Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Pages (40): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Well that's not really a surprise, is it?

The thing is, progressive house has been deathly unpopular in the UK for the best part of ten years now. It's only really in the last year or two that guys like Saiz have started getting bookings outside London (and outside the MOS at that).

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Feb-07-2015 14:33  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

Obviously, I was just surprised at how extreme it is. He's played in Germany once in his entire career.

Old Post Feb-07-2015 18:15 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

saw Rodhad on Friday night - was ok but, like an awful lot of djs they just cant seem to get the flow of a set right

I understand the need to "bring it down" every once in a while but he was so up and down it was really hard to get into it.

Played some really dark almost haunting stuff at times, also played some really big tunes but didnt seem to have enough of the latter.

I know there was a thread on this before but getting the flow of a set right is what separates the best djs from the rest imo

All in all just another dj i wouldnt be too bothered if i never seen again :-/

Old Post Feb-15-2015 10:35  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

The guy is a fucking fantastic DJ and I think everyone that has seen him a bunch of times in different settings can attest to that. That said, I feel like his average quality has dropped a bit since he started touring full time, not exactly surprising since you can't bring your A game every time if you play like three short 2-3 hour sets every weekend. He also has a reputation as a closing DJ for a reason, I don't think he's the best at bang out peak time sets since he usually takes 1-2 hours to really warm up, which is of course unfortunate since with his ascend into techno stardom, he's mostly going to play the headline slot.

In terms of flow, from my experience he's not really up and down, it's just up, up up almost all the time. 98% of other DJs could never pull that off, but his mixing, phrasing and track selection are borderline flawless, so he can pull it off (although not quite every time).

Last edited by Woony on Feb-15-2015 at 12:11

Old Post Feb-15-2015 12:05 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
The guy is a fucking fantastic DJ and I think everyone that has seen him a bunch of times in different settings can attest to that. That said, I feel like his average quality has dropped a bit since he started touring full time, not exactly surprising since you can't bring your A game every time if you play like three short 2-3 hour sets every weekend. He also has a reputation as a closing DJ for a reason, I don't think he's the best at bang out peak time sets since he usually takes 1-2 hours to really warm up, which is of course unfortunate since with his ascend into techno stardom, he's mostly going to play the headline slot.

In terms of flow, from my experience he's not really up and down, it's just up, up up almost all the time. 98% of other DJs could never pull that off, but his mixing, phrasing and track selection are borderline flawless, so he can pull it off (although not quite every time).

yeah sure maybe i caught him on a bad night...and plenty of people who were there would probably disagree with my review - ive heard a lot of good things about him, guess i should give him another go some time

At one stage he had the whole place fucking rocking and i was thinking this guy could be the next big thing but he just couldnt, or didnt want, keep it going

Old Post Feb-15-2015 19:49  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Henry Saiz used some of the Manchester set on his latest radio show, for anyone who's interested. It's only one hour out of three (the middle one, from memory) but it should give you a good idea of what he was like. The full set is apparently going to be released when some exclusive tracks on it have been cleared.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Feb-16-2015 20:45  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SPANIARD
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by evo8
saw Rodhad on Friday night - was ok but, like an awful lot of djs they just cant seem to get the flow of a set right

I understand the need to "bring it down" every once in a while but he was so up and down it was really hard to get into it.

Played some really dark almost haunting stuff at times, also played some really big tunes but didnt seem to have enough of the latter.

I know there was a thread on this before but getting the flow of a set right is what separates the best djs from the rest imo

All in all just another dj i wouldnt be too bothered if i never seen again :-/

This pretty much sums up half or more of the DJ's I've seen in the past couple of years. It has become really frustrating to make the effort to go out only to be disappointed by a roller coaster of a set. Sorry to hear about your experience but on the other hand I'm kind of relieved that other people are noticing this trend and are speaking up about it.

Old Post Feb-16-2015 20:55  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for SPANIARD Click here to Send SPANIARD a Private Message Add SPANIARD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
corjay9
Chief Executive Ocifer

Last night out was Joey Anderson in a small regular hours club. Adam420 played opening set, Tazz played warm up.. but I only got to the club around midnight so I missed Adam. Joey played a stellar 2 hours of house and techno.. Some very heady hypnotic tunes, some solid deep house, some techno... He's a stud. Flawless mixing, vinyl all night.. would definitely go see him again. He had the small intimate crowd eating out of the palm of his hand and at 3am he got a proper ovation.

Very nice guy too.. I caught him in the washroom, asked him how he liked playing Igloofest, our outdoor winter festival.. he said it was great but he froze his ass off.

Up next is Slow to Speak this weekend.. dudes who run the Dope Jams record store out in butfuck NY. Pretty pumped for their eclectic style of mixing and track selection.

Old Post Feb-17-2015 04:44  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for corjay9 Click here to Send corjay9 a Private Message Add corjay9 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Nostalgic

Saw sasha play in San fancisco last night in a club he has not played in before. My expectations weren't high based on the two 2015 sets that were released, but boy was he very uninspired to say the least. As much as I give Digweed for playing boring, droning bedrock- style big room techno, Sasha took that to a whole new level. It really shouldn't be shocking to say the least, but having to leave with still an hour to go is still disappointing. Whatever...hopefully Bicep will be an improvement in a few weeks.

Old Post Mar-02-2015 00:48  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Nostalgic Click here to Send Nostalgic a Private Message Add Nostalgic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

Has anyone here seen Daniel Bell? He's playing an all-night set upstairs at Tresor next week.

Old Post Mar-02-2015 19:45 
lacksesepsotygh
;B

once, but a tray of fireball erased every trace of memory from that night

Old Post Mar-03-2015 21:48  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for lacksesepsotygh Click here to Send lacksesepsotygh a Private Message Visit lacksesepsotygh's homepage! Add lacksesepsotygh to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DanceFloorPoet
Dance Floor Poet

Saw Nightmares On Wax in Philly last week. Played a 3 hour jam-band type set, if you want to call it that, of beats that were sub 100bpm. Lots of non-deordorant wearing hippies in attendance so the vibe was fun and loose. The actual set was a mixture of trip hop, hip hop, drum n bass, house, and disco. Only towards the end did he get near a bpm that I wanted to dance to. Maybe 110ish? The early hour was torturously slow but that's just for me personally. The tie-dye folks were into the whole thing.

Old Post Mar-03-2015 23:19  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DanceFloorPoet Click here to Send DanceFloorPoet a Private Message Add DanceFloorPoet to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (40): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackti hear this track everywhere please look!! [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackGoldfrapp - Strict Machine (Benny Benassi Sfaction Remix) [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread