Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Laurent Garnier - Sónar Festival Closing Set, 16.06.13
Pages (6): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Yes, I've heard others who've seen him at various festivals say the same, it seems a valid criticism if you're a big Garnier fan. I've had experiences before where I've seen a DJ play a phenomenal set and then gone to see them again shortly afterwards and heard a lot of the same tracks, which just isn't as much fun second time around. I guess big touring DJs who play in different countries every weekend will stick to a winning formula for a while.

They're the original versions of Out Of Space and Sylvester, by the way. Sounds like some FX added to Out Of Space but that's about it.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Aug-03-2013 08:56  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lagrangian
Suspended User

Good luck, Austin. Hope you get to travel someday.

America is so big, for most people in this country, traveling or learning about other countries is not a priority. Unfortunately, electronic music, is by nature urban & a bit underground so it's going to require traveling. It's alot like the 'gay scene', you want to be in a city ideally: San Francisco, NYC, Manchester, etc. where you can meet other people who are into the same things, and where you can find places that cater to your tastes.

I know very little of Atlanta, only the Airport, and the rich housewives lol don't really watch that shit, but it's a staple of Atlanta isn't it?

Yeah, get out of America for a while. Take risks!

Ubuntu, My Fellow Pleiadians, Ubuntu!

Old Post Aug-03-2013 14:30  Norway
Click Here to See the Profile for Lagrangian Click here to Send Lagrangian a Private Message Add Lagrangian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Nah, I've been taking a break from listening to everything ASC-related for a while.

Never though I'd hear you say that!

Burnt out, or trying to prevent a burn-out?

Old Post Aug-03-2013 23:14 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spacey Orange
Hypnautic Beats Addict

quote:
Originally posted by MR STROKE
This set is fucking ace! Really wish I could have been there

I never understood why Garnier never got popular in the US? He has been in the game for years and can bang it out with the best of them, but yet never gets booked out here. (or at least as much as guys like-Cox, Hawtin, Beyer, etc...)

Because of this:

quote:
US TOUR CANCELLATION

I am very sorry to have to cancel my forthcoming tour in the United States. I have decided to cancel further to what I consider to be completely unreasonable demands from the US Embassy in France in order to renew my working visa.

In order to obtain this new visa, the rules have once again changed since November 2004 and I would now have to not only fill in an exceedingly probing application form, but also be interviewed by a member of the Embassy staff, and provide proof of ownership of my house, details of my bank account, my mobile phone records, personal information on all my family members and more. I consider these demands to be a complete violation of my privacy and my civil liberties and I refuse to comply.

I am horrified by these new regulations and feel really sad that this is what some call freedom and democracy.

It has now become almost impossible for an artist to come and perform in the United States. And until this new legislation changes I will unfortunately refuse to comply with this nonsense.

Thank you for your understanding.

Laurent Garnier

From 2005!

linky

Still up:1:2

Down:3:4:5

Old Post Aug-04-2013 00:41  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Spacey Orange Click here to Send Spacey Orange a Private Message Add Spacey Orange to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
Never though I'd hear you say that!

Burnt out, or trying to prevent a burn-out?

I just haven't felt like listening to his stuff for a while. It's quite exhausting following him and his label, because shit is just flying at you constantly, so I've taken my foot off the pedal.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Aug-04-2013 01:03  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dykes_on_Jay
Ape me.

This was an entertaining listen. It was good. I would dance to this.

It was not groundbreaking. It was treading water. I've seen Laurent a few times, and this was a lot of the same old same old. A bunch of new things with things that he has been caning for years.

plur.

Old Post Aug-05-2013 11:54  China
Click Here to See the Profile for Dykes_on_Jay Click here to Send Dykes_on_Jay a Private Message Visit Dykes_on_Jay's homepage! Add Dykes_on_Jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

The backspin to Man With The Red Face gets me everytime. So good.

Old Post Aug-13-2013 18:11 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
paulversuspaul
Inventor of the fist pump

sorry for the bump but since i was mia for a while i went back through old threads to see if i had missed anything and stumbled on this bad boy.

Jack is right, this is fn brilliant. If you look at just the tracklisting it would seem that he just played some classics at the end for shits and giggles but actually listening to the set in its entirety makes you appreciate how well woven it is. If you didnt know age of love was a classic trance song you would have guessed that it is a new techno song you hadnt heard before. same with the other classics. and its a perfect festival or live set. easily danceable, highly energetic with expertise in song selection, mixing, and putting together a coherent set that has a beginning a middle and an end.

actually what this set best illustrates is that you can play classics in a modern set and it doesnt appear out of nowhere if you have done your job as a dj properly. by the end when we get to the classics, he has the crowd eating out of his hands, the man could have dropped just about anything and he could have made it work.

as an aside, joseph capriati plays age of love as well, and the crowds go apeshit when he plays it and i suspect most of the people have no idea they are hearing a trance song. maybe trance is going to make a comeback? a man can dream cant he?

This guy needs to come back

Old Post Nov-15-2013 22:28  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for paulversuspaul Click here to Send paulversuspaul a Private Message Add paulversuspaul to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Laurent Garnier - Sónar Festival Closing Set, 16.06.13
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (6): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackName That Tune! [2010] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackVengaboys - "You And Me" [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread