it right now (using chrome on a PC) and the only recommendations I can see are the "Based on your last purchases". There's no other recommendations to be found (obviously apart from your saved artists/labels/etc in "my beatport" tab to the left).

Old Post Feb-18-2012 18:34 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Rodri Santos
Supreme tranceaddict

With chrome works better, i've always an issue where it opens several pop ups regarding my password but this html version in general works better than the flash one for me. This said the website is crap in terms of efficiency.

Old Post Feb-18-2012 18:49  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for Rodri Santos Click here to Send Rodri Santos a Private Message Add Rodri Santos to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
itsamemario
Divine Angel

quote:
Originally posted by Rodri Santos
With chrome works better, i've always an issue where it opens several pop ups regarding my password but this html version in general works better than the flash one for me. This said the website is crap in terms of efficiency.

[rant]
Google Chrome is really not an option for me. I run Crunchbang Linux 64-bit, and there are known issues with flash on 64-bit systems, but I guess that's the price to pay to unstable and experimental releases.
Speaking of, I chose this distro because it's supposed to break often, hence the Crunch Bang, cus I find that I learn best when I have to repair stuff, but apart from some minor fixes there's been fine little to do apart from some conky configing, so now I've taken up animation!
[/rant]

Would you mind checking Beatport to see if the recommendation section has been removed?

I can't see anything indicating anything is missing from the section below the hold bin. By that, normally when a site crashes there's usually an indicator such as design being f'd up etc, and I'm seeing none of that.

Old Post Feb-19-2012 00:17  Norway
n3lly
www.n3lly.com

I'm actually going to sticky this for a month or two let it get some air on the front page with the amount of effort that was put in by System-J..

Think I've already linked in the other Noobie guide..

Old Post Feb-26-2012 01:34 
Click Here to See the Profile for n3lly Click here to Send n3lly a Private Message Visit n3lly's homepage! Add n3lly to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > How To Use Beatport (Properly)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacktrance id please [2005] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSundance - Won't Let This Feeling Go [2001]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread