Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > The Dark Knight Rises
Pages (30): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Quazar
Aren't you saying that for scenes shot on sound stages, a re-recording isn't necessary? And most of the film is shot on sound stages, right? I don't see why you're quoting me here.

I quoted as I'm calling out the bullshit:

quote:
It's not common to re-record most or all of the dialog in a studio. If a movie has to do that, it's considered a very bad sign for the crew that made it.

Calling the actors into a recording studio to re-record all of their dialogue in a film, sound stage scenes included, is unprofessional.

It is common place, it's not "unprofessional" and it's "not a very bad sign".

Granted, if you get no usable audio from a completely soundstaged film (incredibly rare) then yes, it might be considered bad form for the crew, but that's the very rare exception, whereas doing ADR has been commonplace on films for decades, and it won't change anytime soon.

So what you said is actually bullshit, which seems mostly gleaned (according to you) from a conversation you overhead one time you were in a studio.

Think about it -

Do you have any idea how man people are on set for even a small scene? Now think about all the equipment, that all has fans to keep them cool. On a soundstage, they may keep some or all of the dialogue for certain scenes, but even then they may still do ADR just to keep continuity with the other scenes.

I'm not going to go in to detail but I've actually worked on a few Nolan films, and I can tell you he records on location just as much as some scenes warrant a soundstage.

A lot of actors actually like the fact they get to re-record their scenes (some demand it), and the rest just know it's part of the deal.

Yes, it would be great if you could record everything as you go along filming but that's not the reality or the most common moethod of working.

Old Post Jul-22-2011 19:47 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Quazar
still likes trance

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN

Granted, if you get no usable audio from a completely soundstaged film (incredibly rare) then yes, it might be considered bad form for the crew, but that's the very rare exception, whereas doing ADR has been commonplace on films for decades, and it won't change anytime soon.

So what you said is actually bullshit, which seems mostly gleaned (according to you) from a conversation you overhead one time you were in a studio.

And from what I know about television, which is admittedly different from film because of time constraints.

I'm well-aware that looping occurs, but I thought it was only on maybe 10-15% of dialogue.

You obviously know more than me on this, I'm just immensely surprised. I figured with the quality of boom mics and the rigs used on sets to capture the dialogue, that the dialogue would actually be used.

So anyway, I apologize for making "Skyline" sound like a cut-rate production because they had to re-record all of the dialogue.

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
At least last time you Brits got pissed off, we got punk music out of it. This time, it'll probably just end up being embers breaks

Old Post Jul-22-2011 21:53  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Quazar Click here to Send Quazar a Private Message Add Quazar to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
And from what I know about television, which is admittedly different from film because of time constraints.

I'm well-aware that looping occurs, but I thought it was only on maybe 10-15% of dialogue.

You obviously know more than me on this, I'm just immensely surprised. I figured with the quality of boom mics and the rigs used on sets to capture the dialogue, that the dialogue would actually be used.

So anyway, I apologize for making "Skyline" sound like a cut-rate production because they had to re-record all of the dialogue.

In fairness, with TV you're right. I've worked on major weekly shows that do and do not use ADR. All the sitcoms don't really use it, but some of the thriller/dramas do at times. The lead times are way smaller (for one weekly show we mixed the score all night, deliver it in the morning at it goes live on air later that day) so that might be a reason why but also because the budgets are not as big, and they have smaller sets/soundstages to work on (often re-using the same set for whole seasons) so it's much easier to record decent dialogue with simple unobtrusive mic techniques.

Film is just a different scale altogether though.

Skyline was pretty crap though - I have no idea if the production was marred all the way through but I know the budgets were very tight on that one. I know the score composer for it - nice guy, certainly talented, but that was his first big film release.

Old Post Jul-23-2011 01:14 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Omar Little
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
In fairness, with TV you're right. I've worked on major weekly shows that do and do not use ADR. All the sitcoms don't really use it, but some of the thriller/dramas do at times. The lead times are way smaller (for one weekly show we mixed the score all night, deliver it in the morning at it goes live on air later that day) so that might be a reason why but also because the budgets are not as big, and they have smaller sets/soundstages to work on (often re-using the same set for whole seasons) so it's much easier to record decent dialogue with simple unobtrusive mic techniques.

Film is just a different scale altogether though.

Skyline was pretty crap though - I have no idea if the production was marred all the way through but I know the budgets were very tight on that one. I know the score composer for it - nice guy, certainly talented, but that was his first big film release.

quote:

quote:
I quoted as I'm calling out the bullshit:

Think about it -

Do you have any idea how man people are on set for even a small scene? Now think about all the equipment, that all has fans to keep them cool. On a soundstage, they may keep some or all of the dialogue for certain scenes, but even then they may still do ADR just to keep continuity with the other scenes.

I'm not going to go in to detail but I've actually worked on a few Nolan films, and I can tell you he records on location just as much as some scenes warrant a soundstage.

A lot of actors actually like the fact they get to re-record their scenes (some demand it), and the rest just know it's part of the deal.

Yes, it would be great if you could record everything as you go along filming but that's not the reality or the most common moethod of working.

quote:
Originally posted by srussell0018
Well it doesn't matter if that's just how things are done. Christian Bale is probably a prick about everything anyways.

quote:
Something tells me method actors (like Bale and Ledger) would not take kindly to having to act out the entire interrogation scene, for instance, only to have to go into a recording studio 4 months later and re-do the whole thing with only their voices.

quote:
Originally posted by srussell0018
No it's not. The audio of a movie is just as important as the visual aspect. Wanting the sound to be perfect in a controlled environment isn't unprofessional at all.

quote:
Aren't you saying that for scenes shot on sound stages, a re-recording isn't necessary? And most of the film is shot on sound stages, right? I don't see why you're quoting me here.

Calling the actors into a recording studio to re-record all of their dialogue in a film, sound stage scenes included, is unprofessional.

quote:
Fuck me, for the amount you guys talk about movies you know absolutely fuck all about production.

It's common for the majority and in many cases all of the dialogue to replaced via sound stage recording and mixed at the dub stage with the score and FX.

Only very low budget films have to rely on location recording and even
it's sometimes logistically impossible to get mics close enough to pickup dialogue without background noise (especially from crew) fucking it up.

If they just used recordings from location, why is foley used on every single film? Surely they can just use the sounds they recorded?

If anything, it's actually cheaper in the grand scheme of things to not have to worry about getting location dialogue recordings perfect and just do it all after the fact in a controlled environment (i.e. sound stage or studio).

I can tell you first hand that DR was done on all the films mentioned in this thread.

Source? I actually do this shit for a living (I'm a score engineer for hollywood composers).

quote:
Originally posted by ReclusNdangrmnt
I know it was a few pages back but the thing about re-recording dialogue (It's called ADR) is true and not true. With some movies, it has to be done for one reason or another (unavoidably loud locations, special effects machinery, etc), but it is preferable to capture the dialogue on set because the performance is almost always better. Shotgun microphones (The ones they put on the ends of booms) are excellent at isolation from off-axis noise, and with big-budget projects, they are probably working on a sound stage anyways.

In this case, I'm not sure Christian Bale, who is a Method actor, would want to go back and ADR everything, but who knows

Source: I'm trying to do this shit for a living.

Old Post Jul-23-2011 06:32  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Omar Little Click here to Send Omar Little a Private Message Add Omar Little to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LeopoldStotch
Suapremae tranecadictt

i have enjoyed christopher nolan's latest movies, but i have to say 'Memento' is still his best movie, and every movie since has gone downhill on the stylistic and cinematic side. however, he knows how to produce a big budget film, so i give him credit for it.

Old Post Jul-23-2011 08:25  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for LeopoldStotch Click here to Send LeopoldStotch a Private Message Visit LeopoldStotch's homepage! Add LeopoldStotch to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jupiterone
housin' guide

nnnnaaaaahhhh nawwwwwwww nnaaaawhhhnnnn nhyayyyyyyyy nawwwwww bbrbrzbrbzrbbrzbbrbzbzbzrzrzrzzrrrr.......wsssshhhhhhbbrnnnnnszhhhshh. wbbbbshhhhhhhh

Old Post Jul-23-2011 09:24  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for jupiterone Click here to Send jupiterone a Private Message Add jupiterone to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Blue Neptune
tranceaddict

new trailer

im glad this is a trilogy. this seems like the perfect way to end it.

Old Post May-01-2012 06:09  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Blue Neptune Click here to Send Blue Neptune a Private Message Visit Blue Neptune's homepage! Add Blue Neptune to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LAdazeNYnights
Crossing Swords

NOT WATCHING ANY OF THE TRAILERS

DON'T CARE BRO

BRING IT GOSPEEDGO!

I BRINGZ THE RUCKUS

TO THE LADIES

such as the one who is asleep in my bed
while i post on TA
and listen to house music

wut

i was drinking gin and tonic before
now i am drunk
and want to be alonneeee again

Old Post May-01-2012 08:35  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for LAdazeNYnights Click here to Send LAdazeNYnights a Private Message Add LAdazeNYnights to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
itsamemario
Divine Angel

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
Nolan usually tries too hard in his movies.

Old Post May-01-2012 15:08  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for itsamemario Click here to Send itsamemario a Private Message Visit itsamemario's homepage! Add itsamemario to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GoSpeedGo!
no more Mr. Nice Guy

It's funny how quickly Nolan becomes a controversial subject whenever he gets brought up, even on TA.

I think he's great, personally, and can't wait to see TDKR. The last trailer is interesting in that it doesn't tell us anything new about the plot. Compare that with the new Prometheus trailer which seems to give away lots of important information (though I think there'll stil be surprises). I guess TDK was so successful that now they don't have to tease people with another extensive promo campaign.

Old Post May-01-2012 17:55 
Click Here to See the Profile for GoSpeedGo! Click here to Send GoSpeedGo! a Private Message Add GoSpeedGo! to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
srussell0018
Chaostician

I see Christian Bale is still doing that absurdly awful voice.

Old Post May-01-2012 17:58  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for srussell0018 Click here to Send srussell0018 a Private Message Add srussell0018 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

That's an EQ thing. I mean he's raspy, but they ramped it up in post-production for Dark Knight. They realized it was too much and I bet they scale it down for this one. Still, they should have just had Batman create some voice altering device. If he can turn every cell phone in the city into a monitoring device, it shouldn't be that hard.

Old Post May-01-2012 18:37  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > The Dark Knight Rises
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (30): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackNeed Help ID This Tune [2010] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDallas Superstars - "Helium" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread