Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Police target LA's illegal party scene
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
rowdy
Supreme tranceaddict

Evil1 Police target LA's illegal party scene

quote:
Dozens of events have been shut down by LAPD in recent weeks.

The LAPD has raided dozens of illegal parties across Los Angeles in recent weeks, leading many promoters to move their events to legal premises.

The current crackdown started when police raided a JACK event on Anderson St with JTC and Modernluv on Friday, May 2nd. (That one still went ahead, but at a different location.) The cops have pulled the plug on parties most weekends since then, including those by JACK, Lights Down Low, Donuts and Dialogue. Illegal parties in LA are generally events without a permit to serve liquor.

One of the more high-profile incidents was on Sunday, May 11th, when police helicopters were called in for a Donuts party with Omar-S and Aaron "FIT" Siegel. One attendee, who asked not to be named, described the scene this way: "The party was at a warehouse near the LA river and way outside of any residential area. It was also well organized and run, maybe 300 people were there and the crowd was mostly mid-20s, not underage ravers by any means, and there for the music."

He continued: "FIT played a great set and literally as Omar-S was stepping up to take over, the lights went on and cops came in the front. They shut off the music and told everyone to leave immediately. Walking outside, there was a police helicopter circling the building and shining a spot light down. People left peacefully but it just felt really ridiculous."

The promoter who runs JACK, who also asked to remain anonymous, added: "It's cost promoters thousands in losses and artists paying gigs. It will also slow the traffic of talent coming through LA, which has been on fire the past few years." The most recent JACK party, headlined by Steffi, took place on June 6th at a legal location.

JACK said the last crackdown of this scale was "about four years ago," adding: "When this is one of your jobs and you're looking at a year before maybe being able to safely work again, it impacts you financially. The legal venues aren't supported enough by an underground community to bring the high quality events with stacked lineups and great soundsystems into them and come out of it very successfully as a promoter."

Other promoters are less concerned with police tactics. Another anonymous source said: "We're still having a more authentic and better sounding time. Find us if you can."

Modernluv put together a mix, called "No More Rave," to draw attention to the situation. "It's our way of putting a positive spin on things," they told RA. You can listen to it here.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=25170

Comments:

quote:
Easy way to get around it: private, invite only events that don't sell tickets at the door and offer only drink tickets prior to entry.

I've heard about the promoter who ratted, and I won't be attending any of his parties, ever.

The biggest bummer is that Josh Eustis of Telefon Tel Aviv was slated to play the Jack JTC party and has not rescheduled since. Party got shut down immediately after soundcheck.

quote:
I have it on good authority that at least part of these party crackdowns have been traced to a specific LA promoter (since outed and hopefully blackballed by the bigger US DJ agencies) who was snitching on rival parties. That probably doesn't account for everything, but it's an extremely craven thing to do.

Sooooooooo who is it

Old Post Jun-20-2014 08:27  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for rowdy Click here to Send rowdy a Private Message Add rowdy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

Location: West LA, California (where retired party people live)

yahhh!!! who is it!!! That's fuckkkeeeddddd up!!!

Old Post Jun-20-2014 16:41  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for 72hrpartyanimal Click here to Send 72hrpartyanimal a Private Message Add 72hrpartyanimal to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DaveT
NEED PERSONAL COPY-EDITOR

If you run an underground party...you know, an illegal party....and if you attend them....I don't know how anyone can be upset if they are shut down? That's a risk you take and should accept before you throw one or go to one.

Maybe law enforcement resources could be used better, but illegal parties are illegal parties and there's really no argument for the busts other than being a crybaby about it.

IMO.

Old Post Jun-20-2014 17:09  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveT Click here to Send DaveT a Private Message Visit DaveT's homepage! Add DaveT to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DaveT
If you run an underground party...you know, an illegal party....and if you attend them....I don't know how anyone can be upset if they are shut down? That's a risk you take and should accept before you throw one or go to one.

Maybe law enforcement resources could be used better, but illegal parties are illegal parties and there's really no argument for the busts other than being a crybaby about it.

IMO.

STFU!!!! Dave T is a homo!!!

What if your hero Armin van Buuren was playing at an underground you were attending and the party was shut down.

lets get this thread party starteddd!!!

Old Post Jun-20-2014 17:34  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for 72hrpartyanimal Click here to Send 72hrpartyanimal a Private Message Add 72hrpartyanimal to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DaveT
NEED PERSONAL COPY-EDITOR

I would think it sucks but wouldn't blame the cops for it being shut down, and understand that there was a risk of it happening before I bought a ticket.

Old Post Jun-20-2014 18:54  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveT Click here to Send DaveT a Private Message Visit DaveT's homepage! Add DaveT to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rowdy
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DaveT

IMO.

Dude people are upset because someone is ratting these parties out to the police, and not only is someone ratting these parties out but word is that its someone very very close and known in the la underground.

They shutdown five 21+ events in one night.. Were not talking about some teenie bopper rave with little kids laying on the floor with pacifiers in their mouths we're talking about parties where the average age of the attendees are in their mid 20's.

Old Post Jun-20-2014 19:23  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for rowdy Click here to Send rowdy a Private Message Add rowdy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
bigperf
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by rowdy
But word is that its someone very very close and known in the la underground.

Ok so post what word is... If you're going to start the thread, don't hold back!

The incognito guys eh?

Old Post Jun-20-2014 20:29  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for bigperf Click here to Send bigperf a Private Message Add bigperf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rowdy
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by bigperf
Ok so post what word is... If you're going to start the thread, don't hold back!

The incognito guys eh?

Haha I don't know!!! That's why I posted the thread And I highly highly doubt its incognito.

Old Post Jun-20-2014 22:04  Germany
72hrpartyanimal
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by bigperf

The incognito guys eh?

nah... they have too much respect for and from the underground. I think one of their parties may have been busted too. I could be wrong on that.

quote:
Originally posted by rowdy
Haha I don't know!!! That's why I posted the thread And I highly highly doubt its incognito.

yeah... i'm digging around too. people are staying hush on this.

Old Post Jun-20-2014 22:26  United States
rowdy
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by 72hrpartyanimal
nah... they have too much respect for and from the underground. I think one of their parties may have been busted too. I could be wrong on that.

yeah... i'm digging around too. people are staying hush on this.

Yea one of their parties(Ian Pooley) did get busted.

Old Post Jun-20-2014 23:08  Germany
rowdy
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
hint: he's not in the USA right now

quote:
hint: this promoter has probably the most cringe-inducing email copy I've ever read in my life for his 'extremely intimate' parties (which may have stopped recently; I honestly couldn't be bothered to give a shit).

He embodies all the worst of burner + 'underground' LA dance scene + rave plur 1.0 corniness. He's the perfect storm of bad ideas. A douchebag playing with house money at this point. A fucking walking punchline and a very confused individual. File under: moop.

And the mystery unfolds down with him!

Old Post Jun-21-2014 00:20  Germany
Direct
I invented the pushup

Hahaha @ DaveT's hero is AVB.

Old Post Jun-21-2014 17:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for Direct Click here to Send Direct a Private Message Add Direct to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Police target LA's illegal party scene
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackCRAZY TUNE! Please Help! [2008] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDJ Tiesto - "Sparkles" (Transa Remix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread