Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Jordan Peterson
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
ziptnf
Programming your future

quote:
Originally posted by JEO
I don't know how seriously he is taken in a more narrower context closer to his field of expertise, but a quick Google on the guy reveals an interview where he advocates ingesting only meat, salt, and water. He also claims to have not slept at all in 25 days after downing one apple cider or something.

Are we sure Jordan Peterson isn't just an alias for William Ashley?

Set Archive | TA DJ Challenge

Old Post Feb-21-2019 13:20 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow

quote:
Originally posted by JEO
I don't know how seriously he is taken in a more narrower context closer to his field of expertise, but a quick Google on the guy reveals an interview where he advocates ingesting only meat, salt, and water. He also claims to have not slept at all in 25 days after downing one apple cider or something.

I spotted that too. Apparently he became a meatartarian in 2018 for medical reasons. God I’ve been keeping that word in my back pocket for such a moment. What I gather from reading his wiki bio that smart and crazy are not mutually exclusive bed fellows.

Old Post Feb-21-2019 16:36 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sand Leaper
Tension hunter

quote:
Originally posted by Jon_Snow
I spotted that too. Apparently he became a meatartarian in 2018 for medical reasons. God I’ve been keeping that word in my back pocket for such a moment. What I gather from reading his wiki bio that smart and crazy are not mutually exclusive bed fellows.

I think it came from his daughter, who claims to have cured her rheumatoid arthritis through a carnivore diet. https://mikhailapeterson.com/2016/12/07/the-list/

Meat actually has a lot more nutrients than people give it credit for, provided you actually eat organ meats, bone marrow and other cuts, and don't just munch on ribeyes and ground beef all day. I'm still not convinced that this justifies the associated colorectal cancer risk and what large scale red meat consumption does to your cholesterol ratio, though.

Old Post Feb-21-2019 17:49  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow

I hope he eliminates nuts from his diet

Old Post Feb-21-2019 18:37 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
Meat actually has a lot more nutrients than people give it credit for, provided you actually eat organ meats, bone marrow and other cuts, and don't just munch on ribeyes and ground beef all day. I'm still not convinced that this justifies the associated colorectal cancer risk and what large scale red meat consumption does to your cholesterol ratio, though.

Not to mention you'd get practically zero fibre in your diet. I made the mistake once of going to a Brazilian rodizio grill and only eating meat. That was a bad idea.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Feb-21-2019 20:17  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sand Leaper
Tension hunter

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Not to mention you'd get practically zero fibre in your diet. I made the mistake once of going to a Brazilian rodizio grill and only eating meat. That was a bad idea.

Surprisingly, all the anecdotes I see from people on the diet (anecdotal data is pretty much all there is thus far, since it is so new and nobody has done any proper research on the diet) hardly mention gastrointestinal problems at all. If you have things like Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, I can imagine the diet being very attractive to you. It's also very attractive to ex-vegans, who often fall apart after a long period on a vegan diet due to its high antinutrient load.

I think a bigger potential problem is the effect that gorging yourself on fat and amino acids has on your gut flora. It'll give an avalanche of nourishment to bacteria that produce potentially dangerous amounts of byproducts during the breakdown of amino acids, such as the toxic compound cadaverine. Furthermore, all meat contains trans fats in very small amounts. On an omnivorous diet, that's nothing to worry about, but what happens when you are eating meat CONSTANTLY?

Old Post Feb-21-2019 20:44  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

I can imagine it getting pretty dull at about a week in. Having a nearly meat-only barbecue two or three days straight during a good summer is nothing extreme, but even that can make one avoid meat for a few days. And that's well-seasoned or even marinated meat.

Last edited by JEO on Feb-21-2019 at 22:59

Old Post Feb-21-2019 22:13  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for JEO Click here to Send JEO a Private Message Add JEO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Look, I love meat and I already eat far too much of it, but eating only meat is manifestly stupid for so many reasons. Not only are the health implications uncharted, but it must be hideously expensive and it's environmentally disastrous. All the recommendations are that we should be radically reducing the amount of meat we consume, not upping it to 100% of our diet.

Old Post Feb-21-2019 23:08  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

quote:
but eating only meat is manifestly stupid for so many reasons. Not only are the health implications uncharted

The Inuit seemed to get by just fine subsisting on a meat-only diet.

(~)

Old Post Feb-21-2019 23:34  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sand Leaper
Tension hunter

quote:
Look, I love meat and I already eat far too much of it, but eating only meat is manifestly stupid for so many reasons. Not only are the health implications uncharted, but it must be hideously expensive and it's environmentally disastrous. All the recommendations are that we should be radically reducing the amount of meat we consume, not upping it to 100% of our diet.

I dunno, if 100% meat, fish and dairy in my diet would prevent me from having to shit blood six times per day and suffer massive stomach cramps leading up to my bowel movements, I'd probably take it. This despite there being a chance that I'd croak seven years earlier than necessary.

Furthermore, our entire food system runs on profit. There's good reason to be skeptical towards anyone telling you that the world should adhere to a specific diet when they are backed by corporations who provide exactly the foods that this diet is based on.

Old Post Feb-21-2019 23:40  Norway
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
Furthermore, our entire food system runs on profit. There's good reason to be skeptical towards anyone telling you that the world should adhere to a specific diet when they are backed by corporations who provide exactly the foods that this diet is based on.

I'm struggling to discern what your point is. Is this some kind of "Big Arable" tinfoilery?

Also, the percentage of people with Crohn's disease is very low, and obviously someone who has a very specific illness related to the digestive tract is exempt from a normal conversation about diet. I don't think that has much relevance to the likes of Jordan Peterson and the specific claims they're making for this kind of diet.

Old Post Feb-21-2019 23:56  England
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Sykonee
The Inuit seemed to get by just fine subsisting on a meat-only diet.

That's because they ate very specific things like whale skin that has an unusual nutritional composition. You could replicate that but it would be very difficult and a lot more complex than just dining on domestically raised red meat.

Old Post Feb-22-2019 00:05  England

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Jordan Peterson
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackfrom djdoboy trancequility 32 [2005] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackBasic Dawn - "Pure Thrust" (Nu-Nrg Mix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread