Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Hardware synths
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
chris marsh
Supreme tranceaddict

Hardware synths

Hello Guys

Im interested to hear about hardware synths you own or have owned, their merits etc but mostly in the context of trance/progressive house.

Although Ive not experimented with hardware synths outside of the subtractive type and rely on software for FM, etc I do generally prefer them to software.

I currently own:
Virus TI. Didnt really appreciate this synth when I first got it as I was aiming for a particular kind of drum and bass sound which is much better suited to analog synths imo. Since switching over recently its come into its own and I absolutely love it.

Waldorf Pulse. Although im not currently using this much as I dont personally find its sound that suitable for trance/progressive I cant bring myself to sell it as I think its an absolute monster. Simply 2 oscillators detuned and overdriven (just by turning up the volume knob) sounds so fat to me - I cant believe it.

Roland JP8000. I bought this as I heard its a classic trance synth (and I am new to trance). Although initially very pleased with it, and having made some lovely pads and strings on it I do find it sounds a bit thin in the mix, and dont believe its the most versatile of synths so will probably sell it to free up the space and the funds for something more useful to me.

Recently sold:
Xoxbox 303 clone. Sounded great but the lack of automation was the killer for me. And is it really worth having an authentic sounding 303 unless the 303 is going to be a main feature in your mix - when there are great software emulations around now with automation? I dont think so personally.

Recently sold:
Dave smith mono evolver keyboard.
Although I made some nice/ raw drum and bass sounds, mostly with the onboard distortion and the Curtis low pass filter (both sound great) I never really clicked with this synth, and especially now Im attempting to produce trance/progressive having a mono synth can be a little frustrating.

Cheers

http://soundcloud.com/auroraproject

Last edited by chris marsh on May-10-2012 at 16:52

Old Post May-09-2012 23:49  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for chris marsh Click here to Send chris marsh a Private Message Add chris marsh to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceLover007
DariusX

Damn man, you have enough in your toolbox to be very danger producer lol - now you just have to believe in it and start to produce some cool Trance tracks - you don't need anything more to produce good music man.

Cheers,

Darek

SoundCloud

MySpace

Facebook

DariusX Page

Old Post May-10-2012 00:02  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceLover007 Click here to Send TranceLover007 a Private Message Visit TranceLover007's homepage! Add TranceLover007 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

Re: Hardware synths

quote:
Originally posted by chris marsh
I’m interested to hear about hardware synths you own or have owned, their merits etc but mostly in the context of trance/progressive house.

I currently own:
Virus TI... I was aiming for a particular kind of drum and bass sound

Sorry, but I don't understand your dilemma. You have a Virus TI, arguably the pièce de résistance of trance/progressive house, but you bought it for drum-n-bass and didn't like it for that, so you're looking for a new synth for trance/progressive house??? Or, did I misunderstand and you're looking to replace the Virus?

Sonar Platinum | Ableton Live 9 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Old Post May-10-2012 00:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list cryophonik is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
chris marsh
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Re: Hardware synths

quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik

Sorry, but I don't understand your dilemma. You have a Virus TI, arguably the pièce de résistance of trance/progressive house, but you bought it for drum-n-bass and didn't like it for that, so you're looking for a new synth for trance/progressive house??? Or, did I misunderstand and you're looking to replace the Virus?

Hi Cryophonik

Sorry if i wasn't very clear

I bought the TI when i was trying to produce dark Dnb and originally wasnt too keen, since i have changed over to Progreeive/Trance i love that synth - and wouldnt dream of selling it or replacing it.

Im mostly interested in hearing about what hardware synths people on this forum own or have owned (ive seen loads of symths in the show us your setup page) out of curiosity and a genuine interest in the things Thats why i wrote a little bit about the synths i own or have owned to get the ball rolling

Old Post May-10-2012 00:42  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for chris marsh Click here to Send chris marsh a Private Message Add chris marsh to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
chris marsh
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by TranceLover007
Damn man, you have enough in your toolbox to be very danger producer lol - now you just have to believe in it and start to produce some cool Trance tracks - you don't need anything more to produce good music man.

Cheers,

Darek

Hey Derek

Thanks for your reply - thats very positive. You are right about not needing another hardware synth, although i will probably get another sometime just for the pure enjoyment The great thing about buying used - if you don't like it you can sell without loosing out (normally)

Old Post May-10-2012 01:09  United Kingdom
cryophonik
Boom shanka

Re: Re: Re: Hardware synths

quote:
Originally posted by chris marsh
Hi Cryophonik

Sorry if i wasn't very clear

I bought the TI when i was trying to produce dark Dnb and originally wasnt too keen, since i have changed over to Progreeive/Trance i love that synth - and wouldnt dream of selling it or replacing it.

Im mostly interested in hearing about what hardware synths people on this forum own or have owned (ive seen loads of symths in the show us your setup page) out of curiosity and a genuine interest in the things Thats why i wrote a little bit about the synths i own or have owned to get the ball rolling

OK, so you're GAS'ing for something to complement your Virus, then. Got it!

In the subtractive realm, I will never hesitate to recommend a Nord Lead 3. I'd also highly recommend a Prophet 08. I've owned and used both side-by-side with my Virus TIs and they're both very nice. Personally, I think the P08 would be the better choice to go with your Virus, but out of the many, many synths I've owned in my lifetime, the NL3 was one of my favorites. Either synth will work great for trance/progressive house.

In the non-subtractive realm, I'd suggest either a Yamaha FS1R (FM/formant), Roland D-50/550, or Kawai K5000. All of these sound great for pads, leads, basses, and even plucky sounds, but are a bitch to program.

Sonar Platinum | Ableton Live 9 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Old Post May-10-2012 01:34  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list cryophonik is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Julz
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hardware synths

quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
I will never hesitate to recommend a Nord Lead 3.

Agree

Old Post May-10-2012 08:28  Slovakia
Click Here to See the Profile for Julz Click here to Send Julz a Private Message Add Julz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Deillon
Supreme tranceaddict

You currently own three massive and very usefull hardware synths for making either progessive or trance. I still don't see the problem.

If you really are looking for new stuff and need a review while you're at it, check this site out: http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/syntezatory_prv_pl/lista.htm

Old Post May-10-2012 10:42  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Deillon Click here to Send Deillon a Private Message Add Deillon to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
chris marsh
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Deillon
You currently own three massive and very usefull hardware synths for making either progessive or trance. I still don't see the problem.

If you really are looking for new stuff and need a review while you're at it, check this site out: http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/syntezatory_prv_pl/lista.htm

Thats a good site thanks.
There is no problem.

As i said a i was just interested in hearing other peoples opinions and views/recomendations on hardware synths, yes there may be a bit of GAS involved somewhere down the line but its really as simple as that

Old Post May-10-2012 11:02  United Kingdom
Zak McKracken
Trance

ive had JP8080, Nord Rack 3, MicroQ, Virus C synths. none of these does anything a software cannot and midi fucking sucks, so i sold it all. ive also had korg electribe emx & esx, they where fun but very limited. thinking about elektron monomachine and machinedrum combination to avoid computers completely. time will tell what i do.

Old Post May-10-2012 22:18 
Click Here to See the Profile for Zak McKracken Click here to Send Zak McKracken a Private Message Add Zak McKracken to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

i've had at one point

Virus B , C
Nord 2
jp 8000
Korg MS2000
juno 106
juno alpha 2
yamaha cs6x
sh 101
nord modular
waldorf Q the big yellow one
waldorf pulse
waldorf Blofeld
DS Tetra
Korg Trinity

they sound better than software as pure signal sources, but the workflow and the abiltiy to mangle the sound way beyond the limits of hardware make software more versatile, better sounding and easier to manage.

Old Post May-10-2012 22:27 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

I've had :-

Roland Alpha Juno 2
Yamaha DX7
Yamaha DX100
Emu Emulator
Ensoniq SQ1
Roland D10
Roland D50
Roland JV1080
Yamaha SY85
Yamaha CS6x
Roland W30
Akai S3000
Korg MS2000b
Novation KS
Virus Ti

And probably a few more besides. And I concur, software is far preferable.

I will get more hardware, but that's just because I want it. Some douche's collect microphones they never use for example.

Old Post May-10-2012 22:47  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Hardware synths
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackID - ID from 2010 [2012] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackViframa - "Cristalle (Katana's Intro Mix)" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread