Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Friday 134: Stolen Car Edition
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Mr.Mystery
Static Guru

quote:
Originally posted by JEO

Anyway, even if I was wrong with my original point, I can still say my country rocks then if being able to move out of home at a young age depends on rent controls, housing stock, costs of living, job markets, and social welfare. Which I can see it could.

The cost of living is pretty strongly divided between the Helsinki region and the rest of the country, which is a bit ridiculous.

Old Post Nov-17-2017 20:23  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Mystery Click here to Send Mr.Mystery a Private Message Add Mr.Mystery to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by JEO
Well yes they do. The map and the figures themselves are irrelevant and posted just to emphasize the fact that so many American millenials still live at home. I don't think that still invalidates my point that encouraging a teenager from early on to move out and preparing them is better than letting things go so far that you'll have to throw them out of your home, which I would see as a failure on my part if I was a parent. What will throwing them out teach them? Independence, responsibility? If it "works", then I stand here corrected, but to me that feels like an unnecessarily harsh way to punish (as ziptnf put it) someone for something that might be stemming from a parent's shortcomings to begin with.

At some point you're gonna want your kid to leave your home, both for your sake and theirs, so why not start early? I got my first hint at age 14 as a Chrismas gift, which was a book on how to move out of home, be "independent", what goes into getting an apartment, and so on.

Just as a sidenote for the figures in the map; if 40.6% of the millenials in New York state are unable to provide for themselves, forcing them to live at their parents' house, that's a sad picture. Wonder why North Dakota and South Dakota are doing so well in this regard.

Anyway, even if I was wrong with my original point, I can still say my country rocks then if being able to move out of home at a young age depends on rent controls, housing stock, costs of living, job markets, and social welfare. Which I can see it could.

I didn't mean the map, I meant your country's percentages versus other countries. I don't know anything about Finnish society, but as a rule, the further north you go in Europe, the more sensible and liberal the social policies become. It's not a deep-rooted cultural thing for Americans to stay with their parents so late. It's a result of social and economic circumstances that have followed the financial crisis. The numbers have shot up in the UK as well. It's very much a new phenomenon.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Nov-17-2017 20:34  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mystery
The cost of living is pretty strongly divided between the Helsinki region and the rest of the country, which is a bit ridiculous.

That's true, and doesn't the Helsinki region also produce at least 80% of Finland's gdp with only 20% Finland's population living there? Pareto principle in action. If only it was not for us country-folks, even the people in Helsinki could afford to move out of home.

But seriously yeah, the differences in cost of living between Helsinki and the rest of Finland are ridiculous. I've been looking at Oulu lately as a viable option, actually. Even cheaper than this town, more tech jobs, etc.

Old Post Nov-17-2017 20:35  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for JEO Click here to Send JEO a Private Message Add JEO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr.Mystery
Static Guru

Yeah, we should just form our own country and ignore you hillbillies

Old Post Nov-17-2017 20:39  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Mystery Click here to Send Mr.Mystery a Private Message Add Mr.Mystery to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

quote:
Originally posted by JEO
There's no such kicking-someone-out culture here at least, yet we have the lowest proportion of "young people" living with their parents in Europe. Kids are encouraged to move out of their parents' house, with or without the help of the parents, not kicked out.

For the record, this isn't really the norm in the US, unless it's in an economically underdeveloped state or region where parents can barely afford to raise them to 18 as it is. In those cases, there is generally pressure for the kid to move out by 18, yes, but this isn't a widespread cultural standard. I moved out at 18 but came back to my parents for another year or two in my early 20's when I didn't have a job and was still in school.

Set Archive | TA DJ Challenge

Old Post Nov-17-2017 21:19 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I didn't mean the map, I meant your country's percentages versus other countries. I don't know anything about Finnish society, but as a rule, the further north you go in Europe, the more sensible and liberal the social policies become. It's not a deep-rooted cultural thing for Americans to stay with their parents so late. It's a result of social and economic circumstances that have followed the financial crisis. The numbers have shot up in the UK as well. It's very much a new phenomenon.

Aaah, ok I probably know as much of the USA as you know about Finland. I just like to complain about them for whatever reason to appear a bit more European.

I'm not very good with these terms, but if by social policies you were referring to, for example, our welfare system then yeah, it's quite easy to move out of home even without a job and support yourself for a while.

Old Post Nov-17-2017 21:22  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for JEO Click here to Send JEO a Private Message Add JEO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

Had to clean the car this afternoon, actually my wife's car. Bought new wheels with all weather tires after intensive research and a dirty car with shinny wheels doesn't really match.
Old me got cold at soccer training with 2 degrees C. The kids however didn't give a shit. Good that it's a lot warmer tomorrow morning at nine..

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Old Post Nov-17-2017 21:35  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow

Old Post Nov-17-2017 23:12 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

Me? I'm getting emotionally ready to buy Komplete 11.

Corinthians won the Brasileirão and the talk with the student we had to kick out due to plagiarism wasn't as painful as I thought it would be (she took it like a champ and understood we had no choice). It's been a week with ups and downs.
quote:
Originally posted by ziptnf
For the record, this isn't really the norm in the US, unless it's in an economically underdeveloped state or region where parents can barely afford to raise them to 18 as it is. In those cases, there is generally pressure for the kid to move out by 18, yes, but this isn't a widespread cultural standard.

Really? I always thought it was the norm.

I moved out of my parents' house aged 24 and, by Brazilian standards, it was way too early, as I was still single and living in Brasília. Unless you're getting married or moving to another city, there's no reason whatsoever you should move out for most Brazilians. I only did it because I wanted go to raves undisturbed

Old Post Nov-18-2017 00:03  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow

Maybe we move out sooner in the West because we love freedom more than Brazil

Old Post Nov-18-2017 01:31 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Originally posted by Jon_Snow
Maybe we move out sooner in the West because we love freedom more than Brazil

Fun fact: As far as love of freedom is concerned, my point stands. Culturally, Latin America and South Africa (but not Japan) are clearly part of the West, according to the Pew Research Centre. Kenya and Tanzania are also free to hop on board the Western bandwagon.

QED

Old Post Nov-18-2017 02:20  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I work with a bunch of people aged 21-25 and they all seem to live with their parents. I don't get how they can do anything fun. It seems to be the boring suburban kids most likely to do it. Most of them could move out, but they'd have to move into a house share with randoms, due to rent prices these days. For me, that wasn't a problem. For them, it's unpalatable.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Nov-18-2017 10:04  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Friday 134: Stolen Car Edition
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacktrack id #2 [from marco carola - live at bleu, detroit (26-02-2005) [2005] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackZero - "Emit/Collect" (Rennie Pilgrem's Agatha Stomp Mix) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread