Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > CPU Processing Power
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
DJRYAN™
www.djryan.com

CPU Processing Power

Hey guys, I'm running Windows Vista w/ 8gb RAM and an AMD 2.60gHz Phenom II P650 Dual-Core Processor.

Ableton is hanging up with 2 instances of Nexus Running w/ eq's on both. And then two instances of Sylenth w/ a compressors running on both plus some basic (Ableton) eq.

I also have two separate channels for my kick drums which haven't been processed yet and a limiter on the master. There's nothing in the returns yet.

So, is that enough to cause the hang-ups or did I re-install all my vst's and ableton incorrectly?

The reason I ask is because I was under the impression Ableton allows for 64-bit VST'and I'm running a 64-bit system. I just reformatted my PC and I think I installed 32 bit everything.. Is that possible?

Last edited by DJRYAN™ on May-25-2012 at 01:13

Old Post May-25-2012 01:02 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJRYAN™ Click here to Send DJRYAN™ a Private Message Visit DJRYAN™'s homepage! Add DJRYAN™ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: CPU Processing Power

quote:
Originally posted by DJRYAN™
Hey guys, I'm running Windows Vista w/ 8gb RAM and an AMD 2.60gHz Phenom II P650 Dual-Core Processor.

Ableton is hanging up with 2 instances of Nexus Running w/ eq's on both. And then two instances of Sylenth w/ a compressors running on both plus some basic (Ableton) eq.

I also have two separate channels for my kick drums which haven't been processed yet and a limiter on the master. There's nothing in the returns yet.

So, is that enough to cause the hang-ups or did I re-install all my vst's and ableton incorrectly?

The reason I ask is because I was under the impression Ableton allows for 64-bit VST'and I'm running a 64-bit system. I just reformatted my PC and I think I installed 32 bit everything.. Is that possible?

Is this all cracks? I'm being serious as the legit versions of ableton are so much more stable. Nexus is also a CPU hog and Sylenth is usually OK. Are you running the latest updates of all your plugins.

Oh, and get that limiter off the master

Old Post May-25-2012 01:20 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Evolve140
Only Sidechaining a Bit

you work with a limiter on the master? haven't you learned anything here?

make sure your audio driver is set correctly and with a latency that is adjusted to perform well with your computer.. check your computer for background tasks eating CPU.

Old Post May-25-2012 01:24 
Click Here to See the Profile for Evolve140 Click here to Send Evolve140 a Private Message Add Evolve140 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJRYAN™
www.djryan.com

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Is this all cracks? I'm being serious as the legit versions of ableton are so much more stable. Nexus is also a CPU hog and Sylenth is usually OK. Are you running the latest updates of all your plugins.

Oh, and get that limiter off the master

No, I mean there are some, but not ones that are part of the project. It just seems like before I reformatted I was getting lots more out of Ableton and now it seems like i'm limited to 6 processed channels and then I'll get stuck..

So I guess what I'm asking.. are there any producers in this forum that have comparable specs that can tell me what they'd get out of there cpu with a similar configuration?

quote:
Originally posted by Evolve140
you work with a limiter on the master? haven't you learned anything here?

make sure your audio driver is set correctly and with a latency that is adjusted to perform well with your computer.. check your computer for background tasks eating CPU.

yea, I work with all my levels turned up.. just makes sense to have it on there so I don't blow out my eardrums..

Old Post May-25-2012 01:27 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJRYAN™ Click here to Send DJRYAN™ a Private Message Visit DJRYAN™'s homepage! Add DJRYAN™ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Evolve140
Only Sidechaining a Bit

All your levels turned up? Huh? Like you max out all the faders...?

Have you tried just... turning down your speakers?

Old Post May-25-2012 01:37 
Click Here to See the Profile for Evolve140 Click here to Send Evolve140 a Private Message Add Evolve140 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

ableton is 64 bit ? since when. Try each 1 at a time. don't use nexus for one.

Old Post May-25-2012 01:38 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
No, I mean there are some, but not ones that are part of the project. It just seems like before I reformatted I was getting lots more out of Ableton and now it seems like i'm limited to 6 processed channels and then I'll get stuck..

So I guess what I'm asking.. are there any producers in this forum that have comparable specs that can tell me what they'd get out of there cpu with a similar configuration?

yea, I work with all my levels turned up.. just makes sense to have it on there so I don't blow out my eardrums..

Don't have the same spec but what version of windows are you running and have you optimised it for audio? Have you also done a defragment since the install?

But what the fuck is that about "working with your levels up"? You sound like you don't have your gain staging set up correctly - there's absolutely no need for a limiter on the master. If you don't want to do a full calibration (per my guide) at least set all you faders to unity play some decently loud sounds through it and trim your monitors accordingly.

Old Post May-25-2012 01:39 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJRYAN™
www.djryan.com

quote:
Originally posted by Evolve140
All your levels turned up? Huh? Like you max out all the faders...?

Have you tried just... turning down your speakers?

volume = processing power

I don't think that's it. I'm maxing out Ableton with the what seems like a small amount of instruments / fx.

And more importantly without automations...

I thought by adding more RAM that would help so I just recently took it from 4gb to 8gb but that didn't do a damn thing...

So, that's why I was asking on your cpu, how many channels can you get fully processed and with a similar set-up.

Old Post May-25-2012 01:40 
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
volume = processing power

Old Post May-25-2012 01:43 
DJRYAN™
www.djryan.com

quote:
Originally posted by Looney4Clooney
ableton is 64 bit ? since when. Try each 1 at a time. don't use nexus for one.

see now I'm really irritated.. because I know I installed 32bit VST's..because I knew that Ableton didn't support 64-bit.. but I'm teling you Ableton prior to me adding all that RAM worked really well.. And now its not..

The only thing else I can think of trying would be the output latency, which I usually keep around the 5k mark.. which is where it is now.. Not sure that'll help either..

And to elaborate, the cpu usuage comes in spikes without any other programs or background tasks running. I close those in the task manager.

Old Post May-25-2012 01:47 
DJRYAN™
www.djryan.com

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN

you're the one that suggested that turning down my speakers would assist in solving the problem. My "volume = processing power" thing was just saying what you were suggesting.. Chill out homie..

Old Post May-25-2012 01:49 
Evolve140
Only Sidechaining a Bit

Try it without Nexus running?

edit: Without Nexus even open in your project.

Old Post May-25-2012 01:49 

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > CPU Processing Power
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackGabriel and Dresden track? [2008] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSpektrum - "Kinda New" (Tiefschwarz Dub) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread