Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > Joseph Von Xanten - Ad Finem Fidelis [Prog]
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
enydo
~

HELLO

Old Post Aug-18-2014 15:20 
Click Here to See the Profile for enydo Click here to Send enydo a Private Message Add enydo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

I actually just finished listening for the 2nd time. I'll be hard pressed to find 3 or 4 mixes better than this during the year so far. No gripes whatsoever.

Old Post Aug-21-2014 00:57  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sand Leaper
Tension hunter

This didn't do much for me, unfortunately. The first transition does not work very well at all, and after that there are far too many breakdowns in the first half for my tastes to give the mix the momentum it needs. The second half has chunkier grooves and less reverbed pads and sound effects, which makes up for it somewhat, but I don't think you can avoid this problem sufficiently when you are playing such big roomy tunes all in a row.

The tracks themselves, as mentioned, are almost all big and well known tunes championed by the progressive house big shots, and as I suspected, I've gone off most of them around ten years later. Radio Rage is a killer track, however, and so is Loose Caboose, even though I suspect you of nicking the transition into it from Planet Progressive by Cass. Next time, I would place less emphasis on all the atmospherics and more on pushing the mix foward with beat driven tracks like in the second half, in order to make the more melodic and mellow tracks stand out more once you do play them.

Old Post Aug-22-2014 14:48  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sand Leaper Click here to Send Sand Leaper a Private Message Add Sand Leaper to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mattsanity
Supreme tranceaddict

damn are you kidding me? this is TA classic.

Old Post Aug-23-2014 16:05  South Korea
Click Here to See the Profile for Mattsanity Click here to Send Mattsanity a Private Message Add Mattsanity to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PaULiN0
Twinkle, Twinkle..

Old Post Aug-24-2014 03:43  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for PaULiN0 Click here to Send PaULiN0 a Private Message Add PaULiN0 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I keep trying to get through this and it keeps going wrong for some reason. I just got an hour in and the Soundcloud stream just cut out without any apparent reason, even though my connection is working fine.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Aug-30-2014 18:42  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Right, finally got through this. It was enjoyable, but I found the structure slightly unsatisfying. I personally preferred the first hour or so. Although it is just a sequence of big tunes, they flow together quite well, and unless you're completely opposed to the beats stopping in your music I don't think there's any problem with breakdowns: there;s no more than you'd get in any style of dance music over a 60 minute spell. I can guess the intention was to build up from more melodic and floaty stuff to harder and more driving fare, but after nearly three hours of music I would have liked more big bombs at the end than just Fine Day. It feels like the mix is building up to something and then ends quite abruptly. So in that respect, maybe you could have saved some of the hands-in-the-air melodies for the closing act, because it feels almost like two different sets in one.

The mixing was mostly fine (I'm not sure how it was done because I didn't really hear any manual corrections). The first transition was out of key, and when a track is dominated by a pad it really needs a harmonic transition, but that's the only "mistake".

I'll have to do my own marathon ye olde prog set soon, since everyone else has had a crack recently.

Old Post Sep-02-2014 12:22  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

So, uh, yeah; this mix

I really wanted to write a good response, since so many of you gave great feedback, but moving to the other side of the world and starting grad school had me putting it off and off. My sincere apologies!

I don’t know how, but I really had no idea the first transition was out of key. I think my ears are broken! After you all mentioned it, I can hear it, but at the time it didn’t sound terrible to me.

Chris, I use headphones to mix. I can’t afford monitors that are good enough. This wasn’t mixed on vinyl, so thankfully I had the computer to make me feel comfortable with the long transitions (though a few of the transitions I had to adjust, as I hadn’t warped the tracks correctly so the BPM counter was off. A few of the transitions, I won’t say which ones , I started to lose control of as the BPM counter was off, but I must have fixed them enough, since no one pointed it out ).

Sand Leaper, sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy the mix, but thanks for listening to it. I 100% nicked the transition into ‘Loose Caboose’ from Cass, though I actually tweaked it slightly. I’ve loved that transition since I first heard it, and have no problem admitting taking it

Jack, I agree I fucked up the ending. I just wasn’t sure what to play after ‘Beautiful Strange,’ besides going into the late 90s Breeder territory, which I felt wouldn’t be right, so I decided to shut things down. In retrospect, I probably should have saved some of the early prog bombs for the end. Not happy with it at all, but I enjoy the other 2 hours of the mix enough that I thought I’d share it all the same. As I said, there actually are a few manual corrections, but I’m happy you didn’t hear them! I hope you do do a monster prog set one of these days.

This mix was mixed live internally on a computer (not Ableton). I used the sync button. I’m sorry

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and for listening. Greatly appreciate it

Old Post Oct-24-2014 15:34 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
I don’t know how, but I really had no idea the first transition was out of key. I think my ears are broken! After you all mentioned it, I can hear it, but at the time it didn’t sound terrible to me.

The best way to decide if your next track is in key is to find the most melodic part (preferably with a pad or a string), kill all the bass and play that bit in your headphone against the current track. If it sounds sour, you know to either:

A) Pick something else.
B) Keep the harmonic content apart.
C) Mix it quickly.

I eventually got bored of cueing stuff up and finding out it sounded like curdling milk being poured down my ears, forcing a panic-ridden search for a replacement, and just started keying my collection ahead of time.

Old Post Oct-24-2014 19:19  England
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it didn't sound sour to my ears when I was mixing it. It does after people pointed it out, but at the time it sounded acceptable. Not great, but not terrible.

I try to key my collection ahead of time, but I don't always mix according to the key. This was clearly one time when I should have

Old Post Oct-24-2014 21:56 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > Joseph Von Xanten - Ad Finem Fidelis [Prog]
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSomething similar to Tomaz vs. Filterheadz production [2015] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackC-Quence - "Endorphine" (Hydroid's Breaking the Law Remix) [2008]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread