Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Markus schulz solo sets....
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
BPM_PHL
Senior tranceaddict

Can someone give me a recent Schulz recording with all quality and no cheese? Want to give him another chance but he fucking ruins it every time with that electro sirens jump up shit.

Old Post Aug-19-2015 17:51  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for BPM_PHL Click here to Send BPM_PHL a Private Message Add BPM_PHL to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
trancension
Supreme tranceaddict

I completely disagree.

DJ needs to read the crowd. And that does not mean playing a song the DJ does not like. That's silly to interpret it that way. Why would a DJ even bring a song on his USBs he doesn't like?

And naturally there's going to be peaks and valleys during an extended set, where you play the harder/nastier stuff and then give everyone a breather with a "rabbit hole" sequence.

Pre-determining the order though doesn't make sense to me. You should read the crowd. Mix it up. See how they're reacting to what you're throwing down.

Old Post Aug-19-2015 18:02  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for trancension Click here to Send trancension a Private Message Visit trancension's homepage! Add trancension to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
omega1n
Coldharbour Addict

I wasn't there but I assume this is an outline and idea of how he thinks the night could go off. He probably played off the crowd vibe and not directly into this schedule. I tend to follow a similar format when I open up for headliners at Beta here in Denver. Start off slow, get some heavy grooves going midway then bring it down before the headliner while still feeding/playing off the crowd. But hey, what do I know... I'm probably a shit DJ anyways.

Old Post Aug-19-2015 19:33  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for omega1n Click here to Send omega1n a Private Message Add omega1n to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Paul Anthony
Supreme tranceaddict

http://www.mixmag.net/feature/how-t...arathon-dj-set/

"Danny Tenaglia, whose legendary performances at clubs like Twilo, WMC and Stereo in Montreal have cemented his place as one of the kings of marathon sets, also maintains an incredibly organised music collection: "The thing with me is, I like so many different types of music. Normally I'll start off funky, maybe minimal – 117bpm, after a while I know I'm going to go into tech house, tribal, vocals, squeeze them all in there and follow the crowd of course staying aware of the hour."

All the djs have a plan of how theyre going to lay out the night. it would be silly to not prepare for a 12 hour open to close set. while i do agree that he shouldnt have posted that all over social media. he simply did it to hype the night and to let everyone know its gonna be a long night.

Old Post Aug-19-2015 19:52 
Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Anthony Click here to Send Paul Anthony a Private Message Add Paul Anthony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Durrrtysouth
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by trancension
I completely disagree.

DJ needs to read the crowd. And that does not mean playing a song the DJ does not like. That's silly to interpret it that way. Why would a DJ even bring a song on his USBs he doesn't like?

And naturally there's going to be peaks and valleys during an extended set, where you play the harder/nastier stuff and then give everyone a breather with a "rabbit hole" sequence.

Pre-determining the order though doesn't make sense to me. You should read the crowd. Mix it up. See how they're reacting to what you're throwing down.

Maybe that's a good strategy if you are playing for 100 people in a small club, but when you have 3,000 people with a line around the block, one in for every one person out, pretty much anything you play will get good response. That's why it is important for a DJ to dictate the pace and take the crowd on a journey and monitor the crowd to make sure everything is going as planned. There is no need to "read" the crowd in the sense of "oh damn, they are not reacting as planned, I better play something to get them back". It is more a test of patience to make sure you have a good pace and are not over doing it an tiring people out. I think this is something that you need to experience live to really understand. Anyone who was not there or has not been to an OTC set can make assumptions based on their feelings but when you are there, you know it is an energy that takes on life of its own.

I was told the club normally closes around 4am, at 5:30 am there was still a line down the block. That tells you all you need to know. He did something right. Acknowledge when there is something good happening in our scene and don't always try to poke holes in it.

There are not many people left in the scene who can do that AND sell out a venue to that degree. I did not say there was nobody...I am saying there are not many.

Old Post Aug-19-2015 23:01  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Durrrtysouth Click here to Send Durrrtysouth a Private Message Add Durrrtysouth to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
trancension
Supreme tranceaddict

I've been to a few of Markus' open to close sets. I know they're usually amazing and then some. But I would be disappointed if he stuck to some sort of pre-planned set. After the build-up and after he gets going, I'd want him to keep anything on the table for playing at any given minute.

Don't know how much he stuck to this or if it was just hype. I'm just saying, I do not like the idea of pre-planning your set beyond going "I have to play this song sometime tonight."

Old Post Aug-20-2015 02:04  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for trancension Click here to Send trancension a Private Message Visit trancension's homepage! Add trancension to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
modthispny
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by trancension
I've been to a few of Markus' open to close sets. I know they're usually amazing and then some. But I would be disappointed if he stuck to some sort of pre-planned set. After the build-up and after he gets going, I'd want him to keep anything on the table for playing at any given minute.

Don't know how much he stuck to this or if it was just hype. I'm just saying, I do not like the idea of pre-planning your set beyond going "I have to play this song sometime tonight."

i'm pretty sure that's all it is.

his set planning is nothing more than the natural progression of the music throughout the night. do you expect him to play techno at 12 am? do you expect the vocalists to come on and perform live at 7 am?

lets not over analyze things here, but when you play for 12 hrs there has to be some sort of structure to the set, and that's all he's doing.

Old Post Aug-25-2015 16:23  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for modthispny Click here to Send modthispny a Private Message Add modthispny to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Markus schulz solo sets....
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackunknown - turn around [2003] [1]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAirbase - Tangerine [2008]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread