Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Do people still care about Ricardo Villalobos productions?
Pages (5): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

Location: Ici William Bumbray du service de police de la communauté urbaine de Montréal Esti.

quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid
Maybe if he played more house.

He has always played a lot of house...i don't know where you got this from.

Old Post Jun-16-2012 21:48 
Click Here to See the Profile for zyklon-jay Click here to Send zyklon-jay a Private Message Visit zyklon-jay's homepage! Add zyklon-jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

I should have been more specific. I meant more traditional/chicago styled, 90's infused, jumpy house. I know he plays lots of european/german micro/tech house and lots of latin inspired house.

Edit: I say what I say because even though the house grooves are there, his sets very much feel like techno sets to me. The tendencies and the drive of the music he plays seem very much about function.

Last edited by wotyzoid on Jun-16-2012 at 22:28

Old Post Jun-16-2012 22:14  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
corjay9
Chief Executive Ocifer

Saw him for the first time at Stereo Halloween weekend, he was sposed to play an extended set but got off the decks after only 2.5-3 hours. He apparently took a bad pill and couldn't see the CDJ screens anymore from what I heard. He was pretty sporadic, a lot of really great tracks and a lot of weird filler, no real flow at all.. I'd see him again though.

This track sent the club into a fucking frenzy at 6am. Unreleased at the time on his label.

As for his productions, I like some of em, most of em I don't. He's a great producer though, his soundscapes are brill.. but yeah def a little boring.

Old Post Jun-16-2012 22:16  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for corjay9 Click here to Send corjay9 a Private Message Add corjay9 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

Location: Ici William Bumbray du service de police de la communauté urbaine de Montréal Esti.

quote:
I should have been more specific. I meant more traditional/chicago styled, 90's infused, jumpy house. I know he plays lots of european/german micro/tech house and lots of latin inspired house.

Edit: I say what I say because even though the house grooves are there, his sets very much feel like techno sets to me. The tendencies and the drive of the music he plays seem very much about function.

He plays that too. Depends on the gig.

He played an outdoor show here a few years back. He played a 7 hour set and was tagging with Perlon label boss Zip. He played a fuck load of classics, chi house,90's infused(have you ever heard of the record label playhouse? tons of house.). If he plays an 1:30 festival slot he has no choice but to play the shit you talk about, because that is what they booked him for.

When he is miss he is way fucking off, but when he is on he is deserving of the hype and more. If anything he's guilty of being really unprofessional, but then again people also pay to see the shit show like they pay for it when they go see Sven.

I've seen him play quite a bit and it only really sucked once. Cheesing non stop will do that to ya. Wanna cheese?

Old Post Jun-16-2012 22:36 
Click Here to See the Profile for zyklon-jay Click here to Send zyklon-jay a Private Message Visit zyklon-jay's homepage! Add zyklon-jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

quote:
Originally posted by zyklon-jay
He plays that too. Depends on the gig.

He played an outdoor show here a few years back. He played a 7 hour set and was tagging with Perlon label boss Zip. He played a fuck load of classics, chi house,90's infused(have you ever heard of the record label playhouse? tons of house.). If he plays an 1:30 festival slot he has no choice but to play the shit you talk about, because that is what they booked him for.

When he is miss he is way fucking off, but when he is on he is deserving of the hype and more. If anything he's guilty of being really unprofessional, but then again people also pay to see the shit show like they pay for it when they go see Sven.

I've seen him play quite a bit and it only really sucked once. Cheesing non stop will do that to ya. Wanna cheese?

I believe you, the man is a legitimate DJ. I'm going by the handful of sets I'm familiar with.

The question about playhouse is offensive, Jay. But, you can't deny the HUGE influence of techno in that label. LoSoul is house in disguise, everyone knows that. And I have to doubt you when you say festivals book him for that sound. Villalobos was the pinnicle Eric, Seth and Jamie are today when minimal was the shit. He gets booked to play plink-plonk, congos and bongos thump IMO.

And I'm confused as to what you mean by cheesing. Cheesy house? Drugs? Yes to both.

Old Post Jun-16-2012 22:52  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

i got cats in different area codes.

You can't disagree on something you have never experienced.

Old Post Jun-16-2012 23:01 
wotyzoid
it's not house

You always say that to me, but you're not a festival promoter either you goofball. And you can't tell me most of them expect him to play the new Eats Everything record with a straight face. I win, nigga.

Old Post Jun-16-2012 23:09  United States
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

i just sunk your battleship.

Old Post Jun-16-2012 23:33 
wotyzoid
it's not house

Goddamn. That's nice.

Old Post Jun-16-2012 23:37  United States
DanceFloorPoet
Dance Floor Poet

quote:
Originally posted by zyklon-jay
i just sunk your battleship.

Yea that record is absolutely ace. I wrote a shit-faced blurb about it on discogs.

Last edited by DanceFloorPoet on Jun-17-2012 at 01:53

Old Post Jun-17-2012 00:08  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DanceFloorPoet Click here to Send DanceFloorPoet a Private Message Add DanceFloorPoet to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
zyklon-jay
The Real Henry Hill

Old Post Jun-17-2012 00:30 
Lunar Phase 7
Not a Flying Toy.

quote:
I believe you, the man is a legitimate DJ. I'm going by the handful of sets I'm familiar with.

The question about playhouse is offensive, Jay. But, you can't deny the HUGE influence of techno in that label. LoSoul is house in disguise, everyone knows that. And I have to doubt you when you say festivals book him for that sound. Villalobos was the pinnicle Eric, Seth and Jamie are today when minimal was the shit. He gets booked to play plink-plonk, congos and bongos thump IMO.

And I'm confused as to what you mean by cheesing. Cheesy house? Drugs? Yes to both.

Jay's sets sound like a twisted cassette tape of Cher's early hits. I wouldn't worry about his opinion.

You know, William Blake said... uh, nothing is lost. Nothing is lost and I... I really believe that, we only move on...

Old Post Jun-17-2012 00:41  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Lunar Phase 7 Click here to Send Lunar Phase 7 a Private Message Add Lunar Phase 7 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Do people still care about Ricardo Villalobos productions?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAwesome song please help to id! [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackThe Gate - "Iron Eden (Terra Ferma Remix)" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread