Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Current state of EDM, perhaps?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Armitage350
Supreme tranceaddict

Current state of EDM, perhaps?

Lulz.

Anyone know what show this is?

Old Post Apr-29-2012 15:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Armitage350 Click here to Send Armitage350 a Private Message Add Armitage350 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SebG
Et Tu, Bruté?

Current state of EDM = shit and commercialized at the least the "mainstream" part of it

Old Post Apr-29-2012 16:20  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for SebG Click here to Send SebG a Private Message Visit SebG's homepage! Add SebG to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Neonbeats
Supreme tranceaddict

Afrojack is such a douche. Armin is a class act.

Old Post Apr-29-2012 19:01  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Neonbeats Click here to Send Neonbeats a Private Message Add Neonbeats to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AY STAR
let the music use you up

it's hard for me to say but deep down i still respect ferry and armin they def paid their dues and brought trance music up
with that being said now a day's i dont consider them as "dj's" they are pop-stars nothing more...commercial pop hits,planned out 2 hour predicatable dj sets,dont take people on a journey with their music etc etc

Old Post Apr-29-2012 19:17  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for AY STAR Click here to Send AY STAR a Private Message Add AY STAR to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Blake
Supreme tranceaddict

Confused

How the mighty have fallen...

Oh Armin, your shows used to cost $20.

What I find most interesting about the state of EDM is the fact that a good number of us have been able to witness, first hand, the amount of time it takes for a genre to transition from underground to completely mainstream. Having kicked off the ground in the 80's and 90's, it seems to have taken roughly 25 years for genre's like house and trance to become completely mainstream. I mean sh!t, half of all "hip-hop" artists sing and rap over trance and progressive house productions. Pop music is nearly the same, as well. Naturally, this had already been the case in Japan (and other countries) over 10 years ago. It'll be a shame when techno finally goes mainstream. Nevertheless, it's nice to have been a part of something so long before the rest of the country caught on.

Old Post Apr-29-2012 19:30  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Blake Click here to Send Blake a Private Message Add Blake to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SebG
Et Tu, Bruté?

quote:
Originally posted by Blake
How the mighty have fallen...

Oh Armin, your shows used to cost $20.

What I find most interesting about the state of EDM is the fact that a good number of us have been able to witness, first hand, the amount of time it takes for a genre to transition from underground to completely mainstream. Having kicked off the ground in the 80's and 90's, it seems to have taken roughly 25 years for genre's like house and trance to become completely mainstream. I mean sh!t, half of all "hip-hop" artists sing and rap over trance and progressive house productions. Pop music is nearly the same, as well. Naturally, this had already been the case in Japan (and other countries) over 10 years ago. It'll be a shame when techno finally goes mainstream. Nevertheless, it's nice to have been a part of something so long before the rest of the country caught on.

Honestly, I don't think techno will ever go mainstream. Its just too hard for the average person to handle.

LOL, you think this would ever get the neon fags/ragers going?

Old Post Apr-30-2012 01:05  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for SebG Click here to Send SebG a Private Message Visit SebG's homepage! Add SebG to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
La Galería
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SebG
Honestly, I don't think techno will ever go mainstream. Its just too hard for the average person to handle.

You'd be pretty surprised how many of them will find techno boring as it just sounds like the intro of a trance song to them. I've also heard it be described as loungy haha. Then there are times, I've heard that it is too much yet they'll listen to Afrojack.

Old Post Apr-30-2012 01:11  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for La Galería Click here to Send La Galería a Private Message Visit La Galería's homepage! Add La Galería to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
The Vza
Gone Deep

quote:
Originally posted by SebG

who woulda thought dubstep would be mainstream?

i think the mainstream status of EDM is great. all im gonna say on the matter, maybe that's a TA poll we need to have

soundcloud.com/jaceomusic

Last edited by The Vza on Apr-30-2012 at 05:12

Old Post Apr-30-2012 03:18 
Click Here to See the Profile for The Vza Click here to Send The Vza a Private Message Visit The Vza's homepage! Add The Vza to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
violethalo
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by The Vza
who woulda thought dubstep would be mainstream?

i think the mainstream status of EDM is great. all im gonna say on the matter, maybe that's a TA poll we need to have

2006 Ravi vs. 2012 Ravi would be quite an interesting conversation

Old Post Apr-30-2012 15:20  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for violethalo Click here to Send violethalo a Private Message Add violethalo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AY STAR
let the music use you up

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SebG
QUOTE]

all it takes is one big techno dj to sell out or a guy like afrojack to experiment with it, make a dutch house song with some techno elements. him and beatport label it as "techno" then BOOM it will get out of hand and everyone will jump on the bandwagon just how it went with almost every trance dj to now trouse

i honestly dont think it will be as big as the pop sound mainstream edm is putting out, and i cant see a bunch of tourists from the midwest chilling at a blk market party, the word "techno" in america still has a dirty meaning behind it for the majority. me personally i like techno the way it is, every week in nyc there's a good party and majority of them are underground...lets keep it that way!!

Old Post Apr-30-2012 16:32  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for AY STAR Click here to Send AY STAR a Private Message Add AY STAR to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SebG
Et Tu, Bruté?

quote:
Originally posted by AY STAR
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SebG
QUOTE]

all it takes is one big techno dj to sell out or a guy like afrojack to experiment with it, make a dutch house song with some techno elements. him and beatport label it as "techno" then BOOM it will get out of hand and everyone will jump on the bandwagon just how it went with almost every trance dj to now trouse

i honestly dont think it will be as big as the pop sound mainstream edm is putting out, and i cant see a bunch of tourists from the midwest chilling at a blk market party, the word "techno" in america still has a dirty meaning behind it for the majority. me personally i like techno the way it is, every week in nyc there's a good party and majority of them are underground...lets keep it that way!!

Agreed.

Old Post Apr-30-2012 16:40  Poland
EarnYourKeep
LIT

theres nothing to really discuss

the subculture has done what it needed to do, it's gone from the american perspective euro trash to a highly coveted new age dance music. it was only a matter of time when catchy euro pop tunes met american chorus lines what we now call david guetta x kid cudi

like all things it'll perpetually grow and transform into the next hot thing.

in my honest opinion dubstep in its entirety reminds me of a scratched cd skipping, replaying, and speeding up all at once but its broken through and made its way

the best and honest thing is if you have a strong opinion about it, is to voice it as much as possible but don't expect any of it to change. you won't be able to control it but you are more then free to express yourself on the topic and often times you disagree by yourself but you agree in groups/hordes/communities.

Old Post Apr-30-2012 17:49 
Click Here to See the Profile for EarnYourKeep Click here to Send EarnYourKeep a Private Message Visit EarnYourKeep's homepage! Add EarnYourKeep to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Current state of EDM, perhaps?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPhynn Twisted 001, Track 4 [2007] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackProgheadz - "Innovator" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread