Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Sound Card Reccomendations
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
The Dark NINJA
Supreme tranceaddict

Jesus Christ for fucks sake you brought up SSD'S again LOL. I never said I bought the thunderbolt for quality only latency. I remember you saying speaker cables make no difference and now your all over raphia's fat cock on em. Cmon man get over it.

Old Post Feb-19-2014 18:49  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for The Dark NINJA Click here to Send The Dark NINJA a Private Message Add The Dark NINJA to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
The Dark NINJA
Supreme tranceaddict

Here's a thread on USB Cable that has 10 Gbs bandwidth and you say it sonly a waste and everyone in the entire thread says that the cable has improved their system, non audiophiles alike.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/light-harmonic-lightspeed-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-cable-18001/

Old Post Feb-19-2014 18:51  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for The Dark NINJA Click here to Send The Dark NINJA a Private Message Add The Dark NINJA to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
echosystm
super wow maker

Stop going on audiophile forums man. Those people are mind blowingly retarded at the best of times.

Lot's of people around places like TA and Gearslutz have electrical/electronic/software engineering backgrounds. You don't get the same level of delusional "pro audio" BS, because they actually understand how things work.

quote:
Originally posted by floyd741
i think echosystm is a pretty cool guy. eh pwns robby rox and doesn't afraid of anything.

Old Post Feb-19-2014 22:46  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for echosystm Click here to Send echosystm a Private Message Add echosystm to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
The Dark NINJA
Supreme tranceaddict

What about the 100 engineers who worked on the light speed usb cable? who's word would you take TA and gearsluts Or the real guys?

Just saying.

Old Post Feb-19-2014 22:59  United States
The Dark NINJA
Supreme tranceaddict

http://www.lightharmonic.com/lightspeed.html

And Check out all the awards especially from stereo times or whatever idkLOL

Old Post Feb-19-2014 23:01  United States
echosystm
super wow maker

quote:
Originally posted by The Dark NINJA
Here's a thread on USB Cable that has 10 Gbs bandwidth and you say it sonly a waste and everyone in the entire thread says that the cable has improved their system, non audiophiles alike.

Anyone who says things like "the soundstage was immediately wider" is a fuckhead. Instantly dismissed entire thread based on first post.

This cable has been designed to minimise jitter. The only time this would make any difference is if you have a shit DAC that actually uses USB for the clock (ie. the DAC is a slave to the computer). Funnily enough, a lot of "audiophile" DACs are like that. Your average music production DAC uses it's own clock (ie. the DAC is the master), so they manage the flow of packets themselves.

quote:
What about the 100 engineers who worked on the light speed usb cable? who's word would you take TA and gearsluts Or the real guys?

Firstly, based off their "about us" page, they only actually have 2 engineers. Secondly, they are trying to make a buck, so they are going to say whatever shit they can to convince you that you need their product. The entire pro audio industry survives off this kind of pseudoscience and hype.

quote:
And Check out all the awards especially from stereo times or whatever idkLOL

Well ComputerMusic magazine says your trance will be over 9,000 if you stick a cucumber up your ass, but we're all smart enough not to do that (I assume). Magazine awards don't mean shit.

Even if SSDs and $1,000 USB cables actually had some tangible impact, you would be so far down the path of diminishing returns that you should be more worried about having a perfectly regulated temperature to avoid your speaker cones warping... assuming your speakers weren't stored in an 80 degree warehouse and ruined before you even received them. That is, of course, a stupid thing to worry about too.

quote:
i think echosystm is a pretty cool guy. eh pwns robby rox and doesn't afraid of anything.

Last edited by echosystm on Feb-20-2014 at 14:00

Old Post Feb-20-2014 13:40  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for echosystm Click here to Send echosystm a Private Message Add echosystm to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Jesus Christ for fucks sake you brought up SSD'S again LOL. I never said I bought the thunderbolt for quality only latency. I remember you saying speaker cables make no difference and now your all over raphia's fat cock on em. Cmon man get over it.

I brought it up for two reasons:

1, You made that mistake before and I bet you got it from a site like that.
2, The misguided numbnuts in the thread you posted actually mention hard drives making a difference to audio quality.

Speaker cables don't make any difference. audio/line/phone/mic/instrument do. My shit is specific. Speaker cables run speaker level which is nowhere near as affected as other far lower voltage signals. That's why Raphie bought good cables.

quote:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...es-cable-18001/

Yes, and Audiophiles are attracted to expensive nonsense likes flies to horseshit. That thread is nothing short of epic. In five pages of discussion, not one of them posts anything remotely scientific - they just spout incredibly esoteric things like "makes it sound more 3d" and "larger soundstage" and "enhances the tibre".

I mean you have to be a real grade A moron to suggest allow a USB cable "time to burn in" and in this case it seems 20 mins is enough

I was going to say I feel sorry for the guy who mentioned he's lying to his wife about spending $1000 on a USB cable, but then I remembered he actually consciously bought a $1000 usb cable.

One guy chimes in to state how absurd they all are talking about burn in times for USB cables and how it's physically impossible for a data cable in increase audio clarity, and get's nothing but angry "you don't know what you're talking about" but yet, not one of them is able to post anything remotely substantive about how it improves their signal.

One guy suggests doing an extended jitter measurement test....

Result = crickets.

Juan, if I can give you one piece of advice, stop googling shit like this. Stay away from anything with home theatre or audiophile or hifi in the title.

You will get 100 times more benefit from calibrating your monitors properly (which I know you haven't done) or having an electrician come and balance the power in your room, both of which will cost a fraction of that laughable USB cable.

Old Post Feb-20-2014 17:11 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

yup.

that is the problem with people. They don't account for how much of a change the change will actually have.

I said a 200 sound card sounds the same as a 500 sound card because i know what your room looks like and i also know your mixdowns indicate your ears are not good enough to notice. And you aren't recording quiet acoustic music so you really aren't going to notice much.

What ever change you think you hear, you have what they call buyers bias Of course it has to sound better if it was more expensive. You never do blind A/B. I have a pair of genelec 1030s, 5 x 1029s and I use my yamaha 8" shit speakers. They sound good for the room. Good enough. There is a certain point were it isn't better or worse but rather different.

Using thunderbolt is fucking ridiculous unless you are running 64 tracks at 192 24 bit. USB 2 covers 16 i/o at 96 without any dropouts. The extra bandwidth doesn't increase speed. The cable doesn't sound better.

THunderbolt has the display channel piggy backed and people using regular devices have interference issues. probably doesn't happen with usb but why waste a port when you are using well. Rann was also rather conservative in terms of the bandwidth thunderbolt gives you. You would be wasting it.

And I'm assuming tdark ninja is the guy that keeps buying and selling shit. The guy that thought he didn't need an audio device if he got an D/A converter. The guy that keeps buying and selling every month. You are part of that group that blames the tools and get into this terrible habit of always changing things. The problem is you. Not your equipment.

Old Post Feb-20-2014 19:45 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

Funny to see a thread go 4 pages over 10 days with the OP never responding.

Sonar Platinum | Ableton Live 9 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Old Post Feb-20-2014 22:21  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by clay
sorry i wasnt entirely clear. it does support 24bit in asio (in your daw) but not via windows playback so if you plan to render your projects in 24bit wav and listen to them in a normal mediaplayer youre out of luck, even with asio4all. but it does support 24bit inside the daw for monitoring and recording, if you keep it at 48kHz and no more.
yes its pseudobalanced, not supporting +4dB. i dont recall the voltage for +4dB compared to 0dB, or even -10dB level but like many soundcards and dacs its not proper balanced due to lack of +4dB and therefore not any better signal to noise floor than any traditional RCA cd player.

Wow, that's weird that it won't support 24bit playback in windows. It actually balanced then, but just not at professional standard (+4db) which means it's only a consumer device. It's seems strange to me that they'd make a soundcard that's 24bit 96k but not make it at least have an option for +4db.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Funny to see a thread go 4 pages over 10 days with the OP never responding.

Ha, true. I think he got more than he bargained for.

Old Post Feb-20-2014 23:02 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
echosystm
super wow maker

quote:
but it does support 24bit inside the daw for monitoring and recording, if you keep it at 48kHz and no more.

The Windows drivers are the culprit here. It's not the hardware. I use a Mac and they work at 24/96 without even installing any drivers, so I don't care.

quote:
yes its pseudobalanced, not supporting +4dB. i dont recall the voltage for +4dB compared to 0dB, or even -10dB level but like many soundcards and dacs its not proper balanced due to lack of +4dB and therefore not any better signal to noise floor than any traditional RCA cd player.

That is not what pseudobalanced means. The whole point of balanced outputs is that it enables you to ensure your source, destination and connection all share a common ground. This helps to avoid ground noise. Balanced will always be superior to RCA, regardless of the supported line level.

According to the manual, they do support +4db, so I think you're just doing it wrong.

quote:

Last edited by echosystm on Feb-20-2014 at 23:24

Old Post Feb-20-2014 23:13  Australia
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by echosystm
The Windows drivers are the culprit here. It's not the hardware. I use a Mac and they work at 24/96 without even installing any drivers, so I don't care.

One of the many reasons, I keep telling people that windows is a joke for pro audio.

quote:
Originally posted by echosystm
That is not what pseudobalanced means. The whole point of balanced outputs is that it enables you to ensure your source, destination and connection all share a common ground. This helps to avoid ground noise. Balanced will always be superior to RCA, regardless of the supported line level.

According to the manual, they do support +4db, so I think you're just doing it wrong.

That's why I said it's actually balanced then, but if it's only -10, then that is a bit shit as the noise floor is inherent relative to the level of the signal and if you need to go int ot any other pro stage you're going to have to jack it up, along with the noise.

but then again, he might have been doing it wrong

Old Post Feb-21-2014 01:10 

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Sound Card Reccomendations
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPvD @ Evosonic 1997 [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackFuture Prophecy - Indra [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread