Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Recommendations for Compact Studio Monitors
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
miamitranceman
Extreme tranceaddict

Recommendations for Compact Studio Monitors

Hey guys. I have been rocking a pair of Behringer Truth B2031A's for years now and I think they are amazing bang for the buck. They do take up a large footprint on the Dj table and i'm looking to downsize in footprint but not build quality or, most importantly, sound quality.

I'm seeing a great deal online for a pair of Mackie CR3 for 99 bucks. But will i be giving up too much of the base I'm use to with the Truths?

Perhaps I should go with the Rokit 5s?

Any help would be appreciated. My worst fear is downsizing too much and losing the punch I'm used to.

www.mixcloud.com/jluger

Old Post Aug-17-2018 18:31  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for miamitranceman Click here to Send miamitranceman a Private Message Add miamitranceman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
miamitranceman
Extreme tranceaddict

The more I research the more I’m thinking I’d need at least a 5 in.

www.mixcloud.com/jluger

Old Post Aug-17-2018 18:42  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for miamitranceman Click here to Send miamitranceman a Private Message Add miamitranceman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Truths were actually one of the few Behringer products that were really fucking good value. They were complete knock offs of the Genelec 1031's but instead of costing $2k they cost $400 and actually were some of the best value monitors on the market (and bear in mind, this is coming from someone that has very little love for Berhringer as a whole).

Going down to CR3's is going to seem like a massive down grade in terms of bass but overall quality. Your Truths might be a bit worn out but remember that's a 8.75" cone on there, and going to a 3" cone is going to sound like monitoring the speaker on your phone.

Even a 5" cone is going to sound underpowered unless you find something that punches above it's weight (like the old JBL lsr2325p's which sound like 8" cones although they're 5").

However, stay the FUCK AWAY from KRK. As everyone knows on here I hate them with a passion, but they a really shitty monitors that have done a great job marketing themselves. Every speaker shootout I've ever done at every price group, they've landed in the bottom two of options. They lack detail and have scoops at certain frequencies that will really mess up any producing you ever want to do.

personally, I would look at Yama HS80's if you want a direct replacement for the Truths, or if you don't want to spend that much maybe look at the JBL 305 or 308 models as they will be up there too in terms of quality.

You're really best going to a store like guitar center and doing a side by side, but bear in mind they'll probably try to push certain brands on your due to better margin deals so don't really listen to the sales people, listen to the speakers and see what you like and ignore the "deals" or sale pitch.

Old Post Aug-17-2018 22:35 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SynthNinja
Suspended User

For cone size, I would get something determining your room size first. I'm rocking the CR5's and I know they are not the best but from experience good enough to tell the difference between PA's and Monitors when mixing with my techs and dn78. I mean these monitors were just laying on the floor before I had the techs and mixer kit and I was using Yamaha 15'' PA's.

So I gave the cr5's a try and like I said the difference was there. Now I know the effect of monitors, its time to upgrade, but studio comes first.

If your worried about making a flawless and perfect audio volume leveled mix fear not with the CR's, Heaven Above was recording with them, as you can see on my sig.

Last edited by SynthNinja on Aug-18-2018 at 00:09

Old Post Aug-17-2018 23:35  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SynthNinja Click here to Send SynthNinja a Private Message Add SynthNinja to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SynthNinja
Suspended User

Those Sams quite the feat when it coms to technological advances, especially for a three way. I was going to buy that 6.5 monitor duo but thats to small for my big room I think idk, maybe that I treated my room it would suffice. I'm using 7'' Inchars in my studio and its somwewhat on the ok fine side nothing chest pounding like before with focal 8's. Imo tannoy looks nice, haven't had. chance to hearr them out, John Askew uses a pair.

Old Post Aug-19-2018 11:06  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SynthNinja Click here to Send SynthNinja a Private Message Add SynthNinja to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
miamitranceman
Extreme tranceaddict

Thanks for the comments guys. These will be for actual live Dj mixing. I would still be using my Truths but I’m trying to downsize the speaker footprint. I’m gonna try out the cr3 for 100 bucks (no big risk there).

Thanks for krk warning!

I’ll try to post a pic when I get the final setup in place.

www.mixcloud.com/jluger

Old Post Aug-20-2018 00:10  United States

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Recommendations for Compact Studio Monitors
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTrack from Stadium, Jakarta. #8 [2006] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackKMC feat. Sandy - "Get Better" (G&M Project Remix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread