Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Slow tour schedules?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Good topic for a thread.

To be honest, there really a few key reasons in my eyes:

1, EDM is slowing, at least in terms of the hype/peak. There's still tons of events (if anything more clubs playing dance music than ever) but the scene is general has been losing some of the real inertia so big events are toning it down. There's never been more talent for

2. There's more talent around these days. I see more unknown/lesser/local/underground names for events than at any other point in my 20+ years clubbing. BPM fest for instance has so many names I'd basically never heard of and only a handful of "big DJ's", whereas back in the day, it was the same two dozen DJ's playing every big event there was.

3, The big names get paid big money and after several decades, I don't care how passionate you are, or how used to the lifestyle, doing 15 gigs a month gets tired. When you're still making several hundred grand a year from just playing twice a month it's difficult to really live on a plane and out of a suitcase every damn year.

In fairness some big names DJ's (sasha for instance) are playing more than previous years; at one point (post epic house boom) Sasha was barely playing out, then made a comeback was everywhere, and then just a few years ago, he was only playing 15 gigs a year. The past few years he's been two or three times that at least. Some DJ's make personal choices to limit their schedule so they remain exclusive and for others, the time is right to do as many as possible,

Cox, after years of being very well established but maybe a little too hard for the mainstream clubbers, finally had his time come again and the masses were ready for it and he's milked it, and rightly so,

I can't be sure on the ibiza thing, but it comes and goes. I went in 1995 and it was bonkers. It then died a bit of a death and came back and I went again in 2005, it was great but very different - for sintance, it was kind of strange (in a good way) to see Cox, who was always the guy playing hard, strobe in a black basement, pulsating trippy techno, have his own headlining big room club night playing deep house, prog and tech.

Things come to an end as they play their course. He's had a decade long residency which was easily one of the biggest nights in ibiza history but things evolve. While I don't think people by any means are over Cox, they may be over ibiza or at least are trying things like other destinations.

As also mentioned, a lot of these guys started in their 20's and 30's in the 90's...meaning they're in their 50's now (cox is 53, Sasha is 47, Digweed is 49). I'd love them to play forever, but how long do they want to keep it going?

But you never know, things go in cycles, I heard that Ayia Napa made a comeback this year and I never thought I'd hear that lol.

Old Post Jul-17-2016 02:11 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Slow tour schedules?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): « 1 [2]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackunknown track 1 of 3 [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackA.I.D.A. - Merrit [2001]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread