Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > The Official TOTA BlackBerry thread
Pages (82): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Moral Hazard
Oppressing the 99%

quote:
Originally posted by spiderpig
I suggest you guys go early, you might not get one if you don't as the lineups are huge.

Dude... it's being sold all over the place; rather then just one store, and blackberry tends to be the brand of choice for professionals... not the type of people who would call in sick or take a day off so they can be the first one to have a given product thereby making the rest of the gender ambiguous trend whores jealous. It only stands to reason that there wouldn't be legions of fan boys camped out for one. Apple's target market laughs at the lack of line up; RIM's target market laughs at the fan boys camped out all night because Steve told them to.

I know it's not your strong suit but try to employ even a little bit of critical thinking.

quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
lol, i love it when moral feels the need to lay the smack down

Old Post Apr-19-2011 18:00  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Moral Hazard Click here to Send Moral Hazard a Private Message Add Moral Hazard to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
exstasie
Hack Attack

quote:
Originally posted by Moral Hazard
Dude... it's being sold all over the place; rather then just one store, and blackberry tends to be the brand of choice for professionals... not the type of people who would call in sick or take a day off so they can be the first one to have a given product thereby making the rest of the gender ambiguous trend whores jealous. It only stands to reason that there wouldn't be legions of fan boys camped out for one. Apple's target market laughs at the lack of line up; RIM's target market laughs at the fan boys camped out all night because Steve told them to.

I know it's not your strong suit but try to employ even a little bit of critical thinking.

We got several in the office...all of them were pre-ordered, as you mentioned, from various stores. If you really wanted one today, you could pre-order it, and go pick up this morning.

Staples was advertising to just pre-buy it as all of their stock was being allocated to those who pre-bought first. Any leftovers would be sold on the floor. In this day in age, it doesn't make sense not to pre-buy.

Old Post Apr-19-2011 18:27  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for exstasie Click here to Send exstasie a Private Message Add exstasie to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
kotsy

quote:
Originally posted by ChemEnhanced
but what great advantage is this device over your blackberry? To me its just another techy toy for people with too much money.

Download my latest podcast or go to hell

Old Post Apr-19-2011 18:45  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for kotsy Click here to Send kotsy a Private Message Add kotsy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LKD
Omni-peasant

most bestbuys and other retailers in the states were sold out by 10am...just an FYI

Old Post Apr-20-2011 01:43  United Arab Emirates
Click Here to See the Profile for LKD Click here to Send LKD a Private Message Visit LKD's homepage! Add LKD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mach X
DEMF Ambassador

Ok, now I finally have time to discuss the PlayBook...

Busy week!! EEK!

Picked mine up on Tuesday, did the updates and started using it. Out of the box, I was impressed with the device, hardware, screen, functionality, etc.

I was happy with what it was capable of and it's build.

I was not happy with the lack of apps in app world, BlackBerry Bridge functionality missing some key features and the promised Android sandbox or functionality available. Also, it was a right piss off that the Micro D HDMI cable did not come in the box.

Now, that being said, it's only been a few days, right now do I think it was worth it, paying all that the money? For what I got = yes, what it can do = no.

It does what I expected it to, but I did expect it to do more. Which it will, just not out of the box or at launch week. But when it WILL be able to do so much more? I think at that time I will be more satisfied with my purchase.

It's like having a brand new computer, out of the box it had solitaire and a few pictures and sample. It wasn't until you started uninstalling the core add ons, tweaking, adjusting your settings, adding new programs and apps, personalizing that it does what you really want it to do and be.

What sucks, at this moment there is no apps avail and some of the functionality is not available yet for various personalization, tweaks.

The other thing is that people (including myself) need to stop considering it a bigger BlackBerry, or expecting most of BlackBerry to port itself over. It's it's own new thing, a tablet. With a new software.

It's not a BlackBerry, it's not a PC. It's a device the compliments the BlackBerry and a device that compliments your PC.

BlackBerry Bridge is pretty sweet tho, can't wait for full BBM functionality and Birdge Files to be able to access more than just documents and include media like video, pictures, music etc. Also, it needs to access the on board memory of your device as well.

I love the feel of it, the weight, the screen. The colours POP and are so very bright. The battery life is sweet as well, a very big shock considering the drain the Torch was for battery.

Today and tomorrow are my first days off since I got my PlayBook, and 65+ hours of work later, finally I will have time to sit down and really geek out on it and see what else I can do to it and get it doing.

Anyone else get one and know of anything cool or had any problems?

I hate how there is no native file browser on the PlayBook... I tried dragging and droping some of my Chrome bookmarks into the bookmark folder of the PlayBook. Browser won't see it...

Put some .mobi ereader books into my books folder. No joy, Kobo wouldn't read it or see it.

And then finally, put a collection of videos on my PlayBook, the normal rips of movies in XVID and in avi would work. Your average run of the mill TVRip in HD plays just fine.

Any HD movie and high quality scene reelease/rip will play and look AMAZING! But no sound... hmmm

Last edited by Mach X on Apr-25-2011 at 08:40

Old Post Apr-25-2011 02:42  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Mach X Click here to Send Mach X a Private Message Visit Mach X's homepage! Add Mach X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
goodnet
•Damn• I look good.

Playbook looks good, I'll probably get one eventually. For my purposes, in doing business - it would fill a gap where it'd be too inconvinient to use a laptop or even a windows tablet PC (i.e. informal customer meetings, "drop bys", restaurants, walking around) but I still want to convey information to customers or mine data where it'd be too ackward to do so with a smartphone.

Old Post Apr-25-2011 12:07  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for goodnet Click here to Send goodnet a Private Message Add goodnet to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LiveTime
Supreme tranceaddict

Glad to hear everyone who has one is liking it. As someone who has been working on playbook at RIM, i'm glad to see other people enjoying it. I primarily just work on handheld hardware like curve and bold, but playbook has been fun to play with before it launched. Supposedly the sales were higher than analysts expected, so that's also good.

As for where the market it going...lenovo is making a tablet that will slide into a laptop dock and act as the screen when you plug it in. However, once again it doesn't make phone calls.

In my opinion, the company that really takes the cake and gets a big boost will be the one who develops a Moto Atrix like device but builds it well and contains a computing operating system. People won't fully buy into the idea of a phone-pc until they can run upwards of 60% of their current computer programs on the device. It's gonna take some serious thought and money to develop a product like this, but i've got a feeling MSFT/APPLE will reign supreme once again in this market due to the fact that they own widely used computing operating systems. I'd be willing to spend 2K right now if a product like this existed today.

Lots of fun and cool stuff to come!

Old Post Apr-26-2011 00:37  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for LiveTime Click here to Send LiveTime a Private Message Add LiveTime to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
goodnet
•Damn• I look good.

quote:
Originally posted by LiveTime

People won't fully buy into the idea of a phone-pc until they can run upwards of 60% of their current computer programs on the device.

Interesting. With this school of thought, maybe people would increasingly use normal desktop/laptops for content creation tasks (writing letters, school assignments, research, photo editing/managing, video editing, managing finances/taxes, etc). I also think the pricing needs to be netbook-agressive, to avoid the whole "I can just do this sh*t on my netbook/laptop!" buying objection.

The more tasks you can perform on a device that boots instantly & is highly portable, the better.

Old Post Apr-26-2011 20:34  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for goodnet Click here to Send goodnet a Private Message Add goodnet to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mach X
DEMF Ambassador

quote:
Glad to hear everyone who has one is liking it. As someone who has been working on playbook at RIM, i'm glad to see other people enjoying it. I primarily just work on handheld hardware like curve and bold, but playbook has been fun to play with before it launched. Supposedly the sales were higher than analysts expected, so that's also good.

Support or R&D?

Old Post Apr-28-2011 03:51  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Mach X Click here to Send Mach X a Private Message Visit Mach X's homepage! Add Mach X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dr. Z
edm sux

So I got my PB and it's fucking sweet of course. But one thing, maybe someone here has one and ran into the same issue. How do I watch a youtube vid in one tab and then surf facebook on another? As soon as I switch tabs it pauses the youtube vid. :\

Old Post Apr-29-2011 04:18  Yugoslavia
Click Here to See the Profile for Dr. Z Click here to Send Dr. Z a Private Message Visit Dr. Z's homepage! Add Dr. Z to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GGM
Supreme houseaddict

quote:
In my opinion, the company that really takes the cake and gets a big boost will be the one who develops a Moto Atrix like device but builds it well and contains a computing operating system.

That phone is so disgustingly stacked hardware wise. I have no idea why it's not getting more hype out there but imo it blows almost every other phone out of the water in most categories. Fingerprint scanner for security is absolutely brilliant as well. And c'mon, dual core in a phone??? It's also does all this in more or less the same size as the iphone, I think maybe 5mm wider or something...

Old Post Apr-29-2011 14:08  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for GGM Click here to Send GGM a Private Message Add GGM to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mortyman
Mr. Morton

Just found a huge flaw with my Blackberry...

When you go into BBM and go to scan a group barcode... there is no way of exiting this unless you take the battery out. No button will exit from this screen, it just waits and waits and waits til it scans something.

SOUNDCLOUD - http://soundcloud.com/djmrmorton

Old Post Apr-30-2011 21:51  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Mortyman Click here to Send Mortyman a Private Message Add Mortyman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Toronto & Southern Ont. > The Official TOTA BlackBerry thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (82): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbacksample from goodfellas [2002] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPaul van Dyk - Tell Me Why (The Riddle) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread