Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > 2016/17 Winter Gas.
Pages (15): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Mel David
That new digital sampler by Elektron what you think of it?

Meh. Not really drawn to it, although sampling + Overbridge can only be win.

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Ok, so need some help my TA bretherin:

First up. Finally a new audio interface. 6 ins, 6 outs. Don't need mic pres. Cheap becuase I'm a miser.

I would go for a used Fireface 400. Not sure what they go for in the States, but I paid £350 for mine and it's just unreal. RME still support it 100% and it now uses the same driver setup as the new UCX/UFX.

It's firewire, but I have a good FW card in the PC and it works flawlessly with the TB>FW dongle as well on my Macbook.

2ms in and 3ms out at 64 samples on an ancient i5

Old Post Feb-10-2017 09:40  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
I would go for a used Fireface 400. Not sure what they go for in the States, but I paid £350 for mine and it's just unreal. RME still support it 100% and it now uses the same driver setup as the new UCX/UFX.

It's firewire, but I have a good FW card in the PC and it works flawlessly with the TB>FW dongle as well on my Macbook.

2ms in and 3ms out at 64 samples on an ancient i5

I was thinking about that, or even a fireface800. We used to use them at work and they were solid as fuck. I have FW ports on both of my imacs so no problem and could also make it future proof with a dongle.

I was just wondered if anything has supercede them but at about $700 for an 800 (used) or $500 new for a 400, I'd probably be hard pushed to find anything better.

Thanks G.

Old Post Feb-12-2017 00:27 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
I was thinking about that, or even a fireface800. We used to use them at work and they were solid as fuck. I have FW ports on both of my imacs so no problem and could also make it future proof with a dongle.

I was just wondered if anything has supercede them but at about $700 for an 800 (used) or $500 new for a 400, I'd probably be hard pushed to find anything better.

Thanks G.

I cannot imagine anything that costs $500 new even coming close to a 400. Bearing in mind the 400 uses the same driver set (because RME) as the newer interfaces, it's pretty much the same as a UCX with FW instead of USB. Of course you're buying a much older product, but mine is 10 years old and still going strong. The midi on it is fantastic too btw.

Old Post Feb-12-2017 11:43  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

Fireface 400 was the first proper audio interface I had. But it was incompatible with my 2007 iMac so I ended up selling it, and later got a Roland Octa-Capture which I still use to this day. I don't know much about its latency but it's a solid unit and turned on 24/7. It's matrix mixer/router is not as powerful and flexible as RMEs but very functional. Only negative thing I have to say about it is that my PC won't boot up while the Octa-Capture is turned on.

Old Post Feb-12-2017 11:58  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Mel David Click here to Send Mel David a Private Message Visit Mel David's homepage! Add Mel David to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

all i can say about above is i have a UFX for a good few years, absolutely bulletproof

current GAS list
Dreadbox Erebus/Oberheim SEM PRO for bass & weirdness
Behringer Deepmind/Roland System 8/DSI OB-6 for synthy stuff
MFB Tanzbar

obviously not buying all of the above but Tanzbar pretty much a certainty
Will sell the Dom 1 if i go for one of the big ones, limited spacewise (thank god) - having a hard time deciding, more research needed. Nowhere close to me really where i can demo them and even then I'd need a couple of months to see

oh yeah and im getting one of those Keystep midi keyboards as my EMU has been around too long

Old Post Feb-13-2017 20:08  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

Better not show you what I just bought (again) then

Old Post Feb-13-2017 21:29  United Kingdom
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Better not show you what I just bought (again) then

"again" well then it MUST be good nice one dude

i was actually watching the Sonicstate review of the System 8 and he had the Erebus rigged up for CV or something, sounded really good once again!

Old Post Feb-13-2017 22:39  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

2016 was a year of GASperimentation.

I currently don't own a synth I haven't owned at least once before.

Old Post Feb-14-2017 12:19  United Kingdom
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
2016 was a year of GASperimentation.

I currently don't own a synth I haven't owned at least once before.

i think its the only way to find out what kind of synths that you like, then sometimes when you sell it you realise you miss it, i kinda feel like that about the Boomstar i sold, not sure i would buy it back as the prices remain high

thats the worst thing if you buy new and sell, you will always lose a few quid :/

Old Post Feb-14-2017 19:31  Ireland
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

So I like my Roland JD XA, but not enough (I think!), and am seriously thinking of selling it and going for a Dave Smith Pro 2.

I've been keeping an eye on Deepmind but the heritage and artisan craftsmanship behind Dave Smith is drawing me. Never owned anything DS before.

Any thoughts? The Rev 2 (Pro 8 evolution) doesn't seem right for me, as it seems more geared to pretty pads rather than big evolving bass's n leads and esoteric soundscapes.

What I feel I'm not getting from the Roland is enough tools to manipulate the sound. I listen to Deadmau's recent gigs and you get these evolving monophonic sounds that sound so 'big' and full of texture, but I do worry the Pro 2 might itself not be enough to get what I'm after. My best mate tried one in a shop and said it sounded thin. Cant find enough recent demos on the Pro 2 (having looked for about 30 minutes)

Part of me wonders whether the only way I'll ever get the sounds I want is via a modular set-up but I cant justify the bunce.

I find it quite draining to try and fail to get the timbres and sheer character of sounds Kraftwerk were coming up with 4 decades ago, mmm.

Budget about £1200 but could throw more at it and sneak it past the Missus. Just noticing the new Arturia Martrixbrute but wondering about quality given they have not been making analog stuff for long - just going to check out my first demo of it.

Old Post Mar-10-2017 12:00  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Butler Click here to Send Richard Butler a Private Message Add Richard Butler to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

To which Deadmau5 sounds are you referring?

My take on his recent stuff is that he's using pure analogue tone to deliver the goods. You ain't gonna get that from anything Dave Smith makes (except maybe the OB6).

If I were you I'd grab a Mother 32 and something from Dreadbox and a load of patch cables. You'll have a small 'virtual' modular setup and the sound will be killer. Alternatives would be the 0-Coast or the Analogue Solutions Nyborg 12 or 24.

Fuck full on modular. It's just a way to spend money and make procrastination look deliberate.

Old Post Mar-10-2017 12:39  United Kingdom
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

Everyone's hopping on the analog train and going to sound the same. I reckon dig deep into Reaktor or those synths like Serum or Iris.

Old Post Mar-10-2017 13:21  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Mel David Click here to Send Mel David a Private Message Visit Mel David's homepage! Add Mel David to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > 2016/17 Winter Gas.
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (15): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSasha & Digweed Communicate CD2 [2002] [4]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDJ I.C.O.N. - "Voco me" (Flim Flam remix) [2007]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread