Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > The Dark Knight Rises
Pages (30): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply

This isn't a car, bitch.

Old Post May-01-2012 19:56 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Please people just stop posting.

The more you lot post, the less I think you all have a clue about how films are made or the industry itself or film marketing, which again is pretty frightening considering how much you bang on about them.

Firstly, look at the original trailers for DK - virtually no major plot is given away in those eithers. Shit, you could have made a trailer solely for the first 20 min long heist opening sequence and you still have 80% of the film left over to explain.

Nolan purposefully does not do a Michael Bay and jizz the plot all over your pitifully expectant faces in a 30 second trailer months before the film comes out.

And yes, GSG is also right, when you're releasing the third film, after the first was a massive success and the second was one of the biggest grossing films of all time (and a multiple record holder), nolan could just flash the bat symbol with a date up on a screen for a couple of seconds and millions would still turn out to watch it.

The voice thing? Fuck, I don't know where to begin. It's part of the costume so he's not just Bruce wayne in rubber. And on the technical side of things, it's a little more complicated than "EQ". He's actually dubs the voice pretty close to that lower register and then they compress, eq and chorus it. It's a specific FX chain on a theatrical voice over performance.

Finally, it's not a trilogy

Old Post May-01-2012 20:49 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Nolan purposefully does not do a Michael Bay and jizz the plot all over your pitifully expectant faces in a 30 second trailer months before the film comes out.

Yeah, my point was that this is still quite unusual in context of today's film marketing practice. It's not just Bay; most of the trailers for new movies cover at least 2 acts of the story - in some of them, like in the one for A Dangerous Method, you see almost the whole damn thing. I don't have to be an industry insider to notice this.

Since you're so knowledgeable about all this, isn't it true that directors often don't have any control over what gets shown in the trailers? From what I've read these things are decided by other people who don't even have to be involved in production of the actual film.

Old Post May-01-2012 21:38 
Click Here to See the Profile for GoSpeedGo! Click here to Send GoSpeedGo! a Private Message Add GoSpeedGo! to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Halcyon+On+On
Liebchen

quote:
dubs

Awwww, shit.

Old Post May-01-2012 21:46 
Click Here to See the Profile for Halcyon+On+On Click here to Send Halcyon+On+On a Private Message Add Halcyon+On+On to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by GoSpeedGo!
Yeah, my point was that this is still quite unusual in context of today's film marketing practice. It's not just Bay; most of the trailers for new movies cover at least 2 acts of the story - in some of them, like in the one for A Dangerous Method, you see almost the whole damn thing. I don't have to be an industry insider to notice this.

Since you're so knowledgeable about all this, isn't it true that directors often don't have any control over what gets shown in the trailers? From what I've read these things are decided by other people who don't even have to be involved in production of the actual film.

Completely depends. For instance with Bruckheimer, nothing airs without at least their approval, and with Bay, he executive produces the trailers himself. Total control freak.

Other directors let the studio do them (i.e. "I don't want to think about it - you do it") and others actually have no say in the matter - this is often a case of the studio being in command and marketing the film the best way they see fit.

One thing you have to compute is that when the first and even second wave of theatrical trailers are made, the film isn't even close to a final draft edit.

On Iron Man, none of the CGI had even been finished (it was all greenscreen picture or big colored block frames in place of FX) when the first traler went out - ILM had to rush just those few scenes to a finished state so the trailer could distribute, and they weren't even close to a finished product (3-6 months away).

Another problem is score - most people don't realise that the score is the very last thing that gets created and added. When the first trailer comes out for most films, the composer has probably only just scratched out the basic themes; no orchestra recordings have been done, no mixing, no overdubs etc. Usually, they just have to hash together the main theme with samples and add a lot of taikos and booms/FX/sound design.

So the short answer is, if it's one of the big name directors (bay, Howard, Favreau, etc) then chances are they are heavily involved in at least artistic approval of the trailers (of course there are exceptions). If not a big name or it's really a studio created vehicle (rather than the personal project of a director/producer/writer) then more than likely the studio solely creates it or even subs it out.

Old Post May-01-2012 22:49 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

DJ RANN

Old Post May-02-2012 01:55  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for srussell0018 Click here to Send srussell0018 a Private Message Add srussell0018 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:

The voice thing? Fuck, I don't know where to begin. It's part of the costume so he's not just Bruce wayne in rubber. And on the technical side of things, it's a little more complicated than "EQ". He's actually dubs the voice pretty close to that lower register and then they compress, eq and chorus it. It's a specific FX chain on a theatrical voice over performance.

You forgot the extensive use of the flux capacitor and the offset matter / anti-matter ratio. Seriously, no one gives a fuck there DJ Flock of Seagulls. The point is that it was overdone and annoying in Dark Knight and they need to scale it back a bit on this one.

Last edited by WittyHandle on May-02-2012 at 03:35

Old Post May-02-2012 02:14  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
bananas
baby i got your money

quote:
Originally posted by GoSpeedGo!
It's funny how quickly Nolan becomes a controversial subject whenever he gets brought up, even on TA.

I think he's great, personally, and can't wait to see TDKR. The last trailer is interesting in that it doesn't tell us anything new about the plot. Compare that with the new Prometheus trailer which seems to give away lots of important information (though I think there'll stil be surprises). I guess TDK was so successful that now they don't have to tease people with another extensive promo campaign.

Old Post May-02-2012 03:29 
Click Here to See the Profile for bananas Click here to Send bananas a Private Message Visit bananas's homepage! Add bananas to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lagrangian
Suspended User

quote:
Originally posted by WittyHandle
You forgot the extensive use of the flux capacitor and the offset matter / anti-matter ratio. Seriously, no one gives a fuck there DJ Flock of Seagulls. The point is that it was overdone and annoying in Dark Knight and they need to scale it back a bit on this one.

HIJACK

Old Post May-02-2012 03:45  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Lagrangian Click here to Send Lagrangian a Private Message Add Lagrangian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Meat187
Diese scheiß Katze

I'm suspecting more and more that this will suck.

Then stop coloring and visit Meat187's mix archive!

Old Post May-02-2012 04:31  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for Meat187 Click here to Send Meat187 a Private Message Add Meat187 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ShabbaRANNx
Junior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by WittyHandle

Oh great, you're mixing back to the future with star trek references.

You do fucking realise you're on an EDM forum where people actually *might* just know what the fuck they are talking about before instead of just vomit-posting some BS about "EQ"?

Or was all the intelligence used up when selecting an screen name? Oh, obviously not.

Again, it's the whole point - he's not the same person. You may not like it, but it's all on purpose.

Old Post May-02-2012 05:00  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for ShabbaRANNx Click here to Send ShabbaRANNx a Private Message Add ShabbaRANNx to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Quazar
still likes trance

I think those of us who loved Batman Begins and TDK will love this.

But if you didn't care for Batman Begins and only liked TDK, you'll likely be disappointed. This one is obviously going back to being about Batman, as opposed to having the Joker steal the show (Not that it was a bad thing, that's exactly what the Joker should do).

And I, for one, loved the Bat-voice in the first film. It was a bit overdone in TDK, but I'm sure it'll be toned down in this one since a lot of people complained about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
At least last time you Brits got pissed off, we got punk music out of it. This time, it'll probably just end up being embers breaks

Old Post May-02-2012 11:32  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Quazar Click here to Send Quazar a Private Message Add Quazar to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > The Dark Knight Rises
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (30): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacktrack played by Derrick may needed [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPlazmatek- "Star" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread