Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Pages (40): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Mr Game+Watch
Luka Luka * Night Fever

This is gonna make me the laughing stock of MD but my last night out was none other than Group Therapy 100 at MSG. I know, I know. But every now and then I get a hankering for some trance, and A&B are some of my favorite producers in the genre (plus are cool blokes). Though of course Anjunadeep is much much much more my cup of tea. Anyways, the show took place at Madison Square Garden, which is more well-known for being the home of the Knicks and Rangers. And I had seats, they were in the 200s, near the nosebleed section, which is weird when you're used to being front and center in the middle of a crowd at these events. It was my girlfriend's first major electronic music related event, apart from the times I took her to see fellow TA Blueshift perform locally. She was just glad that we had seats since she wasn't excited at the prospect of standing for 7 hours :P So anyways, while it felt weird being a bit disconnected from the action, it was still pretty cool. It started with a deep house/progressive set from Tony McGuiness, pretty much what you'd expect from an A&B themed deeper set... Then Ilan Bluestone came to perform. To be honest I was absolutely blown away by his track "Big Ben", it was one of the more unique trance tracks of the past few years. He finished up with said track, but before then there were a lot of other of his productions. Can't really find fault with his set. Next up was Andrew Bayer, his stuff veered a bit towards the EDM/electro-trance side of things. Wasn't terribly enthused by it but it was certainly listenable. Next up was Mat Zo, and he stole the show. He played everything from funky French-influenced house, tech bangers, classic big-room trance. It felt fresh and very different from what you'd usually expect from an Anjunabeats-themed show. Then finally came A&B. The light show and visuals were of course the best during their performance, and they played all of their big hits (a remix of Sun and Moon, Thing Called Love, Blue Sky Action) and some stuff from their new album. The biggest surprises were a remix of Salva Mea by Faithless and Totem by Ansolo. Overall quite the show, I had a great time.

And the night before ABGT100 I went to Miku Expo NY. What is that you may ask? It's a concert featuring hologram "vocaloids", basically mascots for text-to-voice software. Think William Gibson's "Idoru" in real life. It was certainly very surreal but absolutely amazing, as someone who loves both cyberpunk technology and anime. All of the major vocaloids were there, including my personal favorite Megurine Luka. And a lot of the songs were recognizable from the Project Diva series of rhythm games for PS3/PSP/Vita. I took 2 of my friends and they were both absolutely blown away by the performance...

Quarantine Music Festival 2020

All My Mixes!

Old Post Oct-28-2014 17:45  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Game+Watch Click here to Send Mr Game+Watch a Private Message Visit Mr Game+Watch's homepage! Add Mr Game+Watch to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
No I don't, and I know I really should. Generally my ears feel okay after a night out and I don't think my hearing has deteriorated that much after 8 years or so of clubbing. I still have my MP3 player on the same volume, and the same with my laptop, and I've had both for 5-6 years. Given that I've got a few mates who now have tinnitus or hearing problems from clubbing and DJing I'm not doing too badly.

I generally believe that a good soundsystem doesn't do too much damage and that you can feel when a soundsystem is knackering your ears. I have even walked out of clubs before if the sound system is painful to listen to, but if the music's really good I'll take it.

the thing about it just takes one shitty soundsystem on just one night out, when you least expect it..... agree with what you are saying about good soundsystems - i remember ones where the music was loud as fuck but you could talk at almost normal conversation levels on the dance floor

anyways - back OT

Old Post Oct-28-2014 17:58  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
enydo
~

My last night out was.... DVS1 on a roof in Atlanta which was cool. Small crowd, small sound system. Somehow the promoter managed to score a loft space with a large outdoor patio on top of this really old apartment building in downtown Atlanta. The building is right next to the Fox Theater, so pretty much situated right south of midtown with a really gorgeous view, especially as the sun was setting.

When we first arrived the openers were playing typical of Atlanta local DJs: churning ket-tech-house. They're not necessarily bad DJs, but a lot of the locals here just do not impress me. They don't know how to open, and their sets end up sounding the same to me.

DVS1 came on right as the sun was going down, and he took it more into dark, throbbing techno territory which I'm really into. The soundsystem was pretty meh, but as I said, it was a pretty DIY party. The inside area of the loft had a TV with college football going, which seemed to be a big draw for a lot of people looking to take a breather. Bathrooms were annoying as there was only 1 for about 100+ people and people kept going in there two at a time to snort their jollies (this shit bothers me to no end, I have to fucking piss, come on).

Overall, a lot of fun, but I'm just not really enthused by the local Atlanta scene much. I missed Theo Parrish last weekend which I'm pissed about but my ears have been stuffy after having a cold last week so I've been resting them.

Some pics too, which I hope is ok since this wasn't some authoritarian art-club:

Last edited by enydo on Oct-28-2014 at 18:22

Old Post Oct-28-2014 18:05 
Click Here to See the Profile for enydo Click here to Send enydo a Private Message Add enydo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
enydo
~

Jack, please wear hearing protection! Basic stuff is really cheap, just got a new pair of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Rese...words=etymotics

Old Post Oct-28-2014 18:09 
Click Here to See the Profile for enydo Click here to Send enydo a Private Message Add enydo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I'm genuinely touched that you care about my hearing, but... there's no way it sounds as good with earplugs, is there? Dance music is really all about the visceral punch of the music being played really loudly, and wearing ear-plugs is just going to dull that.

I understand the argument that it only takes one DJ or incident to really damage your ears (I've heard some horror stories), but I'd like to think I'm switched on about when things are becoming dangerous. I even left a bar that was showing England - Uruguay during the World Cup because they'd put the TV's sound through the gig room PA and it was coming out extremely sharp and piercing. I spent the first half with my fingers in my ears and when England were losing at half-time I thought "I'm not damaging my hearing to watch this sorry shit" and went. The same thing when I saw Fuck Buttons (and special mention to dark ambient cunt Haxan Cloak who warmed up with ear-splitting white noise) - too loud, bad soundsystem, left halfway through after keeping fingers in ears throughout.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Oct-28-2014 18:55  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DanceFloorPoet
Dance Floor Poet

My tinnitus and hyperacusis literally happened over night back in the year 2002. One dumbfuck dj at a philly club who I swear to god was deaf...cranking on the highs and I was too young and dumb to care. Woke up and my ears were super sensitive and ringing for months after that. It really sucked. I kinda want to punch that dude in the face now that I think about it.

Old Post Oct-28-2014 18:57  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DanceFloorPoet Click here to Send DanceFloorPoet a Private Message Add DanceFloorPoet to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
enydo
~

Yeah, I mean if you're aware of it that's one thing, I'm just overly sensitive to this stuff. I've had tinnitus as long as I can remember so I'm just trying to mitigate whatever further damage I may be doing.

Honestly though, if you get some plugs similar to the etys which seek to reduce decibels clearly across all frequencies, they actually sound quite good. To be honest I prefer going to shows with plugs in, I can hear people speak more clearly, and my ears feel great after leaving. I never really feel like I'm missing the punch or oomph or anything like that, but if the sound system is quiet I generally wont use them. That said, a lot of sound systems here in Atlanta are sorta garbage, so the highs tend to be loud and shrieking, which is definitely where the most damage comes from, frequency-wise. Brendon Moeller was here several months ago and even with plugs in it was still sorta shrill and hurt a bit. I ended up leaving early.

It's important to remember that hearing damage from loud decibels is cumulative (generally it's considered 85dbs for 8 hours a day is "safe" and above that it starts getting more dangerous pretty rapidly). People do have different sensitivities to it though, some people can go out constantly without protection and be fine, others aren't so lucky.

After going to my first few concerts and shows and noticing the muffled hearing and ringing after, I went ahead and started wearing plugs.

Old Post Oct-28-2014 19:01 
DanceFloorPoet
Dance Floor Poet

Without derailing this thread too much further, Enydo, System-J, did either of you guys have a history of ear infections or did you get "tubes" in your ears to facilitate drainage? I often wonder if I was predisposed to have problems before I ever set foot in a venue.

Old Post Oct-28-2014 19:08  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DanceFloorPoet Click here to Send DanceFloorPoet a Private Message Add DanceFloorPoet to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
enydo
~

I didn't have many ear infections as a kid (my mom has told me she can't remember me having any) but I do have issues with my eustachian tubes not equalizing my middle ear properly. Actually currently dealing with that right now, it flares up pretty badly after I get a head cold or something like that. My jaw is all sorts of fucked and my wisdom teeth are impacted and my doctors told me that's probably why I have so many issues.

Doctors have seen fluid in there a couple times but not enough to warrant any concern, and I've never had any sort of pain or infection type symptoms.

Old Post Oct-28-2014 19:11 
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I haven't had an ear infection since I was four years old.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Oct-28-2014 19:18  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

quote:
Originally posted by evo8
the thing about it just takes one shitty soundsystem on just one night out, when you least expect it..... agree with what you are saying about good soundsystems - i remember ones where the music was loud as fuck but you could talk at almost normal conversation levels on the dance floor

It was a Jazzy Jeff show that did it to me. I'd occasionally have overnight tinnitus, but that one left my ears ringing for two straight days. Thank God it didn't do permanent damage, and I set out to get musician's plugs right after. Best investment ever.

Seriously J', get some musician's plugs (around $150-$200 CAD, so probably half that in UK currency). They're specifically designed to eliminate the harsh frequencies associated with loud clubs and concerts while retaining all the clarity of hearing the music as it should sound. You'll be able to stand directly front-and-centre of stacks of speakers and come away none the worse for wear. You'll even be able to hear yourself carry conversation, even if others can't.

(~)

Old Post Oct-28-2014 19:33  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Adam420
Trance Free Since 2003

quote:
Originally posted by DanceFloorPoet
Without derailing this thread too much further, Enydo, System-J, did either of you guys have a history of ear infections or did you get "tubes" in your ears to facilitate drainage? I often wonder if I was predisposed to have problems before I ever set foot in a venue.

I used to have tubes Mark, due to a lot of wax buildup in my ears as a kid. I don't get them anymore but still think I have some wax buildup (not as much), and I actually think it tends to protect my ear drums somewhat, as my ears never really ring (and I DJ too).

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Levels is...decent...damn better than a lot of the shite dominating the charts at the moment. It sounds absolutely nothing like...a billion and one similar tracks in this big-room style. I always had a soft spot.

Old Post Oct-28-2014 20:19  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Adam420 Click here to Send Adam420 a Private Message Add Adam420 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (40): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackprogressive [2008] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMiller & Floyd - "Colours" [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread