Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Sony MDR-7506 Review
Pages (20): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
n3lly
www.n3lly.com

quote:
Originally posted by Jarvmeister
These cans are so comfy that I wear them when I'm not even listening to anything......

Old Post Feb-01-2009 18:27 
Click Here to See the Profile for n3lly Click here to Send n3lly a Private Message Visit n3lly's homepage! Add n3lly to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
boris_the_bear
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by palm
the sound isnt very clear, rich or detailed. and the bass is way to deep/smooth warm. upper bass/down mid area pluss very high treble is almost not present

yeah. that's why the are studio standard for years

Old Post Feb-01-2009 21:50  Ukraine
Click Here to See the Profile for boris_the_bear Click here to Send boris_the_bear a Private Message Add boris_the_bear to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zak McKracken
Trance

quote:
Originally posted by boris_the_bear
yeah. that's why the are studio standard for years

there are many standard things in a studio that aint very good really. look at the old version of yamaha monitors, they werent really that good. infact they where almost only midrange so that the producer would try to correct that and fill up with bass and treble, this way all records start sounding warm and bassy which again sounded good on crappy stereos which was part of the point. sony mdr-v6 are probably standard beacuse they are very cheap, very much avaliable and pretty good, + that people knows them and they are easy on the ears. u will have to double the price if not triple to get much more detailed sound but in many cases this is not important. a singer for example only needs to hear her voice and u dont need super headfones for that.

Old Post Feb-01-2009 22:21 
Click Here to See the Profile for Zak McKracken Click here to Send Zak McKracken a Private Message Add Zak McKracken to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lunar Phase 7
Not a Flying Toy.

quote:
Originally posted by palm
there are many standard things in a studio that aint very good really. look at the old version of yamaha monitors, they werent really that good. infact they where almost only midrange so that the producer would try to correct that and fill up with bass and treble, this way all records start sounding warm and bassy which again sounded good on crappy stereos which was part of the point. sony mdr-v6 are probably standard beacuse they are very cheap, very much avaliable and pretty good, + that people knows them and they are easy on the ears. u will have to double the price if not triple to get much more detailed sound but in many cases this is not important. a singer for example only needs to hear her voice and u dont need super headfones for that.

Was gonna quote on the NS10's for fuck sake they needed paper going over the tweeter they were so harsh on the highs, still studio standard...

Standard dont mean shit really, it's the bare bones, the must have basics, not the best. I bought my 7506's 3 years ago, they've always sounded fucking shit to me. I tried to believe it was cause they were flat, etc. But they aint flat at all. The bass isn't there, just all mid and highs that are far to present.

Good vocal monitors? Yes I can belive that. Good DJ/Production phone? Simply no. Not for me, anyways. I enjoyed djing on the mdr 500's better. Even though their build was shit.

You know, William Blake said... uh, nothing is lost. Nothing is lost and I... I really believe that, we only move on...

Old Post Feb-02-2009 16:15  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Lunar Phase 7 Click here to Send Lunar Phase 7 a Private Message Add Lunar Phase 7 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Freak
Insert witty comment here

the whole point of the NS-10s was thay they sound shit- like most peoples home hifi...
get a mix sounding good on a pair of ns-10s and it will sound good most places

Old Post Feb-02-2009 16:33  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Freak Click here to Send Freak a Private Message Add Freak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lunar Phase 7
Not a Flying Toy.

quote:
Originally posted by Freak
the whole point of the NS-10s was thay they sound shit- like most peoples home hifi...
get a mix sounding good on a pair of ns-10s and it will sound good most places

That was not the aim, it was a fortunate coincidence that the NS10's made mixes that had the disco smile (high bass and treble content) because they through out nothing but mid (apart from really shrill highs, hence the need to put paper over the tweeter on the earlier models).

Orignally NS10's were hifi speakers, and as I mentioned earlier they sucked ass. Much like the 7506's. And this was also decades ago, nowadays everything even budget speakers are quite capable of producing decent amount of sound and frequencies. These old rules do not apply.

Would you honestly wanna mix down some deep bass heavy techno or dubstep on a pair of 'monitors' that won't go below the mid 70hz range?

Nope.

You know, William Blake said... uh, nothing is lost. Nothing is lost and I... I really believe that, we only move on...

Old Post Feb-02-2009 19:31  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Lunar Phase 7 Click here to Send Lunar Phase 7 a Private Message Add Lunar Phase 7 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Freak
Insert witty comment here

i didnt say it was the aim- or intention-of yamaha.
Ive worked in enough studios and sound related things to know what im talking about-both with regards to these and the sonys- but i respect your right to have a differing opinion.
We will hve to sgree to disagree.

Old Post Feb-03-2009 01:08  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Freak Click here to Send Freak a Private Message Add Freak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Tony Morello
The Renegade Master

quote:
Originally posted by Freak
i didnt say it was the aim- or intention-of yamaha.
Ive worked in enough studios and sound related things to know what im talking about-both with regards to these and the sonys- but i respect your right to have a differing opinion.
We will hve to sgree to disagree.

+1

also bear in mind, there's a difference between studio and reference, both in monitors and headphones

with a studio monitor or headphone, they color the sound to give you that warm punchy sound while reference monitors and headphones will tend to sound like crap to the untrained ear, however this is hardly the case, any studio i've worked in has had 2 sets of monitors, a pair of studio monitors flying from the ceiling and a pair of reference at ear level in optimum listening position

you get an accurate and flat representation of what the sound is actually sounding like, allowing you to tweak to your liking, yes, it will sound like crap to some but to those in the radio and recording industries it's a valuable tool to allow proper use of EQ and other plugins

what you hear is what you get and if it sounds good in that sound representation, there's a good chance it'll sound good on any speaker or headphone

in regards to the low bass response, that's what subwoofers were made for, no need to drive a speaker past what it was designed to do, that's why clubs have mid/highs and subs, proper pairing is what you need to do in this case

pros know pro audio, it's why we're pros that work in professional studios

as i said before, different strokes for different folks

Twitter
The Drunken Monkey Podcast
The Mixdown Podcast presented by Tony Morello

Last edited by Tony Morello on Feb-03-2009 at 04:48

Old Post Feb-03-2009 04:39  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Tony Morello Click here to Send Tony Morello a Private Message Visit Tony Morello's homepage! Add Tony Morello to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vinyljunkie09
tranceaddict

Anyone know where i can get replacement ear pads for the Sony MDR 7506 Thanks. Also how easy is it to change the pads has anyone ever done it before ? Thanks

Old Post Mar-06-2009 01:07  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Vinyljunkie09 Click here to Send Vinyljunkie09 a Private Message Add Vinyljunkie09 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Tony Morello
The Renegade Master

quote:
Originally posted by Vinyljunkie09
Anyone know where i can get replacement ear pads for the Sony MDR 7506 Thanks. Also how easy is it to change the pads has anyone ever done it before ? Thanks

contact your local sony retailer and they'll point you in the right direction, just simply ask about replacement parts for your mdr-7506 headphones

the pads are stretchy, they just slip on and off with a little persuasion

Twitter
The Drunken Monkey Podcast
The Mixdown Podcast presented by Tony Morello

Old Post Mar-06-2009 03:26  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Tony Morello Click here to Send Tony Morello a Private Message Visit Tony Morello's homepage! Add Tony Morello to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sjodalf
Mr. Lines

Location: Deep down in the forest, where no broadband exist..

Interesting thread!

Was searching for this pair at amazon, but seems like they have 2 versions of it?

Called:
1)Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone
w/Blue stickers

2)Sony Pro MDR-7506 Headphones
w/Black stickers

Anyone knows the difference between them - Which one is the best?

And, in the Headphones section on Sony's homepage I can't find these phones, which I find strange. (Maybe since their kinda the same as the V6, which is listed, as stated before in this thread)
But anyways, It seems like they have the MDR-V500DJ phones as their DJ flagship (together with the 700). Anyone who have tried these, or knows the difference compared to the MDR-7506 - for dj use?

Last edited by Sjodalf on Mar-07-2009 at 21:29

Old Post Mar-07-2009 21:24  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Sjodalf Click here to Send Sjodalf a Private Message Visit Sjodalf's homepage! Add Sjodalf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
woscar
Starstuff

I just got these on eBay, brand new for $58 incl. shipping. I've only had them for 30 minutes, but holy fuck are they impressive! I find them to be very comfortable, and the sound quality is spectacular even directly from my laptop. I'm glad I bought these.

My Set Archive - MY BLOG

Old Post Jun-19-2009 21:50 
Click Here to See the Profile for woscar Click here to Send woscar a Private Message Visit woscar's homepage! Add woscar to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Sony MDR-7506 Review
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (20): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTechy-House Track ID [2007] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackk90 - "Breathe" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread