Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Friday 222
Pages (9): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Silky Johnson
International Playa Hater

Um, because it's Sasha. Lol. I actually went in with very minimal expectations, knowing I would, at the very least, enjoy being in NYC again with my friends and checking out a new venue. I was certainly prepared for Sasha to potentially shit the bed, but the whole night, and especially the music, far exceeded anything I could have expected. Just whoa, fuck. Amazing.

Old Post Jul-27-2019 18:21 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Sorry, but what the fuck. Sasha was literally the undisputed king of 4, even 5 minute transitions tighter than a duck arse. I've never heard him clang live in any of the 15-20 times I've seen him over 2 decades. I'm gobsmacked that he's fucking up mixes. I suppose at least it shows he's not using sync.

Old Post Jul-27-2019 19:04 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

You always say that, though. Apparently you never, ever heard Oakenfold clang either. More likely you were too spannered on Mitzis to notice.

There are plenty of Sasha livesets from the '90s where he fucks up. It's not exactly surprising, given he was playing on vinyl and notoriously liable to get munted behind the decks. I just find it bizarre that he's still doing it now on CDJs. If you watch that Boiler Room set he did for the Trainspotting 2 launch, the mixing is really, really sloppy. It's bizarre that such an experienced DJ can play like that.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jul-27-2019 19:31  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Originally posted by Jon_Snow
Sounds like you’re turning into the Monopoly guy...

https://youtu.be/D2ydY5sBnIg

If my eyes stay the same way for a couple of decades, I'm definitely going to rock a monocle later in life

Old Post Jul-27-2019 20:31  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Hides in Shadow
Suspended User

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Sorry, but what the fuck. Sasha was literally the undisputed king of 4, even 5 minute transitions tighter than a duck arse. I've never heard him clang live in any of the 15-20 times I've seen him over 2 decades. I'm gobsmacked that he's fucking up mixes. I suppose at least it shows he's not using sync.

Isn't that the trend which everyone says, sigh. I'm with jack on this one.

Old Post Jul-27-2019 22:08  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Hides in Shadow Click here to Send Hides in Shadow a Private Message Add Hides in Shadow to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
If my eyes stay the same way for a couple of decades, I'm definitely going to rock a monocle later in life

Btw is the game Monopoly sold in Brazil? It never occurred to me how overtly Capitalist it is. Maybe you should instead aspire to become Mr Peanut

Old Post Jul-28-2019 15:51 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
You always say that, though. Apparently you never, ever heard Oakenfold clang either. More likely you were too spannered on Mitzis to notice.

There are plenty of Sasha livesets from the '90s where he fucks up. It's not exactly surprising, given he was playing on vinyl and notoriously liable to get munted behind the decks. I just find it bizarre that he's still doing it now on CDJs. If you watch that Boiler Room set he did for the Trainspotting 2 launch, the mixing is really, really sloppy. It's bizarre that such an experienced DJ can play like that.

That's simply not true - I've heard Oakenfold clang plenty. Just never Sasha (at least live) and the couple of dozen tapes/CDs I have don't have any Sasha clangs. Every DJ clangs once in a while - I saw Cox clang pretty badly the first 10 mins at Space Terrace until he figured out the time delay (I don't think the booth monitors were working) so it happens and he was on CDJ's but Sasha, king of the long transition, was probably the least likely to in my mind. Oakenfolds "published mixes" were all cleaned up in PT though so you'll typically never hear a clang on them.

I think the "big DJ" to clang the worst was prolly pete tong, but then it kinda went with the territory.

Actually come to think of it, there was an interview years ago with Sasha where he says he plays his best when absolutely knackered - like been travelling for 3 days straight with no sleep etc, as he stopped giving a fuck and just pushed the envelope, but that it meant mixing quality might suffer so he tried to slow down his schedule to not getting off flights and straight in to clubs.

And pfft to Mitsu's. Not possible to get spanned on them even at Brian Harvey intake levels

Last edited by DJ RANN on Jul-28-2019 at 18:56

Old Post Jul-28-2019 18:51 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
That's simply not true - I've heard Oakenfold clang plenty.

When would that have been?

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jul-28-2019 19:35  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
Btw is the game Monopoly sold in Brazil? It never occurred to me how overtly Capitalist it is.

It is, but we call it "Real State Bank" (Banco Imobiliário). Not as popular a friendship ruining game as Risk, which we call "War" (War)

Old Post Jul-28-2019 22:18  Brazil
Click Here to See the Profile for Lira Click here to Send Lira a Private Message Visit Lira's homepage! Add Lira to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Jon_Snow

quote:
Originally posted by Lira
It is, but we call it "Real State Bank" (Banco Imobiliário). Not as popular a friendship ruining game as Risk, which we call "War" (War)

I thought you were joking. Dam they really ruined the look of the game I’m sure they stripped out everything to avoid paying royalties to Parker Bros. Wonder what the Russian version looks like.

yeah all those childhood games are ruthless and were always the source of the most bitter fights I can remember. Risk is modern day Survivor. Basically gang up on the weakest, then have an epic battle once it’s down to two. There are only two places you can win that game from Australia or South America.

If you like war-stategy games you’d like Stratego. one of my favs

Last edited by on Jul-28-2019 at 23:46

Old Post Jul-28-2019 23:40 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lira
Ancient BassAddict

quote:
I thought you were joking. Dam they really ruined the look of the game I’m sure they stripped out everything to avoid paying royalties to Parker Bros. Wonder what the Russian version looks like.

Hasbro and Estrela (the Brazilian toy maker) used to be partners actually. Hasbro then decided to go it alone and lost the war because we were already used to Banco Imobiliário
quote:
yeah all those childhood games are ruthless and were always the source of the most bitter fights I can remember. Risk is modern day Survivor. Basically gang up on the weakest, then have an epic battle once it’s down to two. There are only two places you can win that game from Australia or South America.

Us mods have been playing Risk among ourselves for years, that's why Stu and I are the only ones left
quote:
If you like war-stategy games you’d like Stratego. one of my favs

It's become harder and harder to find other people with simultaneous free time to play with

Old Post Jul-29-2019 21:57  Brazil
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
When would that have been?

For a start the last time I saw him play which was Rain, Las Vegas in about 2009 or 2010. Was fucking weird tbh, as he was basically playing house but then mixing in top 40 trance remixes and tempos were all over the place. A couple of times the mix clearly wasn't going to work so he just pushed the crossfader over, wedding DJ/Graham Gold style.

He also clanged at the Gallery (Turnmills) - it was either their 4th or 5th birthday. He mixed the track (I think it was Bullet in the Gun as I always hated that track) and I could literally hear the several bad warps as he continually nudged it to get it in time and it fought him all the way until the end of the transition, so basically galloping beats.

That was also the first time I saw he wasn't the nicest fella either; I had gone upstairs to see Tall Paul who was a playing a funky set (I dare say Bigbeat-ish stuff) in this tiny bar upstairs and on the way up the flights, there was a service door. It opened and Oakenfold went to walk through it. Some guy standing in the doorway instantly recognized him and said "Paul!" and stuck out his hand to shake it, to which Oakenfold sighed and just slammed the door right in the guy's face. Was a little brutal.

Old Post Jul-29-2019 23:27 

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Friday 222
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (9): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackID2 massive track from Justin Scott Dixon BP [2002] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPig & Dan - "Don Pedro" [2007]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread