Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Euphoria's Interview Thread (Updates: Funkerman, Daniel Wanrooy, Redroche, Kyau & Albert)
Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
euphoria

Interview with JES

http://www.electronicnightlife.com/

JES recently released her sensational album Unleash The Beat, the follow up to her previous album High Glow and her music just gets better and better with each release.

What has been going on in your life recently?

JES: Everything has been going great. I've been keeping myself pretty busy and have started many new projects….as well as a new live show.

Your album Unleash The Beat (Ultra Music/Magik Muzik) was just released. Which tracks will be among the first few singles to be released?

JES: There will be two singles from it or maybe three. "Can’t Stop” will lead it off and I'm still deciding which other ones. "The Light In Things" with BT is out and also "Show Me The Way," with Allure, but it’s a different version on UTB.

How does Unleash The Beat compare to your previous album High Glow?

JES: UNLEASH THE BEAT is my first mix CD in a series combining some of my well-known tracks with unreleased tracks and new songs. It’s purely a dance CD. My artist albums tend to be more varied and diverse and very much song based first. I do many different types of songs and tempos, but this CD I mixed as if DJing in a club and the songs definitely all started with the beat. I had such a fun time putting this album together! It was hard, too, because I would have included so many other songs on it.

I understand that the album contains previously unreleased productions. Is there any reason that these tracks were held back?

JES: Well there are songs that I didn’t have a release date set yet and I just held on for the right vehicle and the time for them. Some were bootlegs… some didn’t make it on HIGH GLOW and some I purely just decided to make for this record.

How soon after High Glow did you start planning the release of Unleash The Beat?

JES: I wanted to do another album, but I was still promoting singles from HIGH GLOW, so I thought why not make a mix CD. I had wanted to do it for a while and had been talking with my label about it, so it was in the pipeline. It just seemed that now was the right time! When I started to put it together it was supposed to be just tracks that had been out, but that wasn’t an easy plan for me to stick to. I wanted to write new material for it, and then it took on another life. I wanted to include tracks that were popular and then go into the now a bit. I love all my old songs, but any artist wants to move on, too. I liked the concept of this and the more I worked on it, the more into the mixing I got. I do all my podcasts and have done many guest mix shows, so I thought, might as well start making some mix albums too!

I must say the track “Fascination” has an absolutely filthy bass line! I must know the name of this sound, can you tell me?

JES: I love it too. It’s filthy bass a la Silcox!

Unleash The Beat features collaborations with a number of other artists. Some of the artist range from quite well known talent to artists that are somewhat new in the scene. Can you tell us more about the newcomers and how you discovered them?

JES: Well, Richard Robson from the UK has been one of my collaborators for a while and he should be known, because he really is so good. We have a great way of working together and have been able to collaborate for a couple of years now. He is very talented and we work on many different styles of music together and try different things. I really like that he gets where I'm coming from. I also worked with David Silcox, who is also from the UK. I got a thing for those Brits! I heard a mix of his on a radio show and found him. He did a mix for "My Love" and then I had him do "Fascination," and he did a hot mix. It’s very different from some of the other songs on UNLEASH THE BEAT, and so it was perfect to create a different mood. Ronski Speed is well known and one of the sweetest guys. He also has respect for the process of working together and I really appreciate that. I loved his “Awaken” remix and I got so many emails about it. I like how he kept the edge of that song, so from that, we started another track, “Can’t Stop,” which is quite different but really catchy and energetic. Andy Duguid also did a great track for "Before You Go." He put a spin on it for me and yet another flavor. We are on the same label and have wanted to collaborate on a song together for a while.

Can you share some experiences from your recent tour?

JES: So many experiences… and so many notes to self! It’s funny. Every time I do a show, I've got something else I must do for the next one. It’s ever-changing and evolving. It’s very crazy in our EDM world. You can perform in huge venues, then smaller ones, and then arenas. There are many different rooms night to night. No matter how hard it can be, I won’t complain. I still pinch myself sometimes. I’m just grateful to be doing it and not something I don't want to do. I was in Ireland and I forgot what a fun and tough crowd they are. I don’t think I have ever gotten my ass slapped so many times in a show. I was on a huge stage and they still managed to get me. It was meant as an endearing thing, but I was rosy red at the end. [laughs] I just came from Denver, where the show was incredible. I’m always adding so many new songs into my set, and I did "Can’t Stop." They couldn't stop singing it! The last show I did was my rock show. It was great. I performed with my Rocktronica band and we had girls being lifted off the stage. It was very rowdy, just the way I like it! I was in Mexico and the Middle East, all very different places and very different shows from each other, but somehow you add in the music and so many of the experiences become one. I think that’s pretty amazing.

Many artists claim to have a special place they go to for inspiration besides the obvious choice; the studio. Is there such a place for you?

JES: I think that I kind of stay in some sort of creative place most of the time. I walk around thinking too much and something always makes me think of something else and I have to write it down or sing it into my phone. I get some interesting things in my sleep too while dreaming! Sometimes, I get full productions and crazy things in my dreams and I always keep my recorder near my head, because I remember them for only a brief moment or two then they disappear. I’ve gotten some good ideas from that. One of the best places though is at a concert, going to hear music. I love watching other artists. I come home with so many new ideas, even just driving and listening to the radio. I get to the studio and have got many new things I want to do. But…I do have my little writing booth in my bedroom with my Wurlitzer in it. I can lock myself in and sing all night if I want to.

Your album sounds amazing, I am very impressed! Is there anything else that you would like to share with our readers?

JES: Thank you so much! I’d like to say that we also have a remix contest that started on June 20th. I wanted to include “Unleash The Beat” on the record and decided that I wanted some help. So, if you go to www.unleashthebeat.com you still have a few more moments to sign up and get the stems. The winner of the remix contest will have a release with me and some cool prizes. Also, please check me out and keep up to date with me at www.planetjes.com, on twitter @official_jes, and Facebook at www.facebook.com/jespage.

- Interview by Zaneta Ortiz

Old Post Jul-27-2011 13:43  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
chimera66
PARTOUZE

great interviews Z

I once saw Swamper peel off 4 or 5 $100 bills from a fat roll and say this to Donald Trump: "Go clean yourself up; you look like a bum.". And then he threw the bills right in Trump's face/hair! Then Swamper and his entourage of 30, who were all wearing TA monogramed Rolexes, left the room and flew to Hawaii for a few hours because Del wanted fresh coconut.

To his defense, Trump didn't even really look like a bum.

Old Post Jul-28-2011 04:07 
Click Here to See the Profile for chimera66 Click here to Send chimera66 a Private Message Add chimera66 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

quote:
Originally posted by chimera66
great interviews Z

Thanks

Comments are always appreciated, more interviews on the way very soon!

Old Post Jul-29-2011 13:16  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

Interview with Fedde Le Grand

Electronic Night Life is very impressed about Fedde Le Grands initiative to go Green, so much in fact... that we decided to interview him about it. Check out what Fedde has to say about ways that we all can reduce our carbon footprints.

What’s new in the life of Fedde Le Grand?

Everything’s pretty hectic right now, I’m just coming to the end of my Summer Takeover Tour which has been the busiest time for me DJing that I think I’ve ever done. I’m also enjoying a lot of success with my So Much Love single, it’s at the top of the Beatport charts which of course has made me really happy

Why did you recently take an interest in going green?

I had to hire a private jet for the summer because I had so many dates and it just worked out cheaper and more convenient to bypass all the airport traffic to make sure I got to all my gigs. But because it was just me on a plane, I wanted to check out my carbon footprint and when I did, I was like, WOW! It was pretty big. Everyone has to take responsibility including me so I checked out how I could offset it and decided to plant over 300 trees to make sure that I cancelled out all the emissions that the jet put into the atmosphere.

What does going green mean to you?

I think going green for me is the same as it is for most people – it’s the little things that each of us do that all add up into the bigger picture to protect the planet. It’s the only one that we’ve got and we’ve got to look after it for our kids, and our kids’ kids. If we don’t start making small steps as individuals, we’re going to really mess things up and we’ll get to a point when it’s too late. And that really isn’t worth thinking about, so we’ve each got to do our bit.

What steps are you taking to reduce your carbon footprint?

I’m now checking how much travel I do and making sure that I offset that with things like the planting of trees. We’ve also made sure that our lights in the office and studio are LED lights and eco-friendly bulbs that use a lot less electricity and they last longer too. And we separate the trash into recycling and also make sure all the lights and computers are turned off when we leave the building – we’ve actually been doing that for a lot of years. There’s a lot more you can do in all the parts of your life but you have to start somewhere, and it’s always worth starting somewhere so that you’re doing something. One little thing makes all the difference J

What part of going green do find hardest to overcome in daily life?

It’s definitely the travel. I think I travel a lot more than most people so I need to make sure that I put extra effort in there. But it’s a bit of a pain trying to calculate how many miles you’ve done, whether it’s in a car, or a plane, or on a train. Luckily there are some great websites out there that help you figure it all out so it’s not so much hard work. I used [[ LINK REMOVED ]]

How do you think we can encourage others to follow suit in your endeavor?

I think by talking about it in interviews like this, and letting people know what actions I’m taking myself, I can raise awareness and make people realise that it’s not that hard to do your own bit for the environment. It really isn’t, there are so many ways now that you can help, from your own recycling at home to growing your own vegetables, to offsetting your travel – it’s all at your fingertips and there really isn’t any excuse, it’s just really easy.

Which of your upcoming events are you most excited to perform at?

I’ve got a six day tour of the States and Canada coming at the end of this month that I’m really excited about. It’ll be insane because I’m doing six cities in six nights so I won’t have time to stop and think, but it’s been a while since I’ve been there so I’m looking forward to hooking up with people again and showcasing some of my new material.

What is the one city that you have the most fun in, whether you are performing or just traveling for leisure?

My favourite city to play in is definitely Sofia in Bulgaria. I normally play at Yalta and it’s hands down the best club for me. It isn’t one of the biggest but it’s definitely the best because they always let me play for as long as I want, as long as the dance floor wants me. I get to do six hour sets, sometimes even longer and the whole crowd gets into the groove with me. It’s a fantastic club, great city and amazing people, the Bulgarians totally know how to party with class.

Which top three tracks are in heavy rotation in your personal playlist?

1. So Much Love – Fedde le Grand (original club mix)
2. I Believe In Love ft. Jimmy Somerville – Joris Voorn remix
3. Waking up – Sinisa Tamamovic (original mix)

Your latest track “So Much Love” has been released on Toolroom Records. What were you thinking about when you came up with the title?

Well the title is obviously in reference to the Thomas Bangaltar and DJ Falcon version of the track, called I’ve Got So Much Love (To Give). But the original tune is a 70s funk track that I had on an old album when I was 13. I just loved it, it’s an awesome tune and I’ve always wanted to do something with it, they just got there first

Did you work with a vocalist for the vocals or was this a sample you used? If it was a sample, what was the original track that the vocal was sampled from?

Like I said, the original vocal is a sample, it’s by a band called The Real Thing and the tune is called Love Is Such A Wonderful Thing. Check it out if you want a slice of proper funk music.

Are you working on any other projects that you would like to tell us about?

I’ve got some tracks bubbling away in the studio but nothing that I can say about at the moment, you’ll just have to wait

Do you have any comments for our readers?

Keep it real, do it because you love it, and if you love what I do, then don’t forget to vote in the DJ Mag Top 100 – www.djmag.com/top100 J Peace, Fedde.

http://www.feddelegrand.com
http://www.toolroomrecords.com
http://www.facebook.com/feddelegrand
http://www.facebook.com/toolroomrecords
http://www.twitter.com/djfeddelegrand
http://www.myspace.com/djfeddelegrand
http://www.youtube.com/feddelegrand

Old Post Sep-16-2011 16:44  United States
euphoria

Interview with Robin S.

House music would not be what it is today without Robin S. It is truly a pleasure to interview someone with such a deep rooted history in the house scene. We are happy to announce Robin is coming back with a new album after a bit of a hiatus so let’s show her some love and check out what she has to say…

Hello Robin! How are you doing today?

I am truly blessed, and most appreciative to have been given yet another chance to be heard. I feel loved by all!

What is your approach to keeping your sound fresh in 2011?

I listen to everything that’s going on around me. I like trying new things, although it is sometimes a challenge in getting others to trust my views. I don’t give up, presistence is my key!

How does your pre-performance preparation differ from your studio preparation?

Now that is an interesting question. I love the live thing, I thrive of the vibes of the crowd so the only thing I do before a show is spend some quiet time in my mind and pray that the messages are heard. When I am in the studio, the room has to be hot (temperature wise), lights dimmed and my zone is nothing but music.

What are ten things you couldn’t live without in your dressing room?

Heat, towels, water, my brand of chewing gum, my cough drops, bathroom (lol), fruit, veggies, and my flat shoes (after the show). Ok I am missing one, hummm that is it!

How long does it take for you to get ready before a big show?

About 4 hours, I have to go to my quiet place, my zone, just me and God.

Who are the major players in the Robin S. team?

Oh you mean team Robin S.? Well now that is easy, that would be Troy Bronstein (my manager), Janice Montgomery (my right hand, my assistant), the three major dj’s in my life who are like my brothers, Todd Terry, Corey Gibbons, and Gods DJ Pat Allen., a young upcoming rapper CtK, Selekted and Kawa, my street team, and my family.

Which techniques would you personally use to liven up a tough crowd?

Sorry, I have no specific techniques darling. Being me is the best person I can be. Being the best of who I am is what’s important to me. Giving everyone (easy and/or tough) a piece of me everytime, is what I strive to do every show.

Is “Show Me Love” still your most requested track to this day?

But of course it is!

So how you ever found the “one” to show you the love you were looking for?

I am proud to say yes, yes. I waited and God sent me who he wanted me to be with.

I am a fellow Queens native. In what ways, if any do you think being from Queens has impacted your success?

Freedom to be whoever and whatever I wanted to become! Growing up for me was wonderful. I have always sang, it’s been a part of me since I was five (that is how far back I can remember) things were different then. Kids where allowed to be kids and allowed to express natural talents and be showcased throughout the neighborhood. I had a fan club at 5 years of age.

Are you still currently residing in New York?

No, I currently reside in Atlanta, GA.

I hear you are working on a new album. Can you tell us any more about it?

I have taken time to do this one, because I wanted all of the songs to be messgaes, very important life messages. Now everyone is not going to like all the songs on the album, (because the message may not be for them, so they can’t relate) I am ok with that. I know within my heart that these songs will be a healing for someone, somewhere and that alone makes me smile!

Have you decided on a name for the album yet?

Oh man, I have come up with so many titles (lol), but I do have a favorite. That would be a yes to this question.

Do you have your own studio or are you recording elsewhere?

I do own my onw studio, for the most part, I do the work here. Occassionally, I will go somewhere else, just for a change of scenery.

How did you team up with Corey Gibbons for the new single “Shake It”?

I had a gig and was introduced to him during my soundcheck. You know when the vibes are correct. I have been through my own personal/professional drama with DJ’s, so now I watch everything and hear everything! The vibe was on point with Corey, he is a sweetheart!

Who else will you be collaborating with for the upcoming album?

With Roland Clark, CtK (again), and a few of my other artist that I am presently working with.

What advice would you give to an aspiring vocalist?

Study the business so that you can become the business. (After all this is your choice of a career.) Never give up (that is not an option)! Don’t become a diva before you just reward. Give yourself time to earn that true diva status in a positive way.

We look forward to hearing the album and we thank you so much for your time. Do you have any other comments that you would like to share with out readers?

No comments, just a simple thank you for loving me the way you do. I take nothing for granted! Blessings!

Old Post Oct-17-2011 14:22  United States
euphoria

Interview with W & W

W&W aka Wardt van der Harst and Willem van Hanegem just released their first artist album entitled Impact on September 23rd, 2011.

The album includes 30 original tracks by the duo themselves and amoungst the releases are colaborations with Wezz Devall, Mark Sixma, Leon Bolier, Ben Gold, Jonas Stenberg and Ummet Ozcan. Featuring vocals of Ana Criado, Bree and Emily. If you haven't checked out the album I recommend you put it on your list, in the meantime lets chat with Wardy and Willem.....here is a interview with the talented duo.

How did you two first meet?

We met at Trance Energy in 2007. Before that we only knew each other through a common friend. We start hanging out after and made our first track half a year later which became the first W&W track.

When you both first teamed up, did you instantly know that the duo would work well or did you have to ease into it?

The first time we were in the studio together we noticed that we cooperated very well, we supplement each other at the aspects we're not so good at so that was a good sign. Back then we didn't know that we would come so far as we came till now.

Wardt, do you think you will ever spin solo and produce again as Re-Ward or are you only focused on the W&W project at the moment?

No I don't think so for multiple reasons. I think with Willem as a team we're way better and more productive than solo, it's more fun in the studio and traveling together is also a lot easier than constantly being on your own.

….And the same question as above for Willem in regards to Dirty Dot?

I used to produce a lot of different stuff under different names but now the main focus is only W&W.

You guys are always having such a great time behind the decks and feeding off of each other’s energy as well as the crowd. Have you ever had a gig where you just weren’t in a good mood and had to go perform anyway? What would you do in that situation?

Sometimes when we're really jetlagged, haven't really slept for a few days and we're at the hotel waiting for our pickup to the venue, you would rather be in bed sleeping. But when you arrive at the venue and go on stage and see all those people screaming and dancing you get like a kick start of energy, no matter how bad you felt before.

Why do you personally think it’s important to interact with your fans?

Your fans make you to what you are, that's why you should never turn your back to them. We also like to know what they think about our new music, that's why we often post our new stuff on our social media and ask the people for their opinions.

Do you ever disagree in taste on music?

Yes sometimes we have a different taste but in the end we share the same vision so we always find our way through the disagreements.

What are the most dominant personality traits that you see in each other?

Ward: Willem has a really strong personality and vision about music, he knows what he wants and he'll do anything to get there.

Willem: Ward isn't really a dominant person, he's really easy to work with but sometimes he can be really stubborn.

What is your favorite piece or hardware of software at the moment?

Our favorite software would probably be the Sylenth1 by Lennar Digital, we use that synth in every track we make. The Virus TI is definitely our favorite hardware, it has a really fat sound and especially combined with the Sylenth1 you can get really big riffs.

What are your opinions about this genre people are calling “Trouse”?

Nowadays you can see that all genres grow closer to each other, which we think is great cause it combines the best out of all kinds of music. What we like about ''trouse'' is that it puts together the melodies of trance with the grooves from house, a really interesting combination which works great on the dance floors.

What are some of your future goals as artists?

Of course everybody has the dream to get as far as possible. But the most important thing for us is that we get our music heard by as much people as possible since we really believe in what we're doing.

Are you working on any other projects that you would like to share with us?

Well of course our debut album just hit the stores; we've been working on it for a year and a half so it's very exciting to see all the reactions coming in. We're already busy on new stuff to be released after the album and that sounds quite promising so far.

Do you have any other comments for our readers?

Thanks for reading this interview and hope to see you all somewhere around the world!

Old Post Oct-17-2011 14:25  United States
euphoria

Interview with Betsie Larkin

New York based vocalist Betsie Larkin has just released her debut album entitled "All We Have is Now" with colabs with and abundance of spectacular producers including John O'Callaghan, Super8 & Tab, Rafaël Frost, Solarstone, Guiseppe Ottaviani, Sied van Riel, Bjorn Akesson, Bobina, and of course Ferry Corsten. Betsie has so many interesting comments to share with us.

Do you remember the turn point in your life when you decided that you wanted to be a vocalist?

I think I always secretly wanted to sing professionally. I've been singing since I was very young, but found it difficult to believe that I could count on it as a career. I've been very lucky to have people that believed in me at different stages of the game, and have with a mix of intention and accident stumbled to where I am now.

How many songs have you written since you began writing (whether they were released or not)?

I have no idea. I go through stages where I write several ideas in one day, and sometimes I have dry spells that last a month or more. I know I have 65 ideas on my tape-recorder right now and about ten more living on my iPhone. You have to be ready to catch an idea when it floats by - I've written some of my best material while driving, at live concerts, and walking around NY. I just pull out my phone and pretend like I'm talking to someone... but, I'm actually singing into my recorder app

Describe an average day in the life of Betsie Larkin…

If I'm just at home in NY (which is probably what you're asking), I wake up, go for a little walk to Starbucks for my caffeine infusion and then I head back and start going through emails. I spend about 2 hours in the morning doing this. My voice isn't really good until after noon, so it works out. Then I usually have a list of songs that I need to work on. Maybe I'll write a bridge for a song that's almost finished or record a demo of a strong idea that I'm working on. Right now I'm learning to work in Ableton, so that's added a solid time commitment, but it's exciting to think about creating higher-quality tracks from my home studio. I often work pretty late, but try to mix in going out to dinner, taking a yoga class, or doing something social.

Do you play any instruments? If so, which ones?

I'm better at the guitar, but really like writing on the keyboard. I feel like I'm able to find stronger vocal melodies on the piano, but the guitar can be great for inspiring rock ideas. I'm glad that I can manage on both instruments.

Which producers have been the most fun to work with?

I really like working in person and, for EDM, have only been able to work in person with Ferry Corsten and John O'Callaghan. I get along really well with both of them and completely admire their musical ability. The others have been really incredible too though - I wake up and there's an mp3 in my inbox with some amazing development on a song we've started. I don't get to watch or pipe in as much, but some of these guys come up with ideas that I would never think of. That's a big part of the fun.

Before you started working with Ferry Corsten, were you involved in any other productions?

Oh yes I was in a band for years. We were in college in Boston and moved to Los Angeles together. I had more than one studio project in various genres and also did a solo alternative rock EP just before I met Ferry. He was interested in working with me after hearing that.

Have you ever dabbled in production yourself or had a desire to try?

I've been producing my own demos for about five years. As I mentioned before, I've made it a goal to get really proficient at Ableton. I've always worked in Garageband in the past, and it's just so limited. It would be cool to produce a couple of tracks for my next album and also just be more active on the production side of my collaborations.

How much input did you have on the production side of things for the album?

I created demos for each song and the producers usually re-worked the music completely. I've been writing with a more rock approach for years and just recently started learning how to produce and create the structure for dance tracks. I really have to give the producers credit for the instrumental portion of the songs in the end product.

Your new album is entitled “All We Have Is Now”. Can you explain what that means to you?

It's just a reminder to appreciate life while it's happening and not get too hung up on tomorrow, next week, or next year. It's a simple message, but when you really embrace the meaning, it brings a certain ease to life.. honoring the process over the end result.

What will be the next single to be released from the album?

The first track from the album - "The Dream" with John O'Callaghan

Do you still get butterflies in your stomach when you perform live?

Yes, right before I go on stage I get a little nervous, but it's usually quickly replaced with the thrill of what I'm doing. Trance audiences are the absolute best - It's hard to feel self-conscious when there's love coming from the audience. I get pulled into that

Do you enjoy living in New York? What are some of your favorite things about it?

New York has a lot of upsides - I live fairly close to Central park and am able to bicycle there regularly... there's something dreamy about the old trees, stone structures, carousels, and the smell of living plant-life (hard to find elsewhere in NY). I also appreciate the access that we have to amazing restaurants, live music, good shopping, etc. I think this city also has some of the hardest working people you will ever meet. I have a great team of musical people that I work with, and I always feel like their giving me their absolute best. That's really nice.

Which borough are you from if you don’t mind us asking?

I live in the Upper West side of Manhattan. It's a bit quieter than other parts of the city and has amazing food

What would be your ultimate dream job?

I'm doing it!

What are some of your long-term goals in the music industry?

I'd like to produce several more albums in the EDM genre. I'm also working on a project of what you could most closely describe as dance-rock. I really love what we're doing, and would like for that to see the light of day. Producing full tracks on my own is up there also.

What advice would you give to an aspiring vocalist?

Work with people who are focused and talented. You can learn a lot from others. Do things right - try to make everything you put you name on very high-quality. Get a voice teacher to address anything that needs strengthening. I've had a few sessions with some great ones - Jeannie Deva, Mark Baxter, and Gordan Grody. No matter how good you are, these people can help you improve. Creatively - be honest and carry a tape recorder everywhere.

Are you involved in any other projects you would like to tell us about?

I mentioned my dance-rock band above. It's not finished yet, so I won't go into too much detail. The producer is an indie-rock guy out of South Africa. He's one of my favorite rock producers. I also have an album project in the works with an amazing EDM producer. I can't go into detail on that one just yet... sorry!

Do you have any other comments for our readers?

Thank you so much for supporting me! After the album came out, so many people wrote me on Facebook and Twitter saying that they had bought it. I had no idea what the response would be, so it was incredible to see that people value what I do enough to go out and spend their hard-earned money on the CD. I really hope you enjoy it because we made it for you! Lots of love, Betsie

Thanks for your time!

Old Post Oct-17-2011 14:28  United States
euphoria

Interview with Activa

We could write a fancy introduction here, but instead let's get right "To The Point" with out latest interview with Activa who has recently dropped an album by the very same name. Don't forget to enter our contest for a copy of Activa's latest album "To The Point" in our contest section!! http://www.electronicnightlife.com/Contests.html

Why did you decide to name your new album “To The Point”?

The name came from the initial ideas of what I wanted to do with the album; single CD, full tracks with nothing that wasn’t on there for a purpose. I wanted to keep it literally as ‘to the point’ as possible.

How similar or different is “To The Point” to your last album “This World”?

To The Point, I think, is massively different to This World. This World was a mammoth 2 CD, 27 track album that had a broader range of music on, with more chill out and slightly proggier trance material. I think This World was a bigger milestone to get over and I thought that I needed to prove a point a bit more in terms of what material I could make and put under the Activa name. I think with To The Point, there was nothing to really prove, more an opportunity to create an album that had music, which I really wanted to make. Tracks like My Way Out, which unfortunately, due to the current climate and style of music, most likely wouldn’t work as a single.

Can you give aspiring producers any tips or suggestions to creating nice thick bass lines and thumping kicks such as yours?

I actually did a video on creating basslines and how layering different sounds together creates a bigger and more expensive sound. As in the video, I think layering sounds is absolutely key, but not just layering one sound over another, actually mixing and eqing it properly which really only comes with practice.

What are some of the things in the scene that you are currently concerned about the most?

Oooo, a controversial question!! The thing that concerns me the most is the move of what I would see as more hip-hop and rap style pop artists like Usher, Rhianna and Timberland having tracks in the charts with dance tracks. Fair enough they’re cheesy dance tracks but I think that it’s not a good thing. The integrity of the music isn’t there. Some people say that it brings more people into the EDM scene and makes it easier for them to find people in the more underground areas, which I really don’t agree with. I think people like deadmau5, and Eric Prydz are doing a much better job of bringing people into the EDM scene while still keeping the integrity and quality within they’re music.

What changes or improvements do you feel can benefit the EDM community?

In all honesty I think that the scene will do whatever its going to do now and is so over saturated with every kind of music that it cant really be steered by any ‘pioneers’ any more. Meaning that even the leaders of the genres I don’t think will really be able to change the scene to benefit the scene. Everyone has differing opinions too, which makes ‘benefits’ to the scene only really a part of what people think. I know what I would like to see, but that’s not necessarily what anyone else would want. I think the scene could benefit a bit more from those who are a position to, trying to keep the scene supported from the grass roots rather than trying to control everything and dictating what goes on.

What do you feel about all of these new remixes of old classic tracks that have been surfacing?

It depends really. Some remixes have been done quite well, (in my opinion of course) but there is a certain album, which I wasn’t in agreement with at all. I felt it was just diluting the great songs that were on there to try and squeeze what little income was there and used to push the person doing the album. They sounded ok quality wise but I really don’t think they brought anything extra and really did seem like they were just pointless. Some remixes stay very true to the original and are more to be able to play the track and have it sound right against modern productions. Some tracks do sound really dated now!

When you work as an engineer for other artists, what does that entail and how involved do you get with the productions?

Again, it depends on the circumstances but usually I just work as a translator for people who have ideas and can write music and produce a basic, but lack the knowledge to give that really polished and expensive sound that new productions have. Sometimes I work on completely finished tracks that literally just need mixing down and mastering and other times I work alongside people who can write music and have ideas for all parts of the track but need help actually laying down the track and help with production and creating the sounds. Its funny that engineers and those using engineers have a bit of a bad name as they are paying for ‘help’ in effect, but its nothing new. Just look up the name Johnny Klimek.

I know your album just came out but have you begun working on any new tracks already or are you taking a break for a bit?

I am always working on music. I literally cannot stop. I have been working on other material even while I was working on To The Point, some of it ideas for possible album tracks that either didn’t come to anything or weren’t finished in time. I also work on remixes and reworks too. I have just done a remix for a new JK Walker track and there is a rework of a Nexus 3 track coming up on Discover.

What are some of the reasons why you chose the Simon Williams Remix of Telic as the competition winner?

I had quite simple ‘rules’ that I gave myself to follow which was catchiness and quality. Simon’s remix was the best quality remix that came through. It was catchy, well made and when it kicked in after the break, its impact was massive. It was a high quality remix and I think he was a thoroughly deserved winner.

It’s been a little over a year since you launched your Borderline label. How are things going with it?

Borderline is going really well. I have been really picky about the music I have been signing and because I am an artist too, I can relate well with everyone I am working with. I have explained how things are regarding new, small labels compared to bigger labels like Spinnin’ and the artists that have been on Borderline have worked with the bigger labels too and fully understand the issues I have to deal with. There are always hurdles to get over, mainly to do with promotion of the music and getting the labels name and ideas out there while trying to be slightly different. I have had a massive amount of feedback from people all saying that they love the material and its keeping the more traditional, quality sound going which is hard when everything is slowing and going a more housey route.

Do you plan on coming back to New York to perform or visit anytime soon?

I would absolutely love to get back to New York. I love the US in general and I have a soft spot for New York in particular, my visits to the city have been awesome and I have always had a really, really good time. Unfortunately there isn’t anything solid at the moment for me coming back, but there have been possibilities cropping up recently. I have found that the global economy has slowed a lot of things and with flights over the pond being quite expensive, its effected quite a lot. I would jump at the chance at coming back though.

Will you be touring to promote your new album? If so, what are some cities you hope to pay a visit to?

I have dates around the UK, which is my home base and where I have the biggest following (obviously) but there are dates in Sweden, Poland and other possibilities as far out as South America in the pipeline.

Are you working on any other projects that you would like to tell us about?

I always have projects that I’m working on and currently I am working on some more progressive/psy based trance music. Liquid Soul / Ace Ventura style. I think that style of trance is really doing more for me at the moment than slower, housier music is. I am working on this with a friend of mine called John Dopping who has been making a good name for himself recently and has remixed Side by Side, a recent release on Borderline. Fingers crossed it will see the light of day at some point, although we have no real plans just at the moment.

Do you have any comments for our readers?

I hope you like the album and the interview; hopefully this gives a little insight into the ideas behind the album and my work in general!

Thank you for your time!

Thanks for the interview!

Old Post Oct-17-2011 14:37  United States
euphoria

Interview with Orkidea

Finland based DJ Orkidea is about to drop his latest album entitled 20 to celebrate 20 years of DJing. The album will be released on November 11th and it contains some of his recent productions as well as 2011 versions of some of his all time classics including Unity which was originally released in 1999. Electronic Night Life has been a major supporter of Orkideas work for quite some time so we decided to have an in depth interview with him to discuss the new album.

20 years of DJing is a mighty long time, what are some of the most important thing you have learned about music or the industry in all that time?

Wow! What a big opening question I’ve learned that in order to succeed (and feel good about it) you need to be passionate, trust worthy, open-minded, work hard and stay true to your own values and vision of the art you are creating. For most people (including myself) the success comes with help from some other talented people and it’s important to be respectful and thankful to all those individuals. And it may take a while that things take off so having patience and confidence helps too.

What inspired you to produce 2011 versions of some of your classics for your new album “20”?

The album has a certain retrospective element in it as it’s celebrating my 20 years of DJing. There will also be a big 30 date album release tour where I’ll be playing mainly my own music. I wanted to make fresh versions so that I can play more current versions of the most requested tracks. I worked for two years on the new version of ‘Unity’ so I don’t take revisiting classics lightly.

If you were to critique yourself, in what ways has your sound developed in the last decade?

Production wise the tracks have become fatter, wider, deeper and more polished. I think my sound has also become more confident and more edgy yet retaining the emotional and soft side of them. I hope that my music has the old school hypnotic vibe of trance, yet done with the most cutting edge production technology and sound.

Of all your productions, which track do you feel has been the most prolific to date?

It’s quite hard to pick up just one so I’ll say three. My debut single Unity (from 1999) was played by a wide range of DJs from Sasha & John Digweed to Pete Tong and Paul Oakenfold. That definitely opened lot of doors. Out of my many collaborations ‘YearZero’ together with Andy Moor has been the most popular while my version of Way Out West’s ‘Killa’ is the most prolific remix I’ve done.

Is it difficult to balance keeping your sound underground while still remaining successful in the process?

My philosophy is not to think too much of “how to make a successful track”. I follow my composer’s instinct and always have the dance floor in mind and trust that intuition will guide me to right direction. I am in a lucky position that I get income from my sound design work so that I am not financially dependent on my music production. That enables me to be even more true to my own vision and not trying too much to be “commercial”.

You latest album “20” will be releases on Solaris Recordings, how do you like working with that label?

With Rich Solarstone we share lot of same ground with our thinking about trance and DJing and also have long history in the scene so that helps a lot. The couple collaborations we’ve made have been super nice experiences too! MRC (under which Solaris operates) seems also like a bunch of very nice people who have nice attitude with doing things. So enjoying the experience very much!

I understand that you were organizing and promoting your own events in Helsinki for quite a while. Can you share some of your experience with that and let us know if you are still involved with it?

I’ve been doing events since 1992. I started with illegal underground parties and had couple afterhours clubs in 1992-1995. We’ve run Club Unity since 1996 and together with those people we’ve done Renaissance events in Helsinki, organized parties in ice skating rings, parks, boats and even did One Minute Raves – one of the first flash mobs in Finland. During the years I’ve had artists like Eric Prydz, Paul Oakenfold, Sasha, Pete Tong, Sven Väth, Aeroplane, Nick Warren, and Jose Padilla playing at my events. So musically I’ve always tried to be as open-minded as possible.

Tell us about how some of your amazing tracks are created. What does your studio set up look like?

My studio is built very much around eight core Mac Pro with 36 GB of RAM. I work mainly inside the box so 99% of sounds are software created. I used to have lots of hardware but nowadays software sounds so good and is so easy that I’ve dropped all hardware. On software side Logic Pro is my sequencer and Arturia, KORG, IK Multimedia, Native Instruments, and effects are my main tools.

What do you think was the best year for Trance music?

There has been two years which in my honest opinion have been outstanding. 1993 was best year for the early (mainly German) trance from labels like Eye Q, Harthouse, Superstition and MFS with artists like Jam & Spoon, Cosmic Baby, Paul van Dyk and Oliver Lieb creating the foundation of trance music. 1999 was amazing with the Dutch revolution taking place in the more uplifting end of the spectrum and Sasha, Digweed, Warren, Seaman, Etc. playing and creating very trancey sound in the more progressive end, but there has always been amazing music out there.

Can you tell us more about the work you do at Nokia?

I manage the global sound design team of Nokia. We are responsible for all sounds in all Nokia devices which means filling every day over one million devices with sounds and music. This means ringtones, notification sounds, OS/UI sounds and preloaded music tracks.

Many DJ’s have dropped the DJ prefix to their names over the years. Do you still like to be known as DJ Orkidea, or just Orkidea?

The new album is by “Orkidea” without the DJ so I guess it’s phasing out. I’m so old school that I haven’t had a problem with keeping the “DJ” prefix there.

How are things going with Unity Records?

Unity Records hasn’t been active as I found it difficult to find the time needed to support the releases as well as they deserve. We had some amazing releases with Slusnik Luna’s ‘Sun’ being the most successful one. It was licensed to bigger label in UK and ended up making the UK singles chart Top 40.

Are you working on any other projects that you would like to share with us?

The sound design work at Nokia and the new album has been taking 99% of my time so not much other news. I am working on some remixes of the album tracks and then there is also the Orkidea remix of Finnish superstar vocalist Lauri’s new single ‘Disco-Nnect’ so those are the next Orkidea tracks coming out after the album. The first single of the album will be “Unity” with new versions by myself, Solarstone and Finnish progressive trance maestro Allende.

Do you have any other comments for your fans?

Thanks for all the old fans for sticking around so long and welcome all the new ones. Login on 11.11.11 to Beatport or iTunes and check out the album. Hope you’ll like and hope to catch you on one of my album release tour gigs!

http://www.djorkidea.com/

Old Post Nov-10-2011 19:38  United States
ViciousPanda
Supreme tranceaddict

Great interview. This dude is really cool. How did you conduct this one Z?

Old Post Nov-10-2011 20:28  Poland
Click Here to See the Profile for ViciousPanda Click here to Send ViciousPanda a Private Message Add ViciousPanda to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

quote:
Originally posted by ViciousPanda
Great interview. This dude is really cool. How did you conduct this one Z?

He's not here yet, so it was done through email Wanted to have it done before today when the album comes out

Old Post Nov-11-2011 14:18  United States
euphoria

Interview with Cosmic Gate for ElectronicNightLife.com
http://www.electronicnightlife.com

Electronic Night Life’s Lira Yin recently approached Cosmic Gate for an in depth interview prior to their third performance for the year of 2011 in the big apple. For their third return to New York City they played at Cielo in the meatpacking district with arguably one of the best sound systems in the USA and it truly made the music they played even more enticing. The house was packed with a bunch of out of control Cosmic Gate fans as you will see in the introduction to the interview video which was filmed by Shant Dosttur. Nic and Bossi were quite cheery discussing their newest album entitled “Wake Your Mind”.

Interviewer: Lira Yin
Videographer: Shant D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfFO_k6hPZE

Last edited by euphoria on Nov-30-2011 at 15:11

Old Post Nov-30-2011 15:06  United States

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Euphoria's Interview Thread (Updates: Funkerman, Daniel Wanrooy, Redroche, Kyau & Albert)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacksasha bangkok 1995 track 7... [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playback4 Clubbers - Together (Frankie Jones Remix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread