Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > My pics...
Pages (19): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

Mirrorless cameras are excellent, but Nou is pretty much right in everything he's said here.

If you want something lighter though, then I say go for it. I can definitely understand the want to have something more portable and not so bulky, since my camera and lenses are big and heavy as fuck (the camera body, battery grip and 300mm lens weigh 2.5kg/5.5lbs together )

Acton has an NEX-7 from memory, we should get him to drop by this thread to comment.

Old Post Jul-12-2013 22:32  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Sushipunk Click here to Send Sushipunk a Private Message Visit Sushipunk's homepage! Add Sushipunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

quote:
Originally posted by srussell0018
it's way lighter which would make it easier to hold steady when not using a tripod

I have to pull you up on this one as well. A heavier camera is actually easier to hold steady due to the increased inertia from that extra weight. It's why people like myself, who use large telephoto lenses, are always advised to have a battery grip on their camera, both to help balance the load, and to increase the weight for steadier shooting.

Old Post Jul-12-2013 23:18  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Sushipunk Click here to Send Sushipunk a Private Message Visit Sushipunk's homepage! Add Sushipunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
International Playa Hater

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
pull. hold. grip. load. shooting.

lololol

Old Post Jul-12-2013 23:25 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

Old Post Jul-12-2013 23:26  Australia
djkopernikus
Supreme tranceaddict

Interesting discussion. On a side note, I want to remind that I'M NOT A PRO PHOTOGRAPHER. This is not my full job, although I do have some projects which i'm getting paid. My goal is to be a better photographer, but as been a PRO, the goal is pretty far away. The economics/employment situation here is pretty f-ed up, so being a self-taught photog is my dream at this point.

I don't have a big interest to start churning about the gear, and it is an endless debate. I have been observing (at different discussion boards) that people have some kind of weird compulsive drive to start showing charts and numbers about F-stops, shutter speeds and all kinds of technical stuff at some point, and I do not see reason why it would not happen in this thread. Maybe at some point

The idea of changing my 600D to mirrorless is just will to start something new, but the price tags are currently far too heavy. I'm also thinking to buy a quite cheap pocket camera (maybe Canon Ixus 135) and keep the 600D in my packback. Why?

I'm quite tall and heavy (195cm/110kg), and when you have "that big gun" on your shoulder and start to shoot on a street, you will be "that guy". It's an interesting, psychological pattern. Every time, when I start to shoot (in a crowd), I'm feeling that 10 000 eye pairs are drilling through my back

Well, that's not a serious problem, coz I usually shoot at very early morning or very late at night. But in crowded situations, it would be nice to pull a small compact camera and shoot in stealth mode. That Ixus has 16megapixels so it's not a super lowsy choice.

One thing I would recommend is that go and rent (+execute good tests) gear before buying it. I have seen many failed purchases when the expectations were too high. And also, don't take this too serious. It's not the camera, it's the seven inches behind it (mostly).

Old Post Jul-13-2013 00:00  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for djkopernikus Click here to Send djkopernikus a Private Message Add djkopernikus to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

quote:
Originally posted by djkopernikus
I'm quite tall and heavy (195cm/110kg), and when you have "that big gun" on your shoulder and start to shoot on a street, you will be "that guy". It's an interesting, psychological pattern. Every time, when I start to shoot (in a crowd), I'm feeling that 10 000 eye pairs are drilling through my back

LOL, yeah. I can definitely relate to this

Old Post Jul-13-2013 00:14  Australia
djkopernikus
Supreme tranceaddict

Btw, interdasting article!: http://petapixel.com/2013/07/12/con...lose-thousands/

Old Post Jul-13-2013 00:27  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for djkopernikus Click here to Send djkopernikus a Private Message Add djkopernikus to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Joss Weatherby
Banned

Yea, can't stress it enough, a camera is a tool. Buying fancy gear will never make you a good photographer or even a better photographer (especially if you don't know what you are doing, it can make you a worse photographer).

Knowledge, experience, failure, and trying again is what makes you a good photographer. I have walked away from a day of shooting and had maybe 1000 exposures but I come away with only maybe one out of ten being photos I am really happy with. I consider that luck too for me, I have no formal training like some people on TA have, but even then I doubt they walk away with more than 50% exposures they are really happy with, and I bet they still will only feel comfortable publishing 10% of them.

Old Post Jul-13-2013 00:48 
Click Here to See the Profile for Joss Weatherby Click here to Send Joss Weatherby a Private Message Visit Joss Weatherby's homepage! Add Joss Weatherby to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

quote:
Btw, interdasting article!: http://petapixel.com/2013/07/12/con...lose-thousands/

Wow, that's pretty extreme GAS, especially with the custom film stuff

I GAS a bit as well, admittedly. I've owned 4 different DSLR bodies in the last 7 or 8 years (still have 2 of them), and 11 different lenses (still have 5 of them). I genuinely do love trying out new gear though. I have also purchased a lot of my gear on the second hand market, and actually made a profit re-selling some of it.

Old Post Jul-13-2013 02:34  Australia
Joss Weatherby
Banned

I miss having disposable income.

I also miss having two bodies.

Old Post Jul-13-2013 04:05 
Click Here to See the Profile for Joss Weatherby Click here to Send Joss Weatherby a Private Message Visit Joss Weatherby's homepage! Add Joss Weatherby to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Syntonic
Artcore Addict

quote:

Maybe in the future I would upgrade to something like but now I'm just looking for a entry-level or better DSLR. I was looking at a Canon Rebel T3. I just got into the whole photography thing when my gf's brother gave me a Nikon Coolpix P90 and started messing around with apertures and long exposures.

BTW, these are my favorite so far.

Receivers is my top favorite and title is very fitting. Excellent stuff.

Old & New Electronic Music Channel
Soundcloud Mixes

Old Post Jul-13-2013 08:57  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Syntonic Click here to Send Syntonic a Private Message Add Syntonic to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
djkopernikus
Supreme tranceaddict

Lately i've been shooting more floral and architecture stuff...

Enjoy

Old Post Jul-24-2013 15:42  Finland

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > My pics...
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (19): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackCarl Cox - 2001.02.03 [05] [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDJ Ladida - "Lifemaster" (Mundo EP) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread