Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > pretentious or proper?
Pages (6): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

I'm not arguing, I'm calling you out on your idiotic statement that not hearing the word sans uttered in conversation equates with not keeping decently educated company.

Old Post Apr-12-2014 01:01  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Your "calling out" amounts to facetious and easily dispelled exaggeration. No surprise you kept getting Ds from those essays. What you're actually doing is getting pissed off because I patronised you and trying rather ineffectively to bite back when there's nothing really interesting to argue about in the first place. The only reason I said anything about the company you keep is because I assumed you were actually arguing with me about that point, but it turns out you were just repeating a redundant point over and over for no good reason.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Apr-12-2014 01:22  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Your "calling out" amounts to facetious and easily dispelled exaggeration.

How so? I still think you're an idiot for making such a statement, I'm hardly pissed and hardly exaggerating. And incidentally, that was the only English teacher I had issues with, I maintained about an A average in my English Literature major all throughout college. Good try, though. Now stop wasting my time with your bullshit.

Old Post Apr-12-2014 01:31  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for AlphaStarred Click here to Send AlphaStarred a Private Message Add AlphaStarred to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by AlphaStarred
How so?

Because I've already pointed out that most people in this thread didn't even pick up on the usage of the word "sans", thus suggesting it isn't an anomalous or anachronistic piece of language, whereas you're trying to equate it with absurdly archaic words, which is clearly exaggeration, to bolster your point.

I established that it would be ostentatious and frilly to use it in a functionalist speech act like ordering a drink. I established that ages ago. In the same post I also made a clear distinction between a functionalist speech act and conversing with educated friends who wouldn't baulk at words five steps off the beaten path. Despite me making this clear distinction, you still came back to tell me "Being in decently educated company is different from ordering a glass of water in a New York sushi restaurant." In other words, repeating what I've just said right back to me, as if I somehow hadn't grasped the very concept I'd just typed out. And then you say it again: "With friends it's fine, but we're talking about restaurants..." The argument ends there. With friends it's fine. Thanks for that.

So, please, how are you "calling me out" by just endlessly repeating something I myself had already stated about 15 posts ago? You're simply arguing to soothe your ego at this point. This is a recurring feature of AlphaStarred TA participation: get into some minor argument and then compulsively feel the need to refute every personal slight. Previously you responded to some off-hand dick joke by informing us that several girls had actually complemented you on your penis size. In this thread you have to point out you got As in college and you do have educated friends, actually, they just haven't lived in the country long enough to blah blah blah.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Apr-12-2014 10:59  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow

You can't talk sense to stupid fuckin muppet with a bruised ego. I don't envy the teacher who had to grade his papers. I think I'd need a bottle of scotch to dull the pain.

Old Post Apr-12-2014 11:21 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
–30–

quote:
I guess the issue here is whether it's pretentious to simply use the word "sans", or whether OrangestO is specifically asking if it's pretentious to use it when ordering a drink, a lowly glass of water at that.

The latter.

Old Post Apr-12-2014 12:49 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow

Not only do you look like Jean Luc, you talk like him.

Old Post Apr-12-2014 14:07 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AlphaStarred
-__---__-_-_-_-----_

quote:
This is a recurring feature of AlphaStarred TA participation: get into some minor argument and then compulsively feel the need to refute every personal slight.

You're probably right, and unfortunately it's likely to due to my mental state at this point. I'm very irritable and take everything quite personally. There's not much I can do about that, though, so until I get stabilized I might just be quite the bothersome and bothered prick.

I'm sorry if I can't take a joke sometimes or take everything seriously, I normally wouldn't be lashing out thus or engaged in all these arguments. Unfortunately my mind has for the moment regressed into a kind of childlike, oversensitive state.

Old Post Apr-12-2014 15:23  Israel
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

Sounds silly

Like a poor person with a fake designer bag. It only sounds right around those that are also poor and stupid. But like having 10 LCD screens in your mini van, people that use it just don't know any better.

Old Post Apr-12-2014 17:54 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dykes_on_Jay
Ape me.

The Lorena Bobbitt back-peddle imo.

Old Post Apr-13-2014 03:36  China
Click Here to See the Profile for Dykes_on_Jay Click here to Send Dykes_on_Jay a Private Message Visit Dykes_on_Jay's homepage! Add Dykes_on_Jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

quote:
Originally posted by Intellekshual
I bet it bothers some people simply because they can't pronounce it.

Honestly I had to look up what the "correct" English way was to say it because I hear it pretty rarely. Saying it the French way while speaking English would feel a bit strange since that sound doesn't exist in English...
quote:
Originally posted by AlphaStarred
en masse

Old Post Apr-13-2014 17:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dykes_on_Jay
Ape me.

Loanwords are a big part of all languages. English borrows heavily from the French language in this case. Nobles in the past also used French, as English was the language of the common people. The Brits, the Russians and so on...

Old Post Apr-14-2014 01:25  China
Click Here to See the Profile for Dykes_on_Jay Click here to Send Dykes_on_Jay a Private Message Visit Dykes_on_Jay's homepage! Add Dykes_on_Jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > pretentious or proper?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (6): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackUnknown Track [2003] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackGeorge Benson - "Give Me the Night" [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread