Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Need new DVS Interface, suggestions please.
Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SynthNinja
Suspended User

Need new DVS Interface, suggestions please.

I have a subscription to Cross DVS and still have the time code vinyl. I was thinking of getting an RME-RPM for timecode vinyl and I was wondering if those old chip sets are still better than whats inside lets say a traktor audiodj 6 for D/A conversion.

Or should I bit the bullet and get the traktor interface.

Old Post Aug-03-2018 17:49  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SynthNinja Click here to Send SynthNinja a Private Message Add SynthNinja to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Even old RME interfaces are going to sound better than anything that NI, Serato or Dennon will ever put out as an interface.

However, fuck all those options; Get the Phase controller system when it comes out. No reliance on timecode, just platter position and then you can use any DAC you want for output.

Old Post Aug-05-2018 01:35 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SynthNinja
Suspended User

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
Even old RME interfaces are going to sound better than anything that NI, Serato or Dennon will ever put out as an interface.

However, fuck all those options; Get the Phase controller system when it comes out. No reliance on timecode, just platter position and then you can use any DAC you want for output.

When is the release date?

Old Post Aug-05-2018 02:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SynthNinja Click here to Send SynthNinja a Private Message Add SynthNinja to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

September. One month to go.

As long as there isn't a fuckup with them (like the have problems holding locked pitch but they've assured me not), they are going to make the entire DVS market redundant.

Old Post Aug-06-2018 01:22 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
miamitranceman
Extreme tranceaddict

You’ve been tracking this for some time. Looking forward to your hands on impressions.

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
September. One month to go.

As long as there isn't a fuckup with them (like the have problems holding locked pitch but they've assured me not), they are going to make the entire DVS market redundant.

www.mixcloud.com/jluger

Old Post Aug-14-2018 02:20  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for miamitranceman Click here to Send miamitranceman a Private Message Add miamitranceman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Yeah, cannot wait. I really hope it does what they say and all the vids show. I'll finally have a solution for digital and vinyl in one small box.

Old Post Aug-14-2018 16:50 
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Oh for fucks sake, Phase have just pushed back the release until late November

https://www.facebook.com/notes/phas...ejourneyarticle

Apparently, it's for improvements which they've detailed but it's also closer to xmas. There's going to be a lot of pissed people out there who've had deposits down since june.....

Old Post Sep-12-2018 19:27 
SynthNinja
Suspended User

Dang it.

Old Post Sep-13-2018 00:23  United States
Freak
Insert witty comment here

As interesting and intriguing as it is, I am struggling to see the advantages of phase.

You still have to connect stuff, on top of your existing DVS. More links in the chain = more potential for problems. It also costs $350 on top of your DVS software & hardware.

Battery life is a concern - will it last a full club night? - as is interference with the communication. I still don't quite trust a tablet communicating wirelessly to a midas, let alone something like this.
For all their faults, serato and traktor have come on leaps and bounds and are now pretty reliable. You can also have a back up in the form of switching to HID mode controlled by a CDJ should a turntable setup go wrong in some way.

The only thing it eliminates is the stylus and potential for feedback - which might be a good thing in some places which don't know how to set up turntables properly, but if the turntables pitch is borked anyway, then this won't eliminate that issue.

It also eliminates absolute mode, leaving you stuck with relative mode only, which might not work for some people. Skipping isn't an issue in relative mode with serato/traktor as it stands anyway - only in absolute mode.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Will reserve judgement until I have tried it out.

Old Post Sep-13-2018 16:56  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Freak Click here to Send Freak a Private Message Add Freak to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SynthNinja
Suspended User

I think im in the same boat as Freak, I do need a soundcard however I have an apogee element 24 with 2 ins 2 outs for recording. My cartridges are perfectly calibrated on my GR's so if I take them off and loose contact burn in than leaving them already on, but thats not my point, why use a turntable at all if your gonna use phase, maybe the analog pitch from an mk2 has better resolution then what digital has to offer, idk, with a souncard and laptop and choice midi 14 bit usb controller wouldn't you be fine?

anyhow I like this thingamajig, been trying to get one for awhile.

http://nylonrecordings.com/2012/07/...n-pitch-faders/

- Two faders (14-bit resolution), 2 rotary pots, 8 buttons.
- All faders/pots are studio grade Bourns, extreme high-quality.
- 2 port expansion powered/non-powered usb integrated hub.
- 12-gauge aluminum super durable construction.

Class compliant freely mappable to any software.

There are many more pics on the website: xfxaudio.com. Feel free to ask any questions, but those are the key points

Last edited by SynthNinja on Sep-13-2018 at 17:34

Old Post Sep-13-2018 17:22  United States
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Freak
As interesting and intriguing as it is, I am struggling to see the advantages of phase.

You still have to connect stuff, on top of your existing DVS. More links in the chain = more potential for problems. It also costs $350 on top of your DVS software & hardware.

Battery life is a concern - will it last a full club night? - as is interference with the communication. I still don't quite trust a tablet communicating wirelessly to a midas, let alone something like this.
For all their faults, serato and traktor have come on leaps and bounds and are now pretty reliable. You can also have a back up in the form of switching to HID mode controlled by a CDJ should a turntable setup go wrong in some way.

The only thing it eliminates is the stylus and potential for feedback - which might be a good thing in some places which don't know how to set up turntables properly, but if the turntables pitch is borked anyway, then this won't eliminate that issue.

It also eliminates absolute mode, leaving you stuck with relative mode only, which might not work for some people. Skipping isn't an issue in relative mode with serato/traktor as it stands anyway - only in absolute mode.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Will reserve judgement until I have tried it out.

Here's the pros as I see them:

You don't need any other DVS stuff; You just plug the Phase box in to your laptop via usb and connect the outputs of the phase to the mixer.

That's it. No other hardware needed (unless you want to use your own dac for output in which case card that along too, set the outputs in software and plug that in to the ins on your mixer - it's entirely unnecessary though).

Is basically eliminates an entire set of cable plugging which is always a good thing (as you know )

Battery life - the box is USB powered so no issue there, but the with the deck sensors, they're saying 10 hours, but they sell a 4 pack so you can swap them out if needed. The box also doubles as the charging bay so I would suggest anyone using them all night, just swaps them out at say the 6 hour mark and pops those back in the charging bay. You can go on endlessly that way.

Another big thing for me is that it eliminates the fuzzy donut calibration. Gone. You just get a perfect circle - it's either there or it's off an it's not. No more fucking around with tonearm weight or needle angle etc. Switch the sensors on and that's it.

This is maybe more home DJ but one reason I hate timecode is that there's plenty of times I've wanted to mix at home and lower levels and the 1k tone (actually physically audible from the needle in the groove) drives me bonkers. It's never an issue in a club but on anything normal listening levels, it's unbearable.

Another: No needle skip. yes we all have setup methods that can avoid this but unless the deck physically gets flipped, phase can never skip.

There is the downside of no absolute mode, but honestly I'm willing to forgo that downside as I'd probably just set all cues in the silence before the first beat and drop it by hand like with vinyl. You just have to snap back to that cue if you want to drop it from the start again. Not a big deal for me.

Some have worried about interference with data transmission but apparently one of the big reasons they delayed it is that they figured out a more robust data transmission protocol with error correction so that even in harsh environments it will still perform accurately.

One thing that people were worried about was sticker drift and those that use the spindle to speed up but no phase are apparently adding magnetic stickers and a pinch mechanism to the sensors so you can still spin that way.

We'll see whether it actually performs, but for my needs, I'm a customer as just not having to use a shitty serato DAC or have a 1k tone has me already sold.

Old Post Sep-17-2018 21:03 
SynthNinja
Suspended User

Consider me old school but calling cartridge calibration tone arm meddling sounds like you have s some what complicated process attaching a new needle each time. Now to me needle calibration is in art in itself and choosing your dedicated tracking force after practice with all ranges in the manual including recommended is a gift that you can give yourself and will separate you from the rest. Imo this phase is like adding a CDJ on top of a 1200 with analogue pitch or if you m5g digital pitch.

Old Post Sep-18-2018 14:40  United States

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth > Need new DVS Interface, suggestions please.
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackplease help id this [2002] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTillmann Uhrmacher feat. Peter Ries - Bassfly (Club Mix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread