Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Pages (31): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Verona^My
full on addict

I've been meaning to read Machiavelli for quite some time now... Ayn Rand is also good, and Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto is an essential read.

DNA, kick me up
Protoculture, Circadians

Old Post Jan-01-2003 00:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Verona^My Click here to Send Verona^My a Private Message Add Verona^My to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Izzy
Virtue & Vice

ok i got a little carried away and wanted to start my own home library to have with me when i own a huge house and need to fill a den room with books...
i bought on amazon 3 books today, my collection looks like this:

The Communist Manifesto, Karl Marx
Sophies World, Jostein Gaarder
1984, George Orwell
For the New Intellectual, Ayn Rand [includes, atlas shrugged and fountain head]
The Prince, Niccoly Machiavelli
How to Practice: The way to a Meaningful life, Dalai Lama
A Brief History of Time, Steven Hawking
Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkein

sorry for bragging

ps. when is this thread going to become sticky?

Old Post Jan-02-2003 04:59 
Click Here to See the Profile for Izzy Click here to Send Izzy a Private Message Add Izzy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Floorfiller
Girl + Sweater = Hotness

quote:
Originally posted by Izzy
ok i got a little carried away and wanted to start my own home library to have with me when i own a huge house and need to fill a den room with books...
i bought on amazon 3 books today, my collection looks like this:

The Communist Manifesto, Karl Marx
Sophies World, Jostein Gaarder
1984, George Orwell
For the New Intellectual, Ayn Rand [includes, atlas shrugged and fountain head]
The Prince, Niccoly Machiavelli
How to Practice: The way to a Meaningful life, Dalai Lama
A Brief History of Time, Steven Hawking
Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkein

sorry for bragging

ps. when is this thread going to become sticky?

all of these books are great...marx...machiavelli...wait...what the hell...tolkein hehehe. j/k. i like to do the same thing though...its all about the bookcase ehehehe.

Old Post Jan-02-2003 17:59 
Click Here to See the Profile for Floorfiller Click here to Send Floorfiller a Private Message Visit Floorfiller's homepage! Add Floorfiller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cycloptor
BANANA!!

why oh why has nobody mentioned mans search for meaning by viktor frankl or utopia by thomas moore.

mans search for meaning really changed the way i approached things. its really an amazing story.

Old Post Jan-06-2003 06:55 
Click Here to See the Profile for cycloptor Click here to Send cycloptor a Private Message Add cycloptor to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Arbiter
Naked Power Organ

quote:
Originally posted by BLuEOcEaN420
btw just a question for you peep.

have any of your read:

*Dao De Jing by Lao Tzu

Yes, it's actually quite short. You can find several translations of it here.

Old Post Jan-07-2003 03:59 
Click Here to See the Profile for Arbiter Click here to Send Arbiter a Private Message Add Arbiter to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PeacefulWarrior
aDdiCtEd to cHUnKy bEaTs

quote:
Originally posted by ahlamalek
i love short stories as well

you might like The Lottery by Shirley Jackson ...freaky

Old Post Jan-08-2003 03:13  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for PeacefulWarrior Click here to Send PeacefulWarrior a Private Message Add PeacefulWarrior to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance Plant
Senior tranceaddict

So many books, so little time.

I'll start with:

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

Post more later.

TP

Swear and Sweat by it.

Old Post Jan-09-2003 23:54  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance Plant Click here to Send Trance Plant a Private Message Add Trance Plant to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DigitalTearDrop
tranceaddict in training

Sad

If I may say...

No beginner to the world of philosophy could possibly ignore Plato’s Republic. The allegory of the cave will change your perspective in every level. This is a must read before any other philosophical paper or political novel.

Also, if you want to know a little bit more about yourself and others, I suggest reading any book regarding the Enniagram.

Old Post Jan-18-2003 09:14  Turkey
Click Here to See the Profile for DigitalTearDrop Click here to Send DigitalTearDrop a Private Message Add DigitalTearDrop to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MisterOpus1
Grumpy Old Fart

Some of my favorites, in no particular order:

*Carl Sagan - Cosmos -> Excellent read on where we are in the universe
*Carl Sagan - Contact -> Forget the movie, the book is better!
*Steven Hawking - A Brief History of Time -> Another great read that helps us to understand where we are in the universe
*John R. Gribbin - In Search of Schrodinger's Cat -> Quantum physics will turn your world upside down!
*George Orwell - 1984 -> excellent read into a totalitarianism state of Big Brother
*George Orwell - Animal Farm
*Aldous Huxley - Brave New World
*Anthony Burgess - A Clockwork Orange -> Strange and compelling book, even more strange movie with Kubrick's point of view.
*Robert M. Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance -> had to re-read it, but it was worth it!
*Robert M. Pirsig - Lila: An Inquiry into Morals
*Joseph Heller - Catch 22
*Tom Wolfe - The Electric Koolaid Acid Test -> The '60's were absolutely wild!

and dance about,
and stick pickles in my honker...

Old Post Jan-20-2003 18:12  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for MisterOpus1 Click here to Send MisterOpus1 a Private Message Add MisterOpus1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Izzy
Virtue & Vice

quote:
Originally posted by MisterOpus1
*John R. Gribbin - In Search of Schrodinger's Cat -> Quantum physics will turn your world upside down!

wow, i checked this on amazon and this is definitely going to be on my next buy!

so far im half way through Sophie's World and am really loving the book, such a great intro into philosophy

i've also picked up yesterday and read the first two chapters of "Tao of Philosophy" by Alan Watts, its really great, i've never really been exposed too in indepth into eastern philosophies before, and this is such a great read, helps me understand...

Old Post Jan-22-2003 04:55 
Click Here to See the Profile for Izzy Click here to Send Izzy a Private Message Add Izzy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rupert
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Ugh, me hates Machiavelli...damn him and his "ends justify the means" bullshite

An oversimplification maybe.

If the leaders of the world had Machiavelli as a counsellor,(he was a diplomat of renaissance florence) the world would be a lot safer place.

Old Post Jan-24-2003 11:55  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for rupert Click here to Send rupert a Private Message Add rupert to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PeacefulWarrior
aDdiCtEd to cHUnKy bEaTs

Michael Moore's "Stupid White Men"

Old Post Jan-29-2003 04:38  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for PeacefulWarrior Click here to Send PeacefulWarrior a Private Message Add PeacefulWarrior to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (31): « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTune to identify [2004] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPrefecto - "Anything For Love" [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread