Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > The Official TOTA BlackBerry thread
Pages (82): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
spiderpig
Senior tranceaddict

The saga continues...

http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/29/rim-r...g-tablet-market

RIM reportedly bails on PlayBook, considers exiting tablet market

Research In Motion has reportedly stopped production of its BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and is considering exiting the space altogether. Collins Stewart analyst John Vinh made the claims in a note to investors Thursday morning, citing anonymous sources at RIM’s manufacturing partner Quanta. “While Quanta last week acknowledged that it had laid off a significant number of production workers from a factory focused on producing the PlayBook, our research indicates that the ODM has essentially halted production of the tablet, Vinh wrote. “Additionally, our due diligence indicates that RIMM has canceled development of additional tablet projects.”

Developing…

Old Post Sep-29-2011 15:58  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for spiderpig Click here to Send spiderpig a Private Message Add spiderpig to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LightsOut
Antagonist

You can't really trust reports from BGR, they're notorious for bashing RIM at every chance they get...

• Ambivalent - R U OK (Kasper is OK Mix)
  • Do Santos - Menina
  • Heartthrob - Baby Kate (Magda's "Where Is My Baby's Daddy" Mix)
  • Danton Eeprom - To The Bone (Jamie Jones Deep Sea Dub Mix)
  • Matt Nordstrom - Lucky Drawls (Mark Brooms No Rave Stab Mix)

Old Post Sep-29-2011 16:12  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for LightsOut Click here to Send LightsOut a Private Message Add LightsOut to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mach X
DEMF Ambassador

C'mon! I doubt they will stop making them... but they better come out with the PlayBook 2 because I didn't buy that extended warranty for nothing! :P

Old Post Sep-30-2011 11:15  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Mach X Click here to Send Mach X a Private Message Visit Mach X's homepage! Add Mach X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
urban_legend
Original Hammer Crew

they are for sure not cutting the production of the Playbook, there is a major release set for DevCon.

production has been stopped temporarily as there is a surplus of units right now as people waiting for 3&4G units to come out.

Old Post Sep-30-2011 11:38  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for urban_legend Click here to Send urban_legend a Private Message Add urban_legend to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mach X
DEMF Ambassador

quote:
Originally posted by urban_legend
production has been stopped temporarily as there is a surplus of units right now as people waiting for 3&4G units to come out.

And when is that? We keep getting calls for that...

And when did you say PlayBook OS 2.0 is coming? Next week? October 8th? is that still on? I've not seen any emails or production releases for that?

Old Post Sep-30-2011 11:40  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Mach X Click here to Send Mach X a Private Message Visit Mach X's homepage! Add Mach X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GGM
Supreme houseaddict

quote:
Originally posted by urban_legend
they are for sure not cutting the production of the Playbook, there is a major release set for DevCon.

That's along the lines of what I said in the iPhone thread too. It makes sense if they have a surplus currently and there's new models coming out to stop current production.

This RIM hating media bandwagon is getting huge/ridiculous.

Old Post Sep-30-2011 14:53  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for GGM Click here to Send GGM a Private Message Add GGM to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
urban_legend
Original Hammer Crew

quote:
Originally posted by Mach X
And when is that? We keep getting calls for that...

And when did you say PlayBook OS 2.0 is coming? Next week? October 8th? is that still on? I've not seen any emails or production releases for that?

Devcon Is Oct 18-20th.

quote:
Originally posted by GGM
That's along the lines of what I said in the iPhone thread too. It makes sense if they have a surplus currently and there's new models coming out to stop current production.

This RIM hating media bandwagon is getting huge/ridiculous.

Totally agree with you, the PLaybook has won so many awards for best tablet for the hardware inside and is the only tablet certified by the government. The new OS7 devices are amazing and are selling like mad.

Old Post Oct-01-2011 11:49  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for urban_legend Click here to Send urban_legend a Private Message Add urban_legend to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mach X
DEMF Ambassador

So i'm skipping this generation of BlackBerry phones, gonna hold onto the Torch for another little while until the next batch of devices come.

Even though Rogers has given me some decent offers on the 9900, I'm holding off.

What's the next batch have in store? What you think they will be? QNYX based?

Old Post Oct-01-2011 14:30  Canada
GGM
Supreme houseaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Mach X
So i'm skipping this generation of BlackBerry phones, gonna hold onto the Torch for another little while until the next batch of devices come.

Even though Rogers has given me some decent offers on the 9900, I'm holding off.

What's the next batch have in store? What you think they will be? QNYX based?

I'd say the next batch will be QNX based but it'll be some time before they come out. There might also be a lack of apps and some initial glitches when they do arrive.

I'd do up the 9900 for now, great phone. OS 7 + stronger hardware got rid of 90% of the glitches and annoying crap that plagued the 9800 and it's a dream to type on in comparison.

Old Post Oct-01-2011 16:03  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for GGM Click here to Send GGM a Private Message Add GGM to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mach X
DEMF Ambassador

quote:
Originally posted by GGM
I'd say the next batch will be QNX based but it'll be some time before they come out. There might also be a lack of apps and some initial glitches when they do arrive.

I'd do up the 9900 for now, great phone. OS 7 + stronger hardware got rid of 90% of the glitches and annoying crap that plagued the 9800 and it's a dream to type on in comparison.

It's gonna extend my contract which I'm not really interested in right now. I'm only a family plan with 3 lines, if I extend this one with a early upgrade it will put just one line ahead of the rest.

I love the 9900, I have one as my "work" phone, but not personal phone. But the battery life is balls IMO. Not saying the 9800 had a spectacular batter life. Miss that about my 9700.

Old Post Oct-01-2011 18:11  Canada
urban_legend
Original Hammer Crew

Press Release

BlackBerry Tag enables effortless 'tap to share' exchanges of multimedia content and contact info between friends

Friends can also add each other as BBM contacts with a simple 'tap'

DUBAI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES--(Marketwire - Oct. 10, 2011) - GITEX – During his keynote presentation at the GITEX conference in Dubai, Research In Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM)(TSX:RIM) Co-CEO Jim Balsillie today unveiled a new way for BlackBerry® smartphone users to connect with one another and share multimedia content.

BlackBerry® Tag, which will be incorporated in the next BlackBerry® 7 OS update*, will allow users to share contact information, documents, URLs, photos and other multimedia content by simply tapping their BlackBerry smartphones together. BlackBerry Tag will also enable friends to instantly add one another as contacts on BBM™ (BlackBerry® Messenger).

"BlackBerry Tag is an exciting and innovative feature that makes sharing contact information and multimedia content effortless and seamless," said Jim Balsillie, Co-CEO at Research In Motion. "BlackBerry Tag opens a new dimension to the BlackBerry platform that is powerful, simple and intuitive and we think it will be welcomed by both users and developers."

BlackBerry Tag takes advantage of Near Field Communications (NFC) technology included in the recently launched BlackBerry® Bold™ 9900/9930 and BlackBerry® Curve™ 9350/9360/9370 smartphones, and these are the first BlackBerry smartphones that will support BlackBerry Tag.

RIM also announced plans to expose BlackBerry Tag through APIs on the BlackBerry platform, allowing software developers to take advantage of "tap to share" functionality from within their own applications.

* Subject to network operator certifications. Check with your local operator for availability.

About Research In Motion

Research In Motion (RIM), a global leader in wireless innovation, revolutionized the mobile industry with the introduction of the BlackBerry® solution in 1999. Today, BlackBerry products and services are used by millions of customers around the world to stay connected to the people and content that matter most throughout their day. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. RIM is listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (NASDAQ:RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX:RIM). For more information, visit www.rim.com or www.blackberry.com.

Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and applicable Canadian securities laws. When used herein, words such as "expect", "anticipate", "estimate", "may", "will", "should", "intend," "believe", and similar expressions, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions made by RIM in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments, as well as other factors that RIM believes are appropriate in the circumstances. Many factors could cause RIM's actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements, including those described in the "Risk Factors" section of RIM's Annual Information Form, which is included in its Annual Report on Form 40-F (copies of which filings may be obtained at www.sedar.com or www.sec.gov). These factors should be considered carefully, and readers should not place undue reliance on RIM's forward-looking statements. RIM has no intention and undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.

The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. RIM assumes no obligations or liability and makes no representation, warranty, endorsement or guarantee in relation to any aspect of any third party products or services.

ARTICLE

Old Post Oct-10-2011 15:43  Canada
Orko
Digital Hippie

So how many of you experienced outages?

Old Post Oct-12-2011 15:43  India
Click Here to See the Profile for Orko Click here to Send Orko a Private Message Add Orko to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > The Official TOTA BlackBerry thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (82): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackhelp with this tune [2005] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAalto - "Rush" (Super-8 Remix) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread