Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Friday 288: US Election All week/end edition
Pages (7): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Zoso
Banging Gangs!

quote:
Originally posted by JEO
No, I don't think so. Or did someone say that?

I took as a general, rhetorical question, not something specific or something that someone said or suggested. As an American, watching 71 million people vote for that shit, I understand the overall nature of the question.

Old Post Nov-09-2020 15:52  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zoso Click here to Send Zoso a Private Message Add Zoso to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

quote:
Originally posted by JEO
No, I don't think so. Or did someone say that?

Perhaps I misread your tone. The use of the word 'though' made it seem as if you don't expect much to change, which seems to imply that Trump and Biden are not that different.

quote:
Originally posted by JEO
Well, ok.. Exhibit A on where the USA isn't the leader on progress.

I think the USA is the, or at least a, leader in healthcare, it's just that the distribution is skewed compared to most other developed/advanced economy countries.

Old Post Nov-09-2020 15:55 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

quote:
Originally posted by Zoso
I took as a general, rhetorical question, not something specific or something that someone said or suggested. As an American, watching 71 million people vote for that shit, I understand the overall nature of the question.

I'm also irritated by the woke/left people I know on Facebook complaining that nothing is going to change under Biden.

Old Post Nov-09-2020 15:56 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zoso
Banging Gangs!

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
I'm also irritated by the woke/left people I know on Facebook complaining that nothing is going to change under Biden.

I'll confess: watching Dave Chapelle's monologue was the first time I've heard the term "woke". Care to enlighten me as to what it means? I don't have any social media accounts, thank god, so I steer clear of that shit. I'm genuinely curious.

Old Post Nov-09-2020 16:06  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zoso Click here to Send Zoso a Private Message Add Zoso to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Perhaps I misread your tone. The use of the word 'though' made it seem as if you don't expect much to change, which seems to imply that Trump and Biden are not that different.

I see how it could be read like that. I acknowledge that they're very different, and that some change is going to come, but I'm afraid that ultimately the country will still be very divided, if not more than it has been now. I don't think the people are just magically going to change their mind with Biden behind the wheel, especially that ~50% of Americans who seemingly were ready to accept Trump as their president again. Sure, half of the country is ecstatic right now for Biden's win, and sure, America will seem a bit smarter to us outsiders now than it did for the past four years, but I don't think that alone will mend much of the cracks that were there even before Trump. If there's gonna be substantially more pandering to the super-woke progressives, I just don't know, since seemingly half of the country is ready to continue on the path it is
on now.

But please, be aware that this is an outsider's perspective, and I know very little about any of it or what people actually are anticipating, hence my original question.

quote:
I think the USA is the, or at least a, leader in healthcare, it's just that the distribution is skewed compared to most other developed/advanced economy countries.

Yeah of course. Should have made that clearer in my post.

Old Post Nov-09-2020 16:26  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for JEO Click here to Send JEO a Private Message Add JEO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zoso
Banging Gangs!

quote:
Originally posted by JEO
If there's gonna be substantially more pandering to the super-woke progressives, I just don't know, since seemingly half of the country is ready to continue on the path it is
on now.

There's that term again. Boys, I really do hate to sound ignorant, but I'm just not sure what these "woke progressives" believe or represent...

Edit: I know Google Is Your Friend (TM) and all that shit, but I can't Google context or knowledge/experience. So, please, hit me with the clue bat!

Old Post Nov-09-2020 16:39  United States
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
The world, collectively, needs the US to act like the adult in the room. And it can only do that if its leader fulfils the basic qualities of competence, cooperation and responsibility.

But is the US capable of being that adult in the room when their own kids are fighting on the street? Genuine question. I could imagine internal turmoil affecting that capability a lot.

Old Post Nov-09-2020 16:42  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for JEO Click here to Send JEO a Private Message Add JEO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zoso
Banging Gangs!

quote:
Originally posted by JEO
But is the US capable of being that adult in the room when their own kids are fighting on the street? Genuine question. I could imagine internal turmoil affecting that capability a lot.

I don't know the answer to that (logic would suggest that no, we can't), but let me answer a question with a question: I have never travelled outside the US; are other nations as divided internally as the US? I genuinely do not know. I am not sure the question can even really be answered, but I have never been one to shy away from asking the questions.

I'll say this: that, for me personally, I do not feel any real, genuine hate for my fellow Americans that are of a different political (or even religious) belief than myself. In fact, I have at least one coworker that is a very vocal Trump supporter, but I don't hate him in the least. We share a passion for many other interests, and we talk regularly. But I don't see him as "the enemy" nor do I actually hate him enough to take up arms against him. I can't and don't speak for everyone, though.

Old Post Nov-09-2020 16:46  United States
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by JEO

Of course it is. Do you think there has never been race riots or civil unrest in the US before? Or that these things don't happen in China or Russia or the UK, or any other country the US will have to deal with?

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Nov-09-2020 16:53  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Do you think there has never been race riots or civil unrest in the US before? Or that these things don't happen in China or Russia or the UK, or any other country the US will have to deal with?

No, I don't think so. If one president can affect that capability so much, it would just seem to me that how they're doing internally would too, but I must be wrong there. I guess overall I just find it absurd that one man's behavior can affect so many things.

Old Post Nov-09-2020 17:13  Finland
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

quote:
Originally posted by Zoso
I'll confess: watching Dave Chapelle's monologue was the first time I've heard the term "woke". Care to enlighten me as to what it means? I don't have any social media accounts, thank god, so I steer clear of that shit. I'm genuinely curious.

To be 'woke' is, in it's most basic form, to be aware of systemic racial injustice in America. [The word goes back to at least Middle English, defined as 'being on guard.']

An understandable and laudable starting premise, but unfortunately pushed to the extreme by some rather insane individuals. Warning shibboleths include words like 'diversity consultant,' 'anti-racism,' and '1619.' Those who are 'woke' now are more or less a cult. For a fun example of their 'thinking,' see this (now deleted) chart describing 'white dominant culture' from the Smithsonian:

https://twitter.com/byronyork/statu...0203651?lang=en

Sorry, black people, but 'objective, rational linear thinking' and 'cause and effect relationships' are part of 'white dominant culture.' Gotta get rid of 'em!

'Wokeness' often goes to insane lengths that makes no logical sense (see the works of Ibram X. Kendi) or is actively racist and infantalizing towards African-Americans (see the works of Robin DiAngelo). Unfortunately it seems to be increasingly normalized in cities such as New York City, San Francisco, and Seattle.

---

Also, how fucking removed are you from society that you haven't heard of this until now?

Old Post Nov-09-2020 17:54 
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by JEO
No, I don't think so. If one president can affect that capability so much, it would just seem to me that how they're doing internally would too, but I must be wrong there. I guess overall I just find it absurd that one man's behavior can affect so many things.

To be honest, the vast majority of this culture war shit has nothing to do with foreign policy, so I'm not sure mechanism you're imagining where it's actually relevant.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Nov-09-2020 17:57  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Friday 288: US Election All week/end edition
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (7): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTechtrance : What Is It? [2003] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackNalin & Kane - "Open Your Eyes" (El Barco Para Es Vedra Mix) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread