Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
AnotherWay83
The B00b Maintenance Guy™

quote:
Originally posted by Gourhellyea
kurt vonnegut is also amazing, i would highly recommend slaughterhouse five.

i hated catch-22, what did you guys see in it?

catch-22 was hilarious!! i remember how much i kept on laughing when reading that book...my fave character==Milo

slaughterhouse 5 is a good book, yes.

Old Post Apr-07-2003 05:54 
Click Here to See the Profile for AnotherWay83 Click here to Send AnotherWay83 a Private Message Add AnotherWay83 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceGiant
randomly disappoints

So I'm about to buy the famous "Godel, Escher, Bach" book. Any1 here ready it yet?

Old Post Apr-10-2003 17:11  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceGiant Click here to Send TranceGiant a Private Message Visit TranceGiant's homepage! Add TranceGiant to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Renegade
____________/

How did you go with Nausea?

Old Post Apr-10-2003 17:31  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Renegade Click here to Send Renegade a Private Message Add Renegade to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceGiant
randomly disappoints

Im ashamed to say that I gave up on page 30. I swore to get back to it at some point but right now I wasnt too fascinated with a weird guy who loves nothing more than touching dirty, wet pieces of paper I know there'd be some "sense" unfolding later on..but bah..not now

Old Post Apr-10-2003 17:36  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceGiant Click here to Send TranceGiant a Private Message Visit TranceGiant's homepage! Add TranceGiant to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Renegade
____________/

Yeah, I was going to say, it's not really an "introduction" to existentialism. You probably need a good grounding (and interest!) in existentialism/phenomenology to get the most out of it.

But seriously, I reccomend you try and read it again and take good notice of the way Roquentin (the main character) sees things, especially later on. It's a bit slow, but Satres writing style is brilliant imho and if you know what you're meant to be looking for, it's pretty easy to look at the world in a completely different way once you've finished.

Old Post Apr-10-2003 17:44  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Renegade Click here to Send Renegade a Private Message Add Renegade to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Highmay
of the Flying Highmays

saudi arabia and the politics of dissent...

the psychological assessment of political leaders ...edited by jerrold m. post, md

and..

the satanic verses...by salman rushdie

Old Post Apr-11-2003 21:19  Puerto Rico
Click Here to See the Profile for Highmay Click here to Send Highmay a Private Message Add Highmay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DaveSZ
When The Levee Breaks

COSMOS BY CARL SAGAN (astronomy/philosophy)

Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges (literature)

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (lit)

Old Post Apr-15-2003 01:02 
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveSZ Click here to Send DaveSZ a Private Message Add DaveSZ to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Konijn
Subverting Paradigms

quote:
Originally posted by DaveSaenz
COSMOS BY CARL SAGAN (astronomy/philosophy)

Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges (literature)

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (lit)

you underlined the book titles--how fastidious of you

[Dark Disco|Frozen Balearic|Gay Biker-House| Boogie-Trance|Heavy Electronica|Soft-Goth]

Old Post Apr-17-2003 22:33  Greece
Click Here to See the Profile for Konijn Click here to Send Konijn a Private Message Visit Konijn's homepage! Add Konijn to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spin Doctor
Supreme tranceaddict

I was going to post in this thread before but never got around to reading through the whole thing to see if my suggestions had all ready been post. Here’s what I recommend, in no particular order:

Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser
Details the woes of fast food with out just being an anti-McDonalds rant. If you’ve ever eaten or plan on continuing to eat fast food, give this a read.

Them – John Ronson
John Ronson is an “investigative journalist” similar in style to Louis Theroux (sp??). This book is about his dealings with extremists from all walks of life. Islamic, Neonazi etc etc.

Candide –Voltare
This, despite being an C18th book, is still highly amusing and very relevant. It’s the tale of Candide’s adventures around the world – however it’s not the adventures themselves which are important, it’s what things represent and what you learn from inference in the dialogue between the people. Apparently Voltare had a lockup in the Bastille because of this book which at the time really set the cat among the pigeons.

Currently I’m reading Stupid White Men by Michael Moor. Though I don’t agree with all he says and all his ideas, on the whole it’s very good. The “Dow wow wow” chapter, is incredibly accurate and I particularly liked the list of Bushes “achievements” in office. Makes me glad I don’t live in America, yet also makes me worry that the UK doesn’t end up the same way.

Old Post Apr-22-2003 23:53  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Spin Doctor Click here to Send Spin Doctor a Private Message Add Spin Doctor to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
CortexBomb
Slave to the Dark Beat

quote:
Originally posted by Spin Doctor
Currently I’m reading Stupid White Men by Michael Moor. Though I don’t agree with all he says and all his ideas, on the whole it’s very good. The “Dow wow wow” chapter, is incredibly accurate and I particularly liked the list of Bushes “achievements” in office. Makes me glad I don’t live in America, yet also makes me worry that the UK doesn’t end up the same way.[/COLOR]

I like Michael Moore a lot (a Michigan guy makes good! Yay ) and love his films, especially Roger & Me and Bowling for Columbine...but....

I dislike the way he comes across in his books. His message is the right one, but when he refers to Bush Jr. as "the Thief in Chief" for one easy example, he makes a point, but at the cost of credibility.

To me he ends up sounding like nothing more than the US left wing version of Rush Limbaugh, and as such he can be taken less seriously than he should be.

Old Post Apr-25-2003 16:32  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for CortexBomb Click here to Send CortexBomb a Private Message Visit CortexBomb's homepage! Add CortexBomb to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
CortexBomb
Slave to the Dark Beat

quote:
Originally posted by Trancer-X
Look into the "Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion" if you want something sketchy to ruminate over.

Extremely important work for anyone interested in studying the Holocaust/Shoah as well...this book was widespread in Germany and Europe during the Nazi time period and was one of the things that Hitler and the rest of the NSDAP knew of, believed in, and referenced regularly....

Old Post Apr-25-2003 16:35  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for CortexBomb Click here to Send CortexBomb a Private Message Visit CortexBomb's homepage! Add CortexBomb to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
trancendental
Senior tranceaddict

The Bet, Anton Chekhov. Short read can be found on the net.

Old Post Apr-28-2003 03:06  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for trancendental Click here to Send trancendental a Private Message Add trancendental to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playback---- 2003 Kick Ass Tune [2006] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDJ Tiësto - "Sparkles" (Transa Remix) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread