Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Friday 232
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Jon_Snow

quote:
Originally posted by Vivid Boy
I’ve had a month from hell. I’m just going to stay in and lick my wounds.

I take it you won’t be going to the opera this weekend?

Old Post Oct-04-2019 22:39 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vivid Boy
TA's GodFather

Lol nope!

Old Post Oct-04-2019 23:11 
Click Here to See the Profile for Vivid Boy Click here to Send Vivid Boy a Private Message Add Vivid Boy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
Look forward to hearing what you think about The Joker. My wife is concerned it will contribute to Incel murder-rampages. I said that if she thinks that, we should ban all rap/hip-hop/drill music

I enjoyed it. I thought it was very good. I would have cut the last five minutes as they were a bit on-the-nose, but they don't spoil the film.

I think it's funny how spooked the left are getting about the film, because it's actually conveying a very left wing political subtext. It's also implicitly critical of the whole political principle of the Batman universe, which was refreshing. A bit like how Dredd hints at the fascism of its own hero. Definitely worth seeing.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Oct-05-2019 00:20  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
planetaryplayer
Surpeme traineanddict

Just paid a midget to cut my toe nails with their teeth

Old Post Oct-05-2019 01:37  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I enjoyed it. I thought it was very good. I would have cut the last five minutes as they were a bit on-the-nose, but they don't spoil the film.

I think it's funny how spooked the left are getting about the film, because it's actually conveying a very left wing political subtext. It's also implicitly critical of the whole political principle of the Batman universe, which was refreshing. A bit like how Dredd hints at the fascism of its own hero. Definitely worth seeing.

I've heard it called a movie that is intentionally trying to become a college-dorm poster. Accurate?

/whole thing brings about a shruggy gif from me

(~)

Old Post Oct-05-2019 02:03  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mebot
Maverick

Debating about going out to see Carl Craig tonight in Seattle

Old Post Oct-05-2019 05:40 
Click Here to See the Profile for Mebot Click here to Send Mebot a Private Message Add Mebot to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Sykonee
I've heard it called a movie that is intentionally trying to become a college-dorm poster. Accurate?

/whole thing brings about a shruggy gif from me

The character isn't iconised as some kind of charismatic anti-hero for angry young men, if that's what you're asking. It sounds like you've fallen into the kind of second-hand cynicism people get when they're not really interested in some cultural talking point, but find themselves reading lots about it anyway.

Old Post Oct-05-2019 07:38  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
International Playa Hater

Since I wouldn't even know where to begin in order to critique last night's performance properly, I will just share this review which resonates very much with how I felt about it. There are some great images too, which I definitely could not do justice to describe the striking visual display of this production.

http://operacanada.ca/coc-turandot-review-2019/

One of the main takeaways for me was how the stark yet bold look of the production was contrasted with the lush, emotional nature of the music. It didn't seem to jive, yet heightened the music all the more because of it. The end result was actually very exciting, intense, and powerful, imo.

The review confirms what my friend and I thought about the tenor/Calaf - his voice just was not powerful enough, especially compared to the soprano/Turandot (she was incredible). I did not get the feels I was hoping for from the tenor's performance of Nessun Dorma; however, the third act as a whole was greatly satisfying.

Overall I could not have made a better choice for my first opera outing; the production really was right up my alley and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm sure there's much more to be picked apart by people who have a better understanding of the techniques employed by the director. But I don't, so I don't care, and I'm fine with that.

Old Post Oct-05-2019 11:18 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

quote:
It sounds like you've fallen into the kind of second-hand cynicism people get when they're not really interested in some cultural talking point, but find themselves reading lots about it anyway.

Heh, cannot deny that, except the cynical take. More intrigued by the discussions surrounding this movie than anything. With such inspired takes ranging from "DANGER! This Movie Promotes Mass Shootings" to "Joker is 1000% Genius - Imagine Skipping Something This Good Because 'Controversy'" (yes, that's a real one I've seen via YouTube's Recommendations), you bet I'm sifting through the discourse with interest.

The 'dorm poster' take was one that got a good chuckle out of me, and was wondering if there's any validity to it.

(~)

Last edited by Sykonee on Oct-05-2019 at 14:53

Old Post Oct-05-2019 14:41  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
–30–

quote:

I enjoyed it, too. Thought some parts were dragging a bit and others were brilliant. I hadn't and still haven't read anything about the movie online. I just heard from others who watched it that it was "very violent" and "scary." So I expected it to be full of action-packed scenes; it wasn't. I didn't think it was very violent or scary at all. In the end, I felt satisfied with how the story came together to introduce Joker to Gotham City and us the viewer. There's so much to dissect and discuss here, but it's hard to do so without spoilers. I'm sure it's all been talked or written about in one way or another by this point, anyway. That's what makes Joker so interesting, I guess. We had a good conversation about its parallels to today's society, which doesn't happen after every movie we see.

I really hated the advertisements and previews. Does anyone actually enjoy them? Unfortunately we got there too early to miss out. Every movie in the previews had one thing in common: guns galore. The Fresh Prince and Arnold need to retire ffs.

Oh, last but certainly not least. I really liked the score. The soundtrack was alright; however, I was somewhat baffled by the Jock Jams hit when it came on. Kids will eat that scene up, though, so I suppose its intended effect works.

quote:
Originally posted by Mebot
Debating about going out to see Carl Craig tonight in Seattle

Saw him at ADE last year and he spent half his set on the mic. So annoying

Fortunately the rest of the Detroit crew that followed quickly restored the vibe. But I nearly walked out on that party.

Old Post Oct-06-2019 06:49 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

The score was great. I'm a sucker for the cello, it's such a haunting instrument. By "Jock Jams" I'm guessing you mean Rock & Roll Part 2 by everyone's favourite '70s child molester Gary Glitter? For me it had the unintentional side effect of making me want to burst out into the chorus of Doctorin' The Tardis.

(Sykonee will know exactly what I'm getting at here.)

Old Post Oct-06-2019 08:40  England
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

quote:
The score was great. I'm a sucker for the cello, it's such a haunting instrument. By "Jock Jams" I'm guessing you mean Rock & Roll Part 2 by everyone's favourite '70s child molester Gary Glitter? For me it had the unintentional side effect of making me want to burst out into the chorus of Doctorin' The Tardis.

(Sykonee will know exactly what I'm getting at here.)

Well, it is the superior version of that chorus.

(~)

Old Post Oct-08-2019 01:30  Canada

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Friday 232
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackunknown track [2015] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackOxygen - "Am I On Your Mind" (Lustral Mix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread