Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Is melodic house/techno the new trance?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Light The Fuse
Training Tranceaddicts

Is melodic house/techno the new trance?

Seems to me like its finally happened. Trance and progressive trance have returned - its just not called trance.
Right/wrong/move on with your life?

Old Post Jul-05-2018 02:35  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Light The Fuse Click here to Send Light The Fuse a Private Message Add Light The Fuse to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

The new trance, like in terms of popularity and being an undemanding gateway genre? I don't think so. As far as I can tell, the new prog is just the new prog.

Old Post Jul-05-2018 03:12  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Paradox Lost Click here to Send Paradox Lost a Private Message Add Paradox Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Light The Fuse
Training Tranceaddicts

More in terms of the trance 93-97ish sort of stuff - which wasnt super accesible as say edm was like 2 years ago or ferry corsten was in 2005

Old Post Jul-05-2018 04:26  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Light The Fuse Click here to Send Light The Fuse a Private Message Add Light The Fuse to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

This happened about three years ago. In fact, I'm sure you made a similar post ages ago. Melodic, hypnotic, ecstatic dance music is clearly back in fashion, just at a different tempo and a different groove. It's only sad old bastards who need to jump around at 135+ who haven't realised.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jul-05-2018 05:55  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

Somewhat related rant but I see a lot of people on Reddit etc. talking about "melodic techno" when what they mean is some Tale Of Us -style track where someone noodles on a detuned monosynth arpeggio with some awkward strings on top for 7 minutes. Not very interesting or melodic tbh

Like this compilation, there is the odd decent track there, nothing is offensively bad but most of it is just piss boring, extremly flat, no energy or genuine emotion. Also, we've talked about this before here but man, there are some huge breakdowns in there. Who wants to listen to a minute long breakdown where nothing is happening, neither in the buildup, nor the drop? If you go the hands in the air route at least make it epic and PLUR and shit.

https://soundcloud.com/afterlifeofc...ciousness-ptiii

Old Post Jul-05-2018 07:59 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

There is also the "business techno", 130+ bigroom techno that directly riffs off cheesy 90s trance but most of it is genuinely awful.

Old Post Jul-05-2018 08:12 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
Somewhat related rant but I see a lot of people on Reddit etc. talking about "melodic techno" when what they mean is some Tale Of Us -style track where someone noodles on a detuned monosynth arpeggio with some awkward strings on top for 7 minutes. Not very interesting or melodic tbh

Like this compilation, there is the odd decent track there, nothing is offensively bad but most of it is just piss boring, extremly flat, no energy or genuine emotion. Also, we've talked about this before here but man, there are some huge breakdowns in there. Who wants to listen to a minute long breakdown where nothing is happening, neither in the buildup, nor the drop? If you go the hands in the air route at least make it epic and PLUR and shit.

Yeah, I personally hate that whole Tale Of US / Bodzin sound that is so popular. All of those guys abuse that same shitty rubbery synth horn sound that seemed to originate with Ten Walls - Gotham. I was trying to explain this sound to my girlfriend, and in the end I just skipped randomly through a Tale Of Us and then a Mind Against track on YouTube. Within ten seconds the same sound had cropped up. Painfully generic.

Old Post Jul-05-2018 09:25  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list SYSTEM-J is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

quote:
Originally posted by Woony

Pretty boring, and the noodling monotony of it all sounds reminiscent of the Cocoon and M_nus compilations that were coming out around ten years ago. I'm under the impression that Fuse was referring to melodic house/techno a la names like Christoph, Cattaneo, Khen, etc,. but if it's this, then it feels more like the new mnml rather than the new trance.

Old Post Jul-05-2018 09:35  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Paradox Lost Click here to Send Paradox Lost a Private Message Add Paradox Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I think minimal has created an enduring producer culture where it's acceptable to have no traditional writing skill provided you can fill in the compositional gaps with dark trippy production and twisted drug noises.

On a general producer-trends note, I've noticed that it's becoming much more common for modern tracks to have multiple bass parts around the kick. You might get three or four low end patterns these days, which to me feels like a recent development.

Old Post Jul-05-2018 09:52  England
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

Re: Is melodic house/techno the new trance?

quote:
Originally posted by Light The Fuse
Seems to me like its finally happened. Trance and progressive trance have returned - its just not called trance.
Right/wrong/move on with your life?

do you listen to bateman's mixes? the techno he plays is a lot more interesting than 95% of the trance i listen to.

Old Post Jul-05-2018 11:40  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for pkcRAISTLIN Click here to Send pkcRAISTLIN a Private Message Add pkcRAISTLIN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Scoops
4 bags deep

Yes...

and psytrance is the new EDM

Old Post Jul-05-2018 12:11 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Omnisphere
Supreme tranceaddict

Last edited by Omnisphere on Jul-14-2018 at 05:24

Old Post Jul-14-2018 02:46  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Omnisphere Click here to Send Omnisphere a Private Message Add Omnisphere to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Is melodic house/techno the new trance?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackOnly Unknown Left In Pvd's 17-12-00 Essential Mix [2002] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackGate 1 - The Flight (Space Mix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread