Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > TA best of 2017
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

TA best of 2017

Since there are no RA lists this year, we're going to have to do this ourselves, no?

I bought relatively little new dancefloor 12"s this year, lots of uninspired mud out there right now in technoland. House is doing better, I like a lot of the newer electro/oldschool tech house influenced stuff, but a lot it is just "nice", nothing I need to have. That said, I thought it was quite a good year for non-dancefloor electronic LPs overall, no defining classics g but lots of nice little ones. I get the feeling that the LP has come back into fashion and lots of people are doing albums now.

Some of my favorites (holy crap, there were a LOT of LPs this year) in no particular order. You guys better contribute, this took me at least half an hour

Kara-Lis Coverdale ‎– Grafts
- This one kinda blew my mind more than anything I've heard in a long time. Incredibly inventive modern classical with great, variyng structures, amazing sound design and intricate harmonies.

3kz - Parallel Reflections
- Best straight up techno LP this year. Super classic sound, very deep, very detroit-y but still manages to sound quite fresh compared to a lot of what's coming out these days.

Deepchord - Auratones
- I'm always ready for more deepchord. Nothing revolutionary but his sound design is continously evolving in little ways. These tracks in particular are quite heavy on electro-acoustic sounds. The LP overall is quite upbeat, which is a nice change of pace.

Nathan - Fake-Providence
- Prime TA material, super melodic, arp-based IDM. A bit noodly in places but some very nice sequences and drum programming is sweet aswell.

Terekke - Plant Age
- Classic Terekke, warm, hazy, pillow-y ambient & dub house.

High Plains - Cinderland
- I'm always a sucker for anything with a cello. Produced by Loscil, quiet modern classical for the cold and dark season.

Shed - The Final Experiment
- This somehow didn't get a lot of critical attention but I think it's one of his best LPs. Very obviously inspired by 90s chill out rooms and various strains of early 90s ambient dance music, almost cheesy sometimes but still tasteful.

Claro - Intelecto-Exhilarator
- Classic Claro Intelecto in various styles and tones, a bit more gritty and harder-edged than his previous LPs.

SW - Untitled
- Super oldschool, super warm, super lo-fi, yet still super inventive. A lot of the tracks combines 90s jungle and classic house in a way that's quite unique.

Varg - Gore-Tex-City
- Varied shades of warm, gritty sounding melancholic ambient techno. Some of the collaborations are quite bizarre, one track features the auto-tuned meme-rapper Yung Lean over a bleak techno track. "Blue Line" is an amazing combination of understated ambient techno and modern R&B, one of my favorite tracks this year.

Franck Kartell- Alaska
- Sweet, melodic, classic electro with some ambient touches.

The Marx Trukker - Peripheral Whiles
- Sweet classic cut&paste IDM, sounds a lot like Jan Jelinek ca. 2000. Lots of nice, warm chords and acoustic sounds.

Last edited by Woony on Dec-09-2017 at 16:41

Old Post Dec-09-2017 16:14 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

I think there were plenty of good techno releases this year, although last year was probably better.

https://www.discogs.com/Cosimo-Dami...release/9359948
https://www.discogs.com/Artefakt-The-Radiant-City/release/10976784
https://www.discogs.com/Miller-Kean...elease/10159672
Some good stuff from Opuswerk, as well.

Electro:

https://www.discogs.com/No-Moon-Pre...release/9914738
https://www.discogs.com/DLMS-Rogue-...elease/10265037
https://www.discogs.com/Vertical67-...release/9992847
https://www.discogs.com/Antonio-Ele...elease/10869618
https://www.discogs.com/Tryph%C3%A8...release/9738213
https://www.discogs.com/Privacy-Zer...elease/10009447
https://www.discogs.com/Shinra-Meteor-EP/release/10298037

Jungle:

I've bought lots of digital releases over the year, so I'm sure I'm still probably missing many.

Last edited by AlphaStarred on Dec-10-2017 at 04:16

Old Post Dec-10-2017 03:14  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

I'm not into that drone-y atmospheric style at all anymore, by now it's been totally played IMO. I mean, it's not like there aren't ANY good techno 12"s coming out right now, but looking at the hardwax news every week, the rate of fodder has definitely increased compared to 2-3 years ago, and pretty much everyone I talk to (including multiple professional DJs) tends to agree.

Old Post Dec-10-2017 10:50 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I did practically the opposite to you. I don't think I can name more than 10 new LPs I heard in 2017, of any genre, but I must have bought something like 400 tunes for DJing in the last 12 months. Not on vinyl, obviously!

It's been a blinding year for melodic dance music. Prog is back. Even the likes of Mixmag have been pushing upcoming names like Khen and Cristoph, although they feel the need to dress it up in bullshit terms like "slow-burning techno" to convince people it's cool. Patrice Baumel was surely the big star of the year. He remixed everyone and everything, and played about three separate gigs at ADE alone. 2018 is going to be even bigger for this stuff, I can tell from the parties I've already got lined up in February and March. Trends seem to last around 3-4 years in dance music, and I think 2017-19 will be a high watermark for the kind of dance music I love.

Elsewhere, the retro-revival house that was big in previous years seems to have mutated into this new wave of god-awful UK "tech" house - think Patrick Topping, Solardo, CamelPhat and all the other pricks cluttering up the Beatport Top 100. This sound has been massive in the UK over the last year or so. It's like handbag house all over again, but for the snapback bro massive. Fucking gash.

Not entirely sure what's going on in techno, really. Its continual popularity now seems to be having the inevitable dilution effect. There now appears to be a "techno mainstream" that has become colonised by huge breakdowns and post-Drumcode big room shit. The only techno night I went to in 2017 was that Blind Observatory one, and he was admittedly brilliant. I will say, though, that 3kz album is top notch, Woony. Good share.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Last edited by SYSTEM-J on Dec-10-2017 at 17:30

Old Post Dec-10-2017 12:16  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

As always, most of my purchases were of things from the past instead of current items. Was a little more on the ball this year though, in that some of the labels I've grown fond of have ridiculously low roll-outs of physical releases. Still feel like a 'Best Of [Year]' list turns out more accurate a couple years after the fact though. Anyhow...

STUFF I LIKED:
Alphaxone & ProtoU - Stardust
Astral Waves - Genesis
Autumn Of Communion - Metal
Bicep - Bicep
Gorillaz - Humanz (Special Edition)
John Shima - Elements Unknown

STUFF I WILL PROBABLY LIKE, WHEN I PROPERLY SIT DOWN WITH IT:
36 - Black Soma
L.S.G. - Double Vision
Perturbator - New Model
Carbon Based Lifeforms - Derelicts
Cryostatis - Between Static And Distance
Marnie - Strange Words And Weird Wars

(~)

Last edited by Sykonee on Dec-10-2017 at 23:53

Old Post Dec-10-2017 14:46  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Sykonee is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I completely forgot about those Bicep and CBL albums. Maybe I have heard more than 10 long players all year, after all. Didn't really rate Bicep - there was a lack of sonic detail for a home-listening record. I've only heard the CBL album once, but I remember it being an uneven meander between the sublime and the ultra-naff.

Old Post Dec-10-2017 15:20  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
trancedanne
Supreme tranceaddict

Pretty much anything from John 00 Fleming, Airwave and You Are My Salvation. Jaytech, Matt Fax and Thrillseekers did some nice stuff as well.

Old Post Dec-10-2017 15:34  Sweden
Click Here to See the Profile for trancedanne Click here to Send trancedanne a Private Message Add trancedanne to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Not entirely sure what's going on in techno, really. Its continual popularity now seems to be having the inevitable dilution effect. There now appears to be a "techno mainstream" that has become colonised by huge breakdowns and post-Drumcode big room shit. The only techno night I went to in 2017 was that Blind Observatory one, and he was admittedly brilliant. I will say, though, that 3kz album is top notch, Woony. Good share.

Kaelan from 3Kz is a ridicously talented producer. You'd probably enjoy his 2030 stuff aswell - sounds super first wave. https://www.discogs.com/2030-D%C3%A...P/master/884635 It's a sound 90% of techno producers couldn't even make if they'd tried because they lack a basic understanding of harmony. And in addition, a big reason why so much current techno sucks is because modular synths and desktop monosynths are HUGE right now, everyone under the sun is buying that crap. And since they are monophonic (only one note at a time, ie. no chords), they just lend themselves to this lame atonal sequenced noodling without any advanced harmonic structures. There are so many producers ripping off the riffs from the early Regis records that it's almost become it's own subgenre. Take the first three tracks on this record, a bunch of producers that used to do good stuff in the past and now it's just unsinspired, drone-y bleeps and bloops with absolutely nothing happening. I don't know who this stuff is supposed to appeal to, it's not even going to destroy a dancefloor or anything -
https://hardwax.com/78818/various-artists/nonnative-09/

And yeah, there definitely is a techno "underground-mainstream" now with absolute crap DJs like Charlotte de Witte getting huge out of nowhere. Big kickdrum with reverb, hihat with some reverb, lots of white noise, bit of acid and same cheesy vocal or rave samples. Yawwwwwn.

Old Post Dec-10-2017 16:10 
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Heh. I saw about fifteen minutes of Charlotte De Witte in a tiny (maximum 200 capacity) club in Amsterdam and she was actually playing the kind of warm, chunky tech house you like. A little bit Terry Lee Brown Junior. We didn't stick around though, and when I subsequently checked her out on SC it was much as you've described. I suppose those were her most intimate small-room records that I heard.

Old Post Dec-10-2017 17:19  England
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

I find that hard to believe She seems to have absolutely zero range as a DJ. Even her fans are calling her out on youtube for playing almost the same tracks verbatim every time, including like 50% of her own tracks which I've heard are supposedly ghost produced. EDM seems to have really lowered the bar for what is acceptable DJing since people seem to defend her on the basis that she's really mixing!!, as if chaining linear techno tools on CDJs one after another like a house DJ was some sort of grand achievement.

There is another belgian chick, Amelie Lens, doing kind of the the exact same thing but at least a bit better. I skipped through a 8 hour set of her, it was acceptable but she also has zero range - who the fuck wants to hear almost 8 hours of the exact same kind of techno? There seems to be a whole generation of kids conditioned to identifiy techno with only this one exact sound. I guess the same thing happens every time a certain sound makes it big? It seems emblematic for much of todadays underground-mainstream clubbing culture though, where crowds come to hear one specific thing and aren't willing to take anything else.

Last edited by Woony on Dec-10-2017 at 18:33

Old Post Dec-10-2017 18:21 
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
I'm not into that drone-y atmospheric style at all anymore, by now it's been totally played IMO.

Well, I like it, especially when it's done right, much like anything else. To each their own. I do agree, however, that the rate of fodder has definitely seemed to increase, but there are still plenty of new releases coming out with at least one good/decent track, and it's nice when they're available digitally in such cases (Arts and its sublabels come to mind).

There has been some decent stuff from Pinkman, as well, but I don't really like the direction they've been heading in lately (more of the same new wave/ebm, which has been increasingly popular this year).

This one from early 2017 is nice and different:

This relatively obscure release is nice too: https://www.discogs.com/aaaa-Jazz-D/release/10966026

Last edited by AlphaStarred on Dec-10-2017 at 20:27

Old Post Dec-10-2017 20:14  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tranceCDs
Reality Hacker

Airwave - Amber Sky

I can't find that version he plays at clubs though, is it a live edit? It's the one with that insane extended melody towards the end.

Old Post Dec-10-2017 20:51  Puerto Rico
Click Here to See the Profile for tranceCDs Click here to Send tranceCDs a Private Message Add tranceCDs to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > TA best of 2017
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackNeed help on this 1! [2003] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackLovechild - "Gloria" [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread