Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
DR86
I <3 GW Basketball

I'm readin a book right now called the "Essential Spiderman: Seasons 1-5". Such a great book. It teaches you a lot.

It has to start somewhere,
It has to start sometime,
What better place then here?
What better time than now?

--Rage Against the Machine

Old Post Aug-12-2003 01:45  Lebanon
Click Here to See the Profile for DR86 Click here to Send DR86 a Private Message Add DR86 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tathi
wanderlust

Stranger In A Strange Lan - Robert A. Heinlein

Dune - Frank Herbert

Old Post Aug-16-2003 10:22  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for tathi Click here to Send tathi a Private Message Add tathi to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrSquirrel
Auf Wiedersehen

quote:
Originally posted by tathi
Stranger In A Strange Lan - Robert A. Heinlein

Dune - Frank Herbert

That is weird....I was reading through this thread and was going to put both of those in my list....since I am reading Stranger in a Strange Land again right now (4th time).

So here is a short list of what I consider "intellectually stimulating" reading (It is all novels or plays, I don't read much non-fiction).
Novels:
Robert A. Heinlein - Stranger in a Strange Land
Frank Herbert - The DUNE chronicles (all 6 of them)
David Eddings - The Losers
Michael Crichton - Sphere
Piers Anthony - Macroscope (out of print)

Plays:
Calderon de la Barca - La vida es Sueño (Life is Beautiful)
Sophie Treadwell - Machinal
Edward Albee - The Zoo Story
August Strindberg - The Ghost Sonata
Henrik Ibsen - An Enemy of the People
Eugene O'Neill - A Long Day's Journey Into Night <----Make sure you have a bottle of whiskey on hand, this one is rough
Bertholdt Brecht - Mother Courage and Her Children
Moliere - Le Misanthrope

That is the short list....I read a lot of books and I used to read a lot of plays (for my 7 semesters of Theatre History classes) so this is not by any means a total list. Just stuff that popped into my head.

MrS

-"Reality" is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.

Old Post Aug-17-2003 04:17  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for MrSquirrel Click here to Send MrSquirrel a Private Message Visit MrSquirrel's homepage! Add MrSquirrel to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Eisbaer
Senior tranceaddict

on one hand, i could just tell you to read a modern translation of the bible, completely.

on the other hand, "the screwtape letter" CS LEWIS

Old Post Aug-17-2003 04:18  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Eisbaer Click here to Send Eisbaer a Private Message Add Eisbaer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tathi
wanderlust

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquirrel
That is weird....I was reading through this thread and was going to put both of those in my list....since I am reading Stranger in a Strange Land again right now (4th time).

I am reading it for the second time at the moment

As for Dune i have only read the original, i have copies of God Emperor, Messiah and Children of Dune but they are towards the end of a long queue of books to be read

Are the prequels to dune worth getting?

quote:
David Eddings - The Losers

Is this anything like his earlier fantasy novels? I read the Belgariad and the Mallorean several years ago, i think i was about 11 at the time, and enjoyed them.

Old Post Aug-17-2003 05:40  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for tathi Click here to Send tathi a Private Message Add tathi to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrSquirrel
Auf Wiedersehen

quote:

Are the prequels to dune worth getting?

Is this anything like his earlier fantasy novels? I read the Belgariad and the Mallorean several years ago, i think i was about 11 at the time, and enjoyed them.

I have not as of yet read any of the younger Herbert's novels...will probably get to those sometime later this year.

The Losers is a fiction book set in recent times. It is a very very interesting book....not at all like his fantasy books. High Hunt (his first novel) is also very good. I have a harcover anthology with both of them in it. I recommend both if you like his writing style.

MrS

-"Reality" is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.

Old Post Aug-17-2003 05:49  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for MrSquirrel Click here to Send MrSquirrel a Private Message Visit MrSquirrel's homepage! Add MrSquirrel to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tathi
wanderlust

hopefully the prequals written by Franks son arn't like the novels written by Christopher Tolkien, trying to cash in on a tired concept

Old Post Aug-17-2003 06:48  Australia
MrSquirrel
Auf Wiedersehen

quote:
hopefully the prequals written by Franks son arn't like the novels written by Christopher Tolkien, trying to cash in on a tired concept

A friend of mine said he read House Harkonnen a couple years back and thought it was pretty good. We shall see....at the very least I am interested in reading the Butlerian Jihad for the added background it would give (provided it works with the original well)

MrS

Old Post Aug-18-2003 03:03  United Nations
rizo
rizoholic

the author of this book was interviewed for an hour on a local radio station. it was so intresting i think ill pick up the book

http://sextimepower.com/

Old Post Aug-21-2003 17:30 
Click Here to See the Profile for rizo Click here to Send rizo a Private Message Add rizo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mikado
Supreme tranceaddict

Be Cool!

The Alcoholic Republic: An American Tradition
By W. J. Rorabaugh

Old Post Aug-26-2003 12:55  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Mikado Click here to Send Mikado a Private Message Add Mikado to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrSquirrel
Auf Wiedersehen

Added books to my list:

Robert A. Heinlein - J.O.B. A Comedy of Justice.
Richard Adams - Watership Down.
Douglas Adams - All Hitchhiker's Guide books, Dirk gentley's Holistic Detective Agency, and The Long, Dark, Tea Time of the Soul.
Raymond E. Feist - Faerie Tale

MrS

Old Post Sep-04-2003 00:25  United Nations
daffodil
don't worry about it

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquirrel
Richard Adams - Watership Down.

wonderfully written, creative and original book with fantastic sociological observations. i learned a lot about rabbits too.

Old Post Sep-08-2003 03:40  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for daffodil Click here to Send daffodil a Private Message Add daffodil to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPlease help me ID this mad track!! [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackInfexious - "Let Me Fly" [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread