Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Prometheus, epic stuff
Pages (24): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

quote:
Originally posted by Spam
I feel like upping my 7.5/10 score just to irk them that little bit extra...

Done.

8/10 for Prometheus! What a great piece of entertainment!

one doesn’t need to be a system-j-esque cinema expert to know Prometheus sucked the wang.

alien => Prometheus.
empire strikes back => phantom menace.

Old Post Jun-13-2012 03:24  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for pkcRAISTLIN Click here to Send pkcRAISTLIN a Private Message Add pkcRAISTLIN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

I was waiting for someone to drop that comparison. I think it's a bit of a stretch.

Old Post Jun-13-2012 05:02  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

quote:
Originally posted by WittyHandle
I was waiting for someone to drop that comparison. I think it's a bit of a stretch.

you mean mine? why a stretch? I wasn’t trying to be system jack and draw any deep parallels or anything, just that when directors had little to work with (visually) they seemed to pay more attention to the rest of the film. basically alien was great, empire was great, and the later prequels sucked huge dick in comparison.

Old Post Jun-13-2012 06:11  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for pkcRAISTLIN Click here to Send pkcRAISTLIN a Private Message Add pkcRAISTLIN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

I think that part of the reason why I enjoyed it more than others seem to have is that I'm not comparing it to Alien, which I only saw once and it was quite a while ago (although I will be again soon). I'm just looking at it by itself and I enjoyed it for that. As for Star Wars, we may just have different tastes, as while I agree that the first two prequels sucked, I really enjoyed the third.

Old Post Jun-13-2012 06:48  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Meat187
Diese scheiß Katze

Oh crap. This will come to German cinemas only in August.
I don't think I can resist the temptation of piracy until then. Why the hell does it take this long??

Then stop coloring and visit Meat187's mix archive!

Old Post Jun-13-2012 07:12  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for Meat187 Click here to Send Meat187 a Private Message Add Meat187 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

quote:
Originally posted by WittyHandle
I think that part of the reason why I enjoyed it more than others seem to have is that I'm not comparing it to Alien, which I only saw once and it was quite a while ago (although I will be again soon). I'm just looking at it by itself and I enjoyed it for that. As for Star Wars, we may just have different tastes, as while I agree that the first two prequels sucked, I really enjoyed the third.

yeah, that's pretty much what i care about re films too. i certainly dont sit there and consciously critique it on any level or anything. i thought prometheus was bad all on its own, and its loose relation to previously good film(s) just made it a little worse.

im a huge nerd and i cut speculative fiction way more slack than any other genre, but fuck me, i can't believe the guy who made black hawk down is responsible for this shit.

Old Post Jun-13-2012 07:32  Australia
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
No it doesn't. Alien was a homage to pulp sci-fi. All of science fiction is a homage to other science fiction. Read up on the academic discourse surrounding the genre (I recommend Adam Roberts' book Science Fiction as a good primer).

Sure, this is true of almost any genre. In this case I think it's important to ask what is Prometheus' position within the genre, how does it expand on the themes of previous Alien films and why does it openly alludes to both Golden Age sci-fi and b-horror movies.

This is what the post I quoted addresses, at least to an extent. Of course, it's taken out of context so it's not supposed to be some kind of an ultimate explanation of the film, but I think it nicely deals with some of the seeming inconsistencies and actually is the most coherent interpretation of Prometheus I've seen so far. You then simply dismiss it as a "mere bad film-student essay" without actually saying why it's not a valid reading of the film.

I don't see how a postmodern approach is somehow inferior here. I mean, the first shot of the film quotes 2001 (a film about transcendence). In the last shot we see a xenomorph (a penis). What happens in between is quite accurately described in SMG's analysis.

I guess where we differ is that I don't think a bad script necessarily means a bad film.

Old Post Jun-13-2012 13:06 
Click Here to See the Profile for GoSpeedGo! Click here to Send GoSpeedGo! a Private Message Add GoSpeedGo! to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

system j > you. a million times.

Old Post Jun-13-2012 13:09  Australia
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
system j > you. a million times.

Ok. Can you do something else outside of cheerleading?

Old Post Jun-13-2012 13:32 
Click Here to See the Profile for GoSpeedGo! Click here to Send GoSpeedGo! a Private Message Add GoSpeedGo! to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

Well he has a rather extensive background in ballet. Most of them start out as dancers in one way or another, you know?

Old Post Jun-13-2012 14:48 
Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon+On+On Click here to Send Halcyon+On+On a Private Message Add Halcyon+On+On to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

I still haven't seen this movie. I'm letting the butthurt flow through my every vein, purging all expectation so that I will probably fall in love with the film.

Oh shit, I just became aware of my own inverse psychology, and am starting to formulate expectation. ABORT, ABORT!

Old Post Jun-13-2012 14:50 
Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon+On+On Click here to Send Halcyon+On+On a Private Message Add Halcyon+On+On to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

quote:
Originally posted by GoSpeedGo!

Ok. Can you do something else outside of cheerleading?

yes, I can say, based on posts in this thread and others, that you have no fucking idea what you’re talking about. system-j on the other hand is quite clearly the real deal.

even to a film numpty like myself, there is a very clear difference between pretenders (you) and those that have relevant expertise (system-j). either you need to study more to elevate yourself above your current sophistry, or give the game away and spend time doing things you’re actually good at.

Old Post Jun-13-2012 22:56  Australia

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Prometheus, epic stuff
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (24): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackID vocal trance (very easy) [2007] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackExpansion - "Listen" (Jerry Bonham Vs. Expansion Mix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread