Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Florida > PulseRadio: Dance Music has an elitist problem.
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Donnie Gryphon

PulseRadio: Dance Music has an elitist problem.

Great article from Pulse here. I completely agree with what is written. I'm guilty of being this way as well but have made a conscious effort to change. Thoughts?

quote:
This week, Paris Hilton showed up to Circoloco at DC-10, and the reaction was predictably irate. “Sorry but can someone shut her up. She wouldn't know a good mix from a bad one if it smacked her in the face” one Mixmag Facebook commenter wrote.

Pulse Article

Old Post Aug-20-2015 16:44 
Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Gryphon Click here to Send Donnie Gryphon a Private Message Add Donnie Gryphon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
bdr222
Angry ****** Apprentice

I wish my job didn't block every damn site. Will read this later but I think I've been guilty of the same stuff.

Old Post Aug-21-2015 14:44  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for bdr222 Click here to Send bdr222 a Private Message Add bdr222 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
–30–

As I told Chris last night, there are plenty of other examples they could have used to express this point other than Paris fucking Hilton.

By writing this, you've already caved in to what her brand works for: publicity.

She's the easy target, though, so I call it lazy writing and research on the writer's part. Or sheer cowardliness for not calling out, let's say, some of the Berliners who look and play the part (for better or for worse, well, that's what should be written about and debated). As I like to say, shut the fuck up and dance.

The scene gets so wrapped up itself sometimes people forget about what we're here for: the music.

Old Post Aug-21-2015 15:00 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Donnie Gryphon

quote:
Originally posted by OrangestO
As I told Chris last night, there are plenty of other examples they could have used to express this point other than Paris fucking Hilton.

By writing this, you've already caved in to what her brand works for: publicity.

She's the easy target, though, so I call it lazy writing and research on the writer's part. Or sheer cowardliness for not calling out, let's say, some of the Berliners who look and play the part (for better or for worse, well, that's what should be written about and debated). As I like to say, shut the fuck up and dance.

The scene gets so wrapped up itself sometimes people forget about what we're here for: the music.

They used her as the example because people were commenting and bitching on the Circoloco facebook the minute she walked in the door. Like you really needed to go out of your way to complain about someone that isnt bothering you on Social media.

I've made a conscious effort to stop doing this shit as well.

Old Post Aug-21-2015 15:58 
Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Gryphon Click here to Send Donnie Gryphon a Private Message Add Donnie Gryphon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Donnie Gryphon

everyone seems to focus just on Paris in this article and misses the overall point of it.

Why is the underground scene going out of their way to bitch and complain about people coming in to it that are new?

Old Post Aug-21-2015 15:59 
OrangestO
–30–

Like I said, everyone needs to shut the fuck up and dance.

EDIT: Also, the more I hear about Ibiza these days, the less I give a fuck about visiting.

Last edited by OrangestO on Aug-21-2015 at 16:41

Old Post Aug-21-2015 16:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
BPM_PHL
Senior tranceaddict

I can understand both sides.

There is a faction of people who are sick of the really poor quality pop culture that is shoved down throats by the media. The Kardashians, selfie culture, basically most things that end up on the billbaord top 100 to be honest. The "elitist" crowd are usually the most passionate and maybe are just trying to latch on to something slightly more "intellectual" or just better quality art. Paris is seen as part of pop culture watering down. While its unfair to call her out just for being at a party as a punter she did use her reality celeb/sex tape fame to force her way into the industry and spotlight, and with a residency at Amensia one of most storied and respected clubs there is. So I get the angst against her although its misplaced by the FB posts.

On the other hand I totally get the people who just see dance music as a fun way to party and blow off steam from work or whatever other stress and understand why they feel distanced from people who take the whole thing so damn seriously.

Old Post Aug-21-2015 17:32  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for BPM_PHL Click here to Send BPM_PHL a Private Message Add BPM_PHL to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jdub889
Supreme tranceaddict

dance music is not the only genre of music with elitist fans, nor is music the only type of art with an elitist audience. article may as well have read: "this just in--some people are dickheads and think they have better taste than other people."

edit: not a shot at donnie, i totally agree that people should be less snobbish, and i have no idea why anyone gave two shits that paris hilton was in the booth at circoloco (although anyone notice that she was waving an amnesia fan while she was there? wonder if they paid her to go over there...)

Last edited by jdub889 on Aug-21-2015 at 18:27

Old Post Aug-21-2015 18:17  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for jdub889 Click here to Send jdub889 a Private Message Add jdub889 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
BPM_PHL
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by jdub889
dance music is not the only genre of music with elitist fans, nor is music the only type of art with an elitist audience. article may as well have read: "this just in--some people are dickheads and think they have better taste than other people."

+1

Old Post Aug-21-2015 18:19  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for BPM_PHL Click here to Send BPM_PHL a Private Message Add BPM_PHL to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Donnie Gryphon

this is what gets me we have a whole scene of people trying to exclude a group of people that don't fit.

Maybe I understood the history wrong but I could of damn well sworn that dance music was for everyone no matter what your race, age, sexual preference, social standing etc. Imagine if the warehouse said no to people, if DT said no drag queens at Tunnel, imagine Larry Levan not allowing white people at the garage or imagine the the clubs not letting in the Club Kids in NYC.

This is a scene where everyone has a place and the underground is quickly shutting that door to outsiders. She isn't the first celebrity to ever visit a dance music institution and she won't be the last.

To the point of her coming in a using her sex tape to get into Amnesia. How are people going to blame her for that? Amnesia signed the contract, Amnesia approached her, Amnesia paid her the 6 figures per gig, Amnesia collected the massive profits. So please explain to me how this is Paris fault? Amnesia could've done just like the island did to the Ibiza Shore from MTV and not allow it on the island but they didn't, they choose to reap the benefits of that party and obviously there were masses of people who paid to be at that party.

Everyone also forgets those were the couple years Ibiza went way more commercial (i was there and saw it everywhere) from the Calvin Harris, Diplo, Skrillex Guetta, etc all the edm names were dominating the venues on majority of nights.

Old Post Aug-21-2015 19:08 
OrangestO
–30–

Berghain says no to people all the time.

I hated that policy at first, but I totally get it now.

Old Post Aug-21-2015 19:11 
Donnie Gryphon

quote:
Originally posted by jdub889

No but dance music is the only genre that has preached about inclusion

Old Post Aug-21-2015 19:13 

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Florida > PulseRadio: Dance Music has an elitist problem.
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTrack ID from Petter & Ozgur ADE set (maybe an easy one) [2006] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackMurphy Brown & Nu NRG - "Aloa-P" (Mr. Pink Remix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread