Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Beginner
Pages (9): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
rattymouse
Junior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Omnisphere
One of the earliest Trance records. Trance to me is the greatest thing ever. It's so beautiful that it shouldn't exist but it does. Sadly though, it']s beauty is fading because of dirty politics

What politics is ruining trance? I find this comment facinating and want to learn more.

Old Post Oct-04-2018 11:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for rattymouse Click here to Send rattymouse a Private Message Add rattymouse to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
djdk
Nutritional Overachiever

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I think it's important with trance to note that this is, to some extent, inherently silly music. However, if you acknowledge that, you can get swept up in its exhilarating rush of sound. The expression I use for this double-think, this surrender to its charm, is "Putting your trance trousers on". Because even melodramatic music can be extremely well made, and the best trance music has some wonderfully complex, unique, twisted sounds in it that never get boring to listen to.

Perfectly put

Dave King - Tales Of The Future [Trance]
Dave King - Personal Classics
MIX ARCHIVE!!!

Old Post Oct-04-2018 11:26  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for djdk Click here to Send djdk a Private Message Visit djdk's homepage! Add djdk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
aufenglishbitte
tranceaddict in training

The beauty of electronic music is that if your ear is curious enough, which is likely the case because you're here, you'll always stumble upon gems you haven't heard before - tracks, albums, sets, whatever. You'll start with trance and eventually open other doors. Those pathways will lead to discoveries that deepen your search within this wonderful world. I still consider myself a relatively new listener of electronic music - nearly a decade. While I've sometimes wished I knew about it earlier so I could have danced during the so-called golden years, I love that I have myriad unheard artifacts to uncover. It's an endless stream of sound that never gets tiring to swim in. Just float, and enjoy the ride.

On that note, welcome to TA. Here's my small contribution to the thread. Cheers

https://www.mixcloud.com/TiestoFan9...continuous-mix/ (Check out the rest of the ISOS series, too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SCHee6_yKA (Above & Beyond's old podcast is better - check those episodes out.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO-KPn5cEwc (PVD at Globus in Tresor, what more do you need to know.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNPWywY18CM&t=337s (The first electronic mix I remember listening to and being engulfed by.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSI...eature=youtu.be (A newer set filled with the classics - Aly & Fila are popular among the trance-ters.)

Old Post Oct-05-2018 09:42  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for aufenglishbitte Click here to Send aufenglishbitte a Private Message Add aufenglishbitte to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by aufenglishbitte
On that note, welcome to TA.

You're funny, because of the fact that this is your first post here, alt?

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Last edited by Trance-M on Oct-05-2018 at 19:46

Old Post Oct-05-2018 11:00  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rattymouse
Junior tranceaddict

quote:
The beauty of electronic music is that if your ear is curious enough, which is likely the case because you're here, you'll always stumble upon gems you haven't heard before - tracks, albums, sets, whatever. You'll start with trance and eventually open other doors. Those pathways will lead to discoveries that deepen your search within this wonderful world. I still consider myself a relatively new listener of electronic music - nearly a decade. While I've sometimes wished I knew about it earlier so I could have danced during the so-called golden years, I love that I have myriad unheard artifacts to uncover. It's an endless stream of sound that never gets tiring to swim in. Just float, and enjoy the ride.

https://www.mixcloud.com/TiestoFan9...continuous-mix/ (Check out the rest of the ISOS series, too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SCHee6_yKA (Above & Beyond's old podcast is better - check those episodes out.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO-KPn5cEwc (PVD at Globus in Tresor, what more do you need to know.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNPWywY18CM&t=337s (The first electronic mix I remember listening to and being engulfed by.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSI...eature=youtu.be (A newer set filled with the classics - Aly & Fila are popular among the trance-ters.)

Thanks to you and everyone else for the recommendations. I have a huge backlog of tracks/mixes to listen to. Should anyone else feel like adding recommendations, I'd be keen to hear what everyone thinks are great (best) tracks with female vocals. I forgot to mention that in my OP that this was one of my key interests as well.

Again, HUGE thanks for all the recommendations. I have been listening to 2-3 hours of trance per day all week.

Old Post Oct-05-2018 11:40  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for rattymouse Click here to Send rattymouse a Private Message Add rattymouse to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Omnisphere
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by rattymouse
What politics is ruining trance? I find this comment facinating and want to learn more.
Like anything humans touch, we tend to always a ruin a good thing. Trance is no different. Dirty games get played in the scene, backstabbing, shady/shifty deals, using bots to prop up views on social media, all giving people the illusion that everything is okay. People also not getting paid royalties either by labels or people they thought they could trust. People promised that they would get paid but then the agent decides to take back on his word and then not pay at all.

If you really want to know how the Trance scene is doing, You don't need to look far. Just see what the commercial trance scene plays and compare it to the tracks from 1990-2005. The quality tanks after that and now it's just filled with white noise, sounds low bit rate, uses noisy claps and they want to make as loud and destructive as possible because that's the only way to get the message out there.

It's this sick mentality that ruined this precious music that brought joy and happiness and helped people overcome through their struggles. It's crushing to see the greatest electronic music evermade being destroyed like this but the underground scene is doing so so far but still getting harder and harder to find those mellow tracks.

Old Post Oct-05-2018 12:28  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Omnisphere Click here to Send Omnisphere a Private Message Add Omnisphere to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
Should anyone else feel like adding recommendations, I'd be keen to hear what everyone thinks are great (best) tracks with female vocals.

Female vocals are often used in uplifting trance, here are some I like, some are real bangers:

When being less uplifting it often leans a bit more to pop, but still nice, like this remix of the first one:

Longest (classic) Trance playlist on YouTube (5000 tracks released up to and including 1997), click here

Old Post Oct-05-2018 20:47  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Trance-M Click here to Send Trance-M a Private Message Add Trance-M to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Omnisphere
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Trance-M
Female vocals are often used in uplifting trance, here are some I like, some are real bangers:

When being less uplifting it often leans a bit more to pop, but still nice, like this remix of the first one:

Sloppy, too loud, cheesy and not fun to hear. This along with the big room crap, is what's wrong with commercial trance. They don't allow the tracks to breathe.

Old Post Oct-05-2018 21:34  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Omnisphere Click here to Send Omnisphere a Private Message Add Omnisphere to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
Sloppy, too loud, cheesy and not fun to hear. This along with the big room crap, is what's wrong with commercial trance. They don't allow the tracks to breathe.

There is nothing wrong with uplifting trance, you just don't like it.
I hate big room btw.

Old Post Oct-05-2018 21:59  Netherlands
Omnisphere
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Trance-M
There is nothing wrong with uplifting trance, you just don't like it.
I hate big room btw.

No, uplifting was created with heart. The tracks you posted sound like it's on steroids. This is how it was done.

Last edited by Omnisphere on Oct-06-2018 at 04:51

Old Post Oct-05-2018 23:26  Netherlands
Mebot
Maverick

quote:
Greetings all,

I'm new here and do not see a specific forum for those who are complete and total noobs when it comes to trance music. Apologies if I have missed this and am posting in the wrong place.

I have recently discovered trance music and am totally enthralled with it. However, I grew up firmly in the rock world and so have am coming to this art form from this perspective and find it somewhat difficult. My introduction to trance has been through the Sirrius radio shows by Armin Van Buuren and Above and Beyond. From browsing this forum, I get the feeling that I've listened to only "pop" type trance and not the real deal.

I would very much like recommendations on trance music that now has reached "classic" status. In rock music this would like naming The Beatles "Sgt. Peppers", The Rolling Stones, "Beggars Banquet", Led Zepplin "IV", etc.

Often when I find an artist I like they have no albums, just singles. I find it very hard to get traction with an artist when there's just a few singles. I'm an album type listener and so am somewhat floundering at times in my efforts to dive deeper into trance.

Web searches have only taken me so far and so I'm looking to this forum to help me learn more about trance.

Many, many thanks in advance.

RM

Boy, oh boy, where to start... Great question and here we are 20 years later after the "Golden Years" of trance (arguably). Thing is, you can see and hear tracks being produced today that harken back to the early 00s and, of course, if you follow the rabbit-hole, you will find tracks from the late 90s being influence by early 90s acid house, Chicago House, 80s synthpop, etc... and of course those are influeced by early 80s punk, disco, underground hip hop and house, which in turn was in turn influenced by rock and roll and etc etc etc..

So glad to have you on board. I applaud you for being able to go outside genres. I honestly have the same background where I grew up in mostly hard rock, alternative, grunge etc before I stumbled upon electronic music in 1995. But I think it takes a special listener to appreciate the different genres. Music is universal and affects people in different ways. I still enjoy my classic rock, heavy metal and punk (2 weeks ago I was at the Dropkick Murphys/Flogging Molly show here in Seattle, the next night I was at Solarstone). So I can appreciate the differences in music.

Enough rambling. Here are some posts from this thread that I want to add some color around:

(PS you are # 205,152, welcome to TA)

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Glad you like it. If you can appreciate something that's twenty years old, there is a whole galaxy of music that awaits your exploration.

In all honesty, it's been a long, long time since I tuned in to anything Armin or A&B have played, but I find the stuff being made under the "trance" moniker in 2018 to be very crass, emotionally limited and lacking in any degree of subtlety. On a technical front I also find it really over-produced with far too many layers and no space in the mixdown. To me, trance these days is incredibly shrill and silly.

Of course, trance has never been the coolest genre of electronic music, and its critics down the years would say it's always been emotionally over-blown and overly busy. Even in 1997, there were people in the house, techno or jungle scenes who detested the kind of music PVD is playing in that Essential Mix. And those criticisms are true to some extent. There are big "cheesy" moments in that set as well. What has steadily happened in the 20 years since that era is that these aspects of the music have become amplified and amplified as each generation of musicians tries to raise the bar above their predecessors, and the restraint the older music had - which balanced out the cheesy moments - has long since been lost.

I think it's important with trance to note that this is, to some extent, inherently silly music. However, if you acknowledge that, you can get swept up in its exhilarating rush of sound. The expression I use for this double-think, this surrender to its charm, is "Putting your trance trousers on". Because even melodramatic music can be extremely well made, and the best trance music has some wonderfully complex, unique, twisted sounds in it that never get boring to listen to.

The biggest problem with a lot of trance fans is that they have been guilty of taking it all far too seriously.

THIS THIS THIS

great post and well said. Its hard to encapsulate in words the vibe & spirit from the early years, but this is the closest I've ever seen written. Much like my brother in law who was a huge Metallica fan back in the late 80s/early 90s and he saw Metallica live with Guns n Rose in 1992.. I've heard his stories and wish I could have been there, but I know the bands arent the same today as they were back then. You just had to "be there"

quote:
Originally posted by wotyzoid
What?! You skipped one of the best decades if not the best. The birth of House, Techno and Hip-Hop music and era of piping hot Italo Disco, RnB and Electro and just generally good Pop music even.

This. You will go down a pretty big rabbit-hole with the amount of influences that EDM has.

quote:

Great first post AufEnglishbitte! well said and BTW you are TA # 205,149 beating out OP by 3 subscribers!!!

Lastly OP you said you grew up in the 70s/80s? Please check out Jeff Wayne's musical rendition of War of The Worlds. Start with that and move up the ladder.

Cheers

Old Post Oct-06-2018 04:02 
Click Here to See the Profile for Mebot Click here to Send Mebot a Private Message Add Mebot to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trance-M
Since 1994 tranceaddict

quote:
No, uplifting was created with heart. The tracks you posted sound like it's on steroids. This is how it was done.

I personally don't consider that one being uplifting. Next to that uplifting back then didn't even exist. But since I was a fan of Dance2Trance I think the link to uplifting is not that hard to imagine after listening to these two from 1993 and 1994:

Old Post Oct-06-2018 17:32  Netherlands

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > Beginner
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (9): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackone more [2002] [2]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSyndique - "Lost Thoughts" (Original Mix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread