Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > The Awesome Science Thread
Pages (35): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
itsamemario
Divine Angel

quote:
Originally posted by Fledz
Of course they pass on their genes. They may not pass them directly, but their siblings do. So no, technically not everyone needs to reproduce.

The degrees to which this happens varies a lot.

Your ancestry is not your genes. It's only the answer to how your genes came to be. Seeing siblings spawning offspring is not the same as spreading your unique mutation, and is also pretty much a fail from a biological standpoint.

Of course not everyone needs to reproduce, due to overpopulation, and some people can truly understand that fact, the irony is that that positive trait, ie intelligence, won't be passed back into to human genome, so to speak.

Old Post Oct-21-2012 04:39  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for itsamemario Click here to Send itsamemario a Private Message Visit itsamemario's homepage! Add itsamemario to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Nrg2Nfinit
ItaloDiscoAddict

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
it isn't just "inbreeding" . It doesn't account for mating habits ie polygamy. I guess i see what he was trying to do. His original count did not really register as pertinent as i took it for granted some of the more obvious reasons why that sort of calculation isn't accurate.

Inbreeding is only a problem in the short run. Those that don't survive don't pass their genes so the fact we are still around is sort of proof that inbreeding can produce diversity. For every retard that dies , you have others that are healthy. But it probably is something you would have to watch unfold over a really long time and not what uncle bob and 12 year old Chrissy spawn. Messy but it worked.

I don't really see it that way. I believe inbreeding can also create diversity as recessive alleled can pair up to create phenotypes. Their offspring can then mate with distantly related species and create diversity and so forth.

Natural selection selects those genes that are best suited for the environment. When the environment changes, it's more likely that we see a change of phenotype in those who are more closely inbred as they are more likely to produce homozygous traits which may in fact prove to be useful in the new environment.

see here

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucbhdjm/cours.../InbrDrift.html

Old Post Oct-21-2012 06:45 
Click Here to See the Profile for Nrg2Nfinit Click here to Send Nrg2Nfinit a Private Message Add Nrg2Nfinit to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Fledz
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by itsamemario
Your ancestry is not your genes. It's only the answer to how your genes came to be. Seeing siblings spawning offspring is not the same as spreading your unique mutation, and is also pretty much a fail from a biological standpoint.

It's not the same but it can be extremely similar. If your sibling is an identical twin, they can theoretically pass on the exact same genes as you, with additional differentiation coming from the other partner. The offspring takes on half and half from each parent. While the chances are extremely small for two identical twins to pass on the same genes, there still is a chance. Now if they were to pass it onto two other identical twins (male or female), well.... you can see how stupid this gets

These are all wild predictions though. In general, the more offspring with a distant partner, the greater the genetic diversity.

quote:
Originally posted by Nrg2Nfinit
I don't really see it that way. I believe inbreeding can also create diversity as recessive alleled can pair up to create phenotypes.

Yes, the undersirable types. Why do you think so many problems arise from inbreeding?

This doesn't result in genetic diversity, it practically kills it.

Old Post Oct-21-2012 07:17  Croatia
Click Here to See the Profile for Fledz Click here to Send Fledz a Private Message Add Fledz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Nrg2Nfinit
ItaloDiscoAddict

quote:
Originally posted by Fledz

Yes, the undersirable types. Why do you think so many problems arise from inbreeding?

This doesn't result in genetic diversity, it practically kills it.

Sure, but think of it this way, Once all undesirable traits are pronounced and the parents die, doesn't the recessive undesirable gene disappear from the genome?

I believe this is how selfing plants continue to exist today and have limited issues with homozygous recessive lethals (evidence is they are still around!)

http://mysite.science.uottawa.ca/rs...n%20et%20al.pdf

Also with regards to some insects, such as cockroaches, they have become susceptible to inbreeding but resiliant to its deletrious effects. For probably over 350 million years now.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/...the-inbreeding/

Think about a majority of animal species where there is 1 dominant male who mates for a few generations with other females and his offspring which contain his genes.

So right there you have a greater chance of homozygous recessive genes to be pronounced. This could prove to be a good thing as one of those homozygous recessive genes could translate into a phenotype which is beneficial to the environment. Had inbreeding not been a part of the equation, the trait may not show up for a longer time or ever if the species becomes extinct due to not adapting to the environment.

On the other hand, if there is a homozygous lethal, this is a great opportunity for it to be purged from the system as the continuous inbreeding with that lethal from both sides should purge 25% of the offspring.

So in regular breeding recessive traits homozygous lethals are carried on through generation upon generation.

Mutations (beneficial or detrimental) should be more gradual as recessives are less pronounced. There is also alot more genetic variability as the gene pool is very diverse.

Whereas with inbreeding you have the opposite. recessive lethals are more likely to be purged from the system with continuous inbreeding.

Dominant desirable traits become more pronounced in the system.

You get a quicker basket of phenotype variation as recessive alleles are more likely to pair up.

However It is important to know that with continued inbreeding you begin to lack genetic variation as some traits will be completely eliminated. This is where a single mutation can wipe out the entire species and why gene flow is important.

Old Post Oct-21-2012 15:11 
Click Here to See the Profile for Nrg2Nfinit Click here to Send Nrg2Nfinit a Private Message Add Nrg2Nfinit to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Fledz
Banned

Nope, it isn't like that at all. In particular because genetics isn't as simple as you think it is. It's not just a straight pair with another pair. Well, at least not in all cases. The alleles can differ.

Then there's also gene mutation as I've already said.

You need to brush up on your biology.

Old Post Oct-21-2012 21:51  Croatia
Click Here to See the Profile for Fledz Click here to Send Fledz a Private Message Add Fledz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

If you remain quiet enough, you can almost hear the furious wanking in this thread.

Old Post Oct-21-2012 22:02  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for srussell0018 Click here to Send srussell0018 a Private Message Add srussell0018 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Acton
Like a FCKNG BIRD

Some interesting responses that are certainly schooling me in genetics. I obviously overstated the inbreeding part, but we are still not very diversified as a species. I did some reading over the weekend and a leading theory is that due to a catastrophic event (likely a volcanic eruption from the likes of Yellowstone), the current stage of humanity arose from a population of circa 10,000.

Anyway, I saw this today...

... a picture of two colliding galaxies, something that will eventually happen to us and the Andromeda galaxy in roughly 4 billion years.

>>> Beatport Stuff <<<

Old Post Oct-22-2012 08:45  England
Click Here to See the Profile for Acton Click here to Send Acton a Private Message Visit Acton's homepage! Add Acton to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Nrg2Nfinit
ItaloDiscoAddict

If we are going to be talking about modern humans, cladistically speaking, the last clasification would be around 200 thousand years ago with the sub species homo sapiens sapiens.

So when you are talking about "stage" i'm not really sure what kind of measure you are using.

Technically speaking a species should be able to produce fertile offspring with any subgroups within it.

Old Post Oct-22-2012 09:57 
Acton
Like a FCKNG BIRD

quote:
Originally posted by Nrg2Nfinit
So when you are talking about "stage" i'm not really sure what kind of measure you are using.

I used 'stage' as an all encompassing term to describe the current state of the human race, population size, diversity etc.

>>> Beatport Stuff <<<

Old Post Oct-22-2012 10:06  England
Click Here to See the Profile for Acton Click here to Send Acton a Private Message Visit Acton's homepage! Add Acton to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

just wanted to apologize for earlier. I realize you were just highlighting an interesting question about genetic diversity. That your conclusions where not really conclusions but more rhetorical conclusions. So ya. my bad.

Old Post Oct-23-2012 21:25 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Moongoose
Supreme tranceaddict

In other cool science news...we have tractors beams now.

Link

Yeah, science is awesome!

Old Post Oct-24-2012 09:15  Slovenia
Click Here to See the Profile for Moongoose Click here to Send Moongoose a Private Message Add Moongoose to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Acton
Like a FCKNG BIRD

quote:
Originally posted by Moongoose
In other cool science news...we have tractors beams now.

Link

Yeah, science is awesome!

That's rather cool! Shame we're a few years away from dragging enemy spacecraft away from Federation territory.

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
just wanted to apologize for earlier. I realize you were just highlighting an interesting question about genetic diversity. That your conclusions where not really conclusions but more rhetorical conclusions. So ya. my bad.

Don't worry about it, I probably would of said something similar.

I've found a video that demonstrates something I posted a while ago, regarding what happens when you pour liquid nitrogen into a coke bottle....

The first one blew up in my face and the second one was thrown out of a 5th floor window, at a group of people having lunch outside.

>>> Beatport Stuff <<<

Old Post Oct-24-2012 09:53  England

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > The Awesome Science Thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (35): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPvD - Amsterdam 2003 Track 4 [2004] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTreesh - "Brighter Day" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread