Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Euphoria's Interview Thread (Updates: Funkerman, Daniel Wanrooy, Redroche, Kyau & Albert)
Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
magocbluestar80
Senior tranceaddict

Re: Euphoria's Interview Thread 2010-2011...(Updates: Jaytech & Tristan Garner)

quote:
Originally posted by euphoria
NEWEST INTERVIEWS WILL ALWAYS BE ON THE LAST PAGE!!

http://www.365mag.com/index.php?pg=...+Music+Magazine

365Mag recently caught up with DJ Tiesto on Friday September 25th in New York just prior to day two of his three day performance at Hammerstein Ballroom for the kick off for the Kaleidoscope World Tour to promote his latest album.

The Kaleidoscope album is set for official release on October 6th, 2009 on Ultra Records, and it contains seventeen original Tiesto tracks featuring a number of collaborations with artists of various styles and genres including Calvin Harris, Sara & Tegan, Cary Brothers, Nelly Furtado, and more.

He speaks of a new direction for his music and his reasoning behind it, as well as some of his goals for the future. Is the world ready for the new Tiesto and his diverse selections. Let's find out...

How are you doing today
Good, thanks.

How did your gig at Hammerstein go last night?
It was good, it was the opening of the World Tour.

Are you excited for tonight?
Yeah, tonight is going to be even better I think.

I hope so, I am going to be there.
Oh yeah? Nice.

Is this the career you envisioned for yourself when you were younger?
No, I dreamt about it, but I never expected to become so big all over the world.

What did you initially want to do?
I just wanted to work in the music business, no matter what. Like be a tour manager or work for a record company. I love music.

How do you feel about the current styles of Trance music that are being released?
I got a little bored of it to be honest. I think this summer has been a big change for me, in a way that I am not scared anymore to play anything else. I adjust from every style at the moment. I play a couple of House records, Techno, and some Trance records still, Pop mixes and Indie. I'm all over the place at the moment.

What style of music do you particularly favor at the moment?
I like a lot of House records, but it's more of an eclectic thing I think. A bit of everything. I can play a Calvin Harris record, The Editors, a House record, a big Trance track from Marcel Woods.

Is that the same reason you are trying to do something different with the album now?
That's how it started, with the album I started to notice artists and they were so creative and so open minded to everything. I felt like I should look into other artist too, and I love Trance music but I just felt like it all sounds the same. It gets boring after a while.

I can agree with that...
When you take time out from being a DJ, which DJ's do you respect and tune into?

I get along with a lot of DJ's. I like the House DJ's a lot. The Swedish House Mafia is one of my favorites. I love those guys, and I bumped into them a couple of times. They are always friendly and down to Earth. David Guetta is good guy too, I like him a lot.

With the latest advancements in technology many DJ's have turned away from hardware and are using laptops. Have you ever tried this and do you anticipate you will ever convert to using this technology?
Well I do on a production level. I am very into Abelton at the moment. As a DJ I think in the future you can't avoid it but for now I still love my CD's. I feel almost like it's vinyl a little bit. I'm old skool when it comes to DJing. I like to mix, not with a laptop.

In the past, you played a solo gig at Mansion where you performed from opening to closing. Is there any chance the U.S. may see another of these marathon sets?
I'll do marathons in New York, I mean five hours every night is pretty big nowadays.

We want more Tiesto!!
Haha, even more?

Yes, EVEN MORE!
Well, I have to give the opening DJ a chance as well. The Hammerstein Ballroom is pretty much solo. I mean, they open up at ten or nine and I go on at eleven.

Ok, I am glad to hear that.
I'm on from 11-4 and tomorrow from 10-3.

Of all of the places you could have began your Kaleidoscope tour, why did you select New York?
Well I wanted to start in America because the last time I started my tour in Europe. I switched it up. I love America. I love to play here; I love to be here. New York is a great city to open the show. Everybody is here, it's a very international city. Exposure wise it's amazing.

In what ways has your life changed since you became married?
I never got married.

Really, I thought you were married?
No.

So, Tiesto is still single?
Yeah, I've gone back to being single. I was supposed to get married and everything got canceled.

Ok, I will leave that one alone then...
Cut! (jokingly signals cut hand gesture) haha

Have you ever considered releasing any 2009/2010 renditions of any of your classics?
Yeah, I am thinking about it. May be next year. Black Hole Recordings wants to release an album with all the big tunes from Tiesto on there and I might sneak in a couple of remixes of some oldies.

Will Magikal Circus ever be released?
I hope so.

A lot of people are waiting on that one, it's a good track.
It's released on the DVD but it's never been released as a single. I think it's time to write to Black Hole Recordings and tell them to release it.

I think that's a good idea.

Are you currently working on any collaboration with other artists or vocalists?
Yeah, at the moment I feel like the whole production thing is so innovative at the moment. My new work style; I am continuously working on new projects. You are pretty much up to date so you know all about the Three 6 Mafia track, and Dizzee Rascal. I'm actually working on a Muse remix. I got some others...

You got some tricks up your sleeve?
Yeah, I've got plenty of stuff.

Can you mention any upcoming artists that you may have scheduled for the fifteen minutes of fame on your radio show Club Life?
No, we do it by week. Every week we decide. Everybody is welcome to send in fifteen minutes. We already have a bunch of big name producers on it but I'd like to have somebody from a bedroom in New York or Paris.

Where would someone send that in?
On Tiesto.com you can find the info.

I'll send you one, how about that?
I'd like that. Do you have one with you now?

No, I don't have one with me at the moment.
Send it to Ben, he is my assistant. He selects the fifteen minutes of fame.

What are some of your goals for the rest of this year?
Surviving!

Thats a good one.
Well my goals are to promote the album and to get people excited about it. It's a very controversial album. I think it's a whole new Tiesto out there, and everybody is shocked. A lot of people like it, a lot of people don't. It's nice to see how it develops, but I think at the end it's going to be all positive. People have to get used to it. I think it's a good thing.

Well, that pretty much wraps it up. Thank you.

365Mag would like to thank DJ Tiesto for his time and answers!

Live Video: (please excuse the wind, we were on the patio)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flzv176FdSU

i remember this ..

Old Post Mar-16-2011 12:21  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for magocbluestar80 Click here to Send magocbluestar80 a Private Message Add magocbluestar80 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
hitokiri
Jugulatin Foos Everywhere

i like jaytechs response bout personality bit its def true but srsly i cant wait for carl cox interview an when the hell is he coming back to ny ffs

check out my radio show Harmonic Dissonance every 1st Thursday of the month at 10:00 pm EST on Party103
*** upcoming gigs***
TBD

Old Post Mar-16-2011 15:54  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for hitokiri Click here to Send hitokiri a Private Message Visit hitokiri's homepage! Add hitokiri to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
magocbluestar80
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by hitokiri
i like jaytechs response bout personality bit its def true but srsly i cant wait for carl cox interview an when the hell is he coming back to ny ffs

do i sense some Carl Cox fever !! someone cool him down !!

come 2 Time Warp with us foool !!!

Old Post Mar-16-2011 16:39  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for magocbluestar80 Click here to Send magocbluestar80 a Private Message Add magocbluestar80 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira Yin
Senior tranceaddict

"Jaytech: Stop browsing the Internet and do some work! Also see you in Miami"

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

b-but the Internets!

Old Post Mar-16-2011 18:45  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Yin Click here to Send Lira Yin a Private Message Visit Lira Yin's homepage! Add Lira Yin to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ_Rafnel
Microbrew Addict

Loving this Jaytech interview. The guy is a genius.

Email for promo/press contact

Old Post Mar-16-2011 20:00  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ_Rafnel Click here to Send DJ_Rafnel a Private Message Visit DJ_Rafnel's homepage! Add DJ_Rafnel to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Skeptic
Supreme tranceaddict

Euphoria, do you know when is he coming to the city? (Jaytech)

Old Post Mar-16-2011 23:43 
Click Here to See the Profile for Skeptic Click here to Send Skeptic a Private Message Add Skeptic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

quote:
Originally posted by skalariak
Euphoria, do you know when is he coming to the city? (Jaytech)

Not at the moment, but I am doing some more interviews at the Anjunabeats event.... may be I can pry some info outta someone

P.S. George Acosta interview will be posted this evening....

Old Post Mar-17-2011 13:53  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

Additional interviews confirmed....

Jody Wisternoff and Carlo Lio

Old Post Mar-17-2011 17:35  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Excess
Somewhere, Out There

quote:
Originally posted by euphoria
Additional interviews confirmed....

Jody Wisternoff and Carlo Lio

niceee, excited for the wisternoff interview keep it up z!

Old Post Mar-17-2011 18:00 
Click Here to See the Profile for Excess Click here to Send Excess a Private Message Visit Excess's homepage! Add Excess to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

Add.....

Desyn Masiello

Old Post Mar-17-2011 19:53  United States
euphoria

MMW - Anjunabeats at Ice Palace Special Feature: Interview with Soundprank

http://www.electronicnightlife.com/

As a part of Electronic Night Life's Miami Music Week coverage we bring you a special interview from Soundprank who performed at the Anjunabeats party at Ice Palace presented by Made Event on Thursday March 24th, 2011. Soundprank played an opening set in the Anjunadeep room, which we recently learned was surprisingly only his second gig ever.

Greetings! First and foremost can you tell us how did you come up with the name Soundprank?

I thought it was kind of catchy and nobody else had it, it sort of just stuck after a couple tracks! I think it works though as I tend not to take music too seriously, even though I'm highly passionate about all things music, the name constantly reminds me to enjoy it and just have fun.

At what age did you decide you had a special interest in music?

I've been a musician my whole life. As many fans and fellow musicians can attest to, like them, my parents put me into music programs at a young age, thought I didn't have as much of an appreciation for it then. It wasn't actually until I was in my high school years that it dawned on me how much power music had on people as I really started to explore music on all levels. I really got into analyzing how music could affect people on an emotional level, that part really gets me, more or less gets me obsessed with figuring out how that happens. I love that a piece of sound can hold so much weight and energy and really create a sense of being transported away, or create the sensation of slowing down time, etc… The point is I'm absolutely fascinated by how we react to sound.

When did you first learn to use mixing and production equipment?

That's been an ongoing thing for me as I've been teaching myself for a few years on how to mix and master, it hasn't always been easy but it's some of the most fun I've ever had. There's this element of self-reflection that occurs when I'm in the studio that really lets me step back and remove myself from the equation, almost like I watch the world or imagine it from the same perspective as how one looks through a window.

How long had you been producing before one of your tracks or remixes received recognition?

I had been just experimenting and playing with Reason and Fruityloops for a bit, probably around 3 years but it was always just a weekend thing or something I'd do for an hour. Had you asked me if I'd be producing like this a couple years ago I'd have told you that I had no plans to even be producing. I got into it as I ended high school and then really focused on refining my approach and trying to just create the best sounds I could make. It's a constant process of improvement mind you; for anything creative there really is no defined start or end date on this sort of thing as it's something that has been in you the whole time, only you go about discovering it one step at a time. Sometimes you make leaps and bounds and sometimes you meander along at a snails pace. For me its really accelerated in the last 2 years I'd say, I think it's mostly that I'm able to learn from mistakes faster and repeat the quality better.

Which fellow DJ's were among the first to support your tracks?

Funnily enough, when I first released my Endgame album, it didn't receive much press, but somehow Tiesto got a hold of one of the clubbier tracks called Sand and played it on his radio show. That for me was somewhat of a breakthrough I think, but I just didn't have the reputation nor the following for it to make much impact, it was more like, it was a catchy tune that got played but then there was nothing else for people to follow it on as I hadn't released anything before. I'm a very low-key person by nature so I prefer to have the obscurity and anonymity with producing, however I'm trying to change that at a controlled rate. Apart from Tiesto I got support from I think other well-known DJs like Nick Warren, Jaytech, and others who I can't recall at this moment.

Were you excited to perform at the Anjunabeats event in Miami?

Oh yes, yes indeed.

What else was on your agenda during your stay in Miami?

I think this sort of thing is really important for guys like me because it not only lets us see the scene where it's really concentrated, but it lets us meet fellow producers and DJ's, even if it's just to shake someone's hand and let them know you're an actual person and not a robot or something. In the music world everything counts for something, so I think that's the biggest benefit, it also lets us hear amazing new tunes that haven't seen the light of day yet.

What is the largest event you have ever performed at?

Well, this will only be my 2nd ever DJ gig, so I can only refer to the 1st gig I did in Philadelphia. I had a blast and it really introduced me to the element of live electronic music from a perspective that I had little experience with. It was great though, it's hard to describe but it's something that you continually want more of, an addiction if you will.

Which venue do you frequent in your hometown when you are not performing?

I'm usually not into the club scene so much as I'm either too busy outside of music or I'm producing. For me, time spent outside of producing is equally as important as the time spent in the studio, so I try to keep a balance of everything. I'm just not that big of a clubber at the moment if that's surprising. I like the process of creating the tracks very much though, but I try to keep a diverse set of influences so I that I have many sources of inspiration.

How do you feel that your remixes and productions set you apart from other artists?

I get asked that often but to be honest I wouldn't really know. I don't compare myself to other artists, I just do what sounds good to me, so it's more or less the combination of production/creative decision making that I have and the sonic approach that I take in making tracks that gives them their sound. But, I can't really vouch for what makes my stuff different; I'd probably ask a fan as they can give you a better unbiased opinion. I can however tell you what I like about sound that has a big impact on why I do certain things in my tracks, such as good quality drum sounds, and good quality synths that have solid sound in all parts of the frequency spectrum. I don't claim to know more than anyone else, it's just that the end result is what sounded really good to my ears and I decided to stick with it.

You remixed a track by a friend of mine – Jacob Henry. How did you meet him?

We met through mutual contacts in the industry, Jacob enjoyed work I had done on earlier projects and got a hold of me. It's almost always the result of word-of-mouth around here.

What are some of your future goals in the music industry?

Firstly, I want to keep improving, as I know there are only a million things I know that I could do better, and wish I could do better. That is really motivating for me to keep on trying out new sounds and processes. Secondly, I want to diversify, not be known for just EDM, but be known just as a musician, so that's going to a difficult but self-rewarding process I think.

Can you release any info about tracks that are in the works at the moment?

Well, there are some very large projects that are in the pipeline. I have my stuff with Anjuna, which is going superb, everyone knows what's releasing according to the release schedule but further than that I'm not able to tell you. Other than that I have remixes that I've been working on which will be releasing, so to keep the other side of my sound going outside of Anjunadeep. I can't forget about my own label Temporum either, whether it's producing or mastering for it that's always an exciting process for me and really lets me do things my way along with my associate Luke Porter who I have a great deal of respect for. I think what we're doing is really a step apart from other labels with Temporum, as we've got some tremendous things coming up so I can't wait for people to hear a different sound from this label. Basically, it's trying be that sound that every other label doesn't have, if you will. My plan is to make everything work in one cohesive bundle so that I'm able to experiment with sound but still stick to a rigid and busy production schedule.

Are you currently working on any other projects?

I am, but I can't say what they are at this moment.

Do you have any other comments for our readers?

I am so grateful for all the support and comments I receive daily, it really keeps me going when sometimes I don't feel well or am not in the mood to work on music. I have everyone to thank for that, and I will only continue to do my best and try to make music that I enjoy and hope that everyone does to.

Thank you for your time!

Thanks so much!

http://www.myspace.com/soundprank

Last edited by euphoria on Apr-06-2011 at 14:35

Old Post Apr-06-2011 03:03  United States
euphoria

Interview with George Acosta

http://www.electronicnightlife.com/

We would like to share our latest Q & A session with DJ/Producer George Acosta where he discusses his upcoming release entitled Visions Behind Expressions on Black Hole Recordings on April 4th, 2011.

As a resident of Miami, he was also able to provide valuable insight in regards to the recent separation of WMC and Ultra Music Fesitval as well as share some of his memories of when the Festival first began.

Greetings George!

Thanks for sparing some time to speak with us.

First and foremost we would like to ask you, what are the most significant changes that you have noticed within yourself from when you first got into the scene up till now?

George Acosta: Well, with time comes experience. I have become more comfortable with what I do, both as a DJ and as a producer. I tend to be my own worst critic when it comes to my work, but I feel that it’s how I better myself as an artist.

When I first began, I was teenager, very inexperienced and testing out the waters. Now as an adult, I am secure in whom I am. I love what I do for a living and I know this is what was meant for me. Music is my passion and as the scene has changed throughout the years, so have I.

I’ve definitely transitioned and evolved as an artist and I never got left behind the times. If I had to pinpoint one significant change that I have noticed since I first began, I would have to be that I have become a more secure and mature artist.

At what point did you feel like you were at the height of your career?

George Acosta: I have been fortunate enough to have much success in my career and work in a field that I love. Personally as an artist, I always feel that there is room for growth and improvement.

I love to learn and I never plan on loosing the drive to master my craft. I feel like I am destined for greater things and big things are yet to come. As long as my love for the music continues, so will my drive to succeed.

In terms of hardware, what upcoming equipment do you have your eye on?

George Acosta: I’d have to say that when it comes to equipment, I love products by Roland. I am always looking for the latest and greatest in plugins such as waves, and even sound toys.

Which headphones are the best you have ever owned, and why?

George Acosta: I must say recently I’ve been using the Pioneer HDJ2000 headphones. These headphones work well in the studio and at my gigs. They deliver such a clear crisp sound and I highly recommend them. In the past however, I have been known to use the Sony Headphones V600, both have been very good to me.

In your opinion, what do you think the long-term effects of Dance music crossing over into pop culture will be?

George Acosta: Dance music has always been around. It’s only recently that dance music has crossed over and become mainstream. One example is how a great deal of hip hop and even pop artists these days are crossing their music with dance music. It’s gaining more popularity. That right there shows that dance music is hitting a more commercial scene. I believe it’s a great thing. Dance music is finally getting the attention and the recognition it deserves. I believe this is the beginning of good things to come for the dance music scene.

Before you got into electronic music you were a hip-hop DJ. Can you describe the differences in mixing technique and how the transition to another genre went for you?

George Acosta: Of course there are differences between these two styles of music. Truthfully, what it comes down too is which type of music you feel you are more comfortable with and the type of music that moves you. When I spun hip-hop, it was what was popular then. Techno, house, and trance slowly started to gain some attention and it was the genre of music I fell in love with and stuck too. Honestly, the difference between hip-hop and what I spin now is a matter of the same technique just at a different BPM.

Do you listen to any other music outside of the electronic realm?

George Acosta: I am very much into my genre of music, but I do enjoy some alternative rock like The Cure or some Old School Hip Hop like Run DMC and Biggie from time to time.

On an ordinary day what might we find George Acosta doing?

George Acosta: On an ordinary day, it’s mostly business as usual. Mostly studio work, lots of emails and phone calls. But when I am not working, I love to BBQ and work on my landscaping, spending time with my dog and of course most importantly spending time with my children and family.

What are your feelings towards your new relationship with Black Hole Recordings?

George Acosta: Black Hole Recordings have been very good to me. I have been fortunate enough to have my work represented under this very well renowned label. They have been very supportive and I am very blessed to have a great team behind my recent and future productions.

Many artists are re-releasing some of their classics. Do you anticipate you may do the same in the future?

George Acosta: Actually, I am currently working in the studio on an album, which consists of some of my classics. At the moment, I am remixing some of my past releases featuring the very talented vocalist - Truth.

As a Miami resident, what are your thoughts in regards to the recent separation of WMC and Ultra?

I look forward to Winter Music Conference every year! It’s full of interesting workshops, events, and parties. It’s a time to reconnect with other artists and people in the industry and it’s also a time to make new connections and build new relationships with other people in the dance music industry. It’s a time that just focuses purely on my genre of music. In regards to Ultra Music Festival, I have had the pleasure of being a part of it for many, many, years. Actually, I remember when it first started; in it’s early years. I spun on the beach. It was amazing. I am very proud to say that I was a part of UMF. I believe that an artist can benefit from being a part of either WMC or UMF. It’s great publicity and a great time to network. I think it’s a shame that both were separated though and some artists are actually forced to pick and choose which one to attend. I am grateful to live in Miami, which is the city that hosts both events so it really doesn’t affect me much. I will be around for both weeks!

How did you first connect with the vocalists featured on your album?

George Acosta: I connected with the vocalists through my manager, Francisco Pacheco. I was able to meet and work with Fisher while I was studying at SAE Institute. He met her through another artist he was managing and he presented me with the idea of making some songs with her. With Fisher’s amazing vocals came songs like True Love, Beautiful, and Tearing Me Apart. It’s been a blessing to work with such a talented vocalist such as Fisher.

Which tracks will be released as singles of your Visions Behind Expressions album?

George Acosta: At the moment, I will be releasing True Love featuring Fisher and some remixed versions of the song, as well as Never Fear featuring Emma Lock.

How did you come up with the album name?

George Acosta: Visions Behind Expressions came to be simply because that is what the songs in my album represent for me. Each song gives you a little insight into where I am as an artist and in my career. I express all my thoughts and emotions through music and the songs I create. This album is an expression of life’s greatest moments through song.

Of all your albums, which one is your personal favorite?

George Acosta: One of my personal favorite albums would have to be Awake, which was released through Ultra Records. It was a great time in my career and in my life that was full of great memories. I felt I was at a good place in my career and it was when trance was at its peak.

Do you have any other comments for our readers?

George Acosta: My new album, Visions behind Expressions, is due on April 4th, 2011 on Black Hole Recording. There will be four new releases under my label AcoMusic, beginning the second quarter of the year. In addition to all that, I have lots of remixes in the works with Dean Newton, Richard Durand, and Robbie Rivera, just to name a few. I’m also bringing in a talented new artist named Niseem into the AcoMusic family. You will be hearing some of my work with him in the future. Finally, I’m working on expanding my show the Lost World, currently broadcasted on Sirius XM Radio on Electric Area, and other countries around the world.

Thanks very much for your time George! We look forward to speaking with you again soon, and we wish you much success on your upcoming projects.

http://www.georgeacosta.com/
http://www.myspace.com/georgeacosta
http://www.facebook.com/officialgeorgeacosta
http://soundcloud.com/georgeacosta

Old Post Apr-06-2011 15:16  United States

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Euphoria's Interview Thread (Updates: Funkerman, Daniel Wanrooy, Redroche, Kyau & Albert)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackgoodnight ravers? [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playback009 Sound System - Dreamscape (Remastered) [2009]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread