Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Izzy
Virtue & Vice

quote:
Originally posted by PeacefulWarrior
Michael Moore's "Stupid White Men"

as i said before there is a strange truth in the ironic connection between the title of the book and the author

Old Post Jan-30-2003 06:45 
Click Here to See the Profile for Izzy Click here to Send Izzy a Private Message Add Izzy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
TranceGiant
randomly disappoints

In the process of finishing my Fukuyama book, whilst starting two other ones, namely Trainspotting (gotta love Irvine Welsh) and Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre. The latter is supposed to be a good introduction to Existentialism..let's see what this is all about

Old Post Feb-05-2003 21:22  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for TranceGiant Click here to Send TranceGiant a Private Message Visit TranceGiant's homepage! Add TranceGiant to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
PeacefulWarrior
aDdiCtEd to cHUnKy bEaTs

All Americans should read this book:

Silencing Political Dissent by Nancy Chang

It discusses how post-september 11 anti-terrorism measures threaten our civil liberties.

Old Post Feb-15-2003 22:00  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for PeacefulWarrior Click here to Send PeacefulWarrior a Private Message Add PeacefulWarrior to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancer-X
mutatis mutandis

quote:
Originally posted by CortexBomb
Essential stories about future "negative" utopias...with all too many shades of our current world in them.

Look into the "Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion" if you want something sketchy to ruminate over.

Hegel was also an interesting cat. Thesis ~ Anti-Thesis/Synthesis...

How about American industrialists funding Communism. There's much that the public doesn't know! How could we? We're kept in the dark.

Old Post Feb-21-2003 22:37  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancer-X Click here to Send Trancer-X a Private Message Visit Trancer-X's homepage! Add Trancer-X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OLi_A
chelsea = lose *whip*

we had to read this book in social ecology last year that i thought was pretty mind blowing

ishmael by daniel quinn

has anyone read it? if so what did you think cause im not much into philosophy and what not but this book was pretty good

i like you

Old Post Feb-23-2003 14:12  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for OLi_A Click here to Send OLi_A a Private Message Add OLi_A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Konijn
Subverting Paradigms

All of the following have been published in the last 10 yrs:

Best Fiction:
Jamaica Kincaid "Autobiography of my Mother"
Philip Roth "American Pastoral"
Peter Taylor "Summons to Memphis"
Jeffrey Eugenides "The Virgin Suicides

Literary Biography:
Philip Roth "Patrimony"

Collection of Short Stories:
A.S. Byatt "The Matisse Stories"

Books of 'Dissent,' broadly construed:
Naomi Klein "No Logo"
Robert McChesney "Rich Media, Poor Democracy"
Nancy Snow "Propaganda Inc." (a 60 pp. pamphlet)
Christopher Hitchens "The Missionary Position"
anything by Chomsky (it's just not fair how smart he is)

Cartoon/Satire:
Anything by Tom Tomorrow

Books to name-drop at cocktail parties (and whose good ideas get lost in impenetrably esoteric lingo):
Gyatri Spivak "A Critique of Postcolonial Reason"
Homi Bhabha "The Location of Culture"

American History (it's what I study)
Thomas Sugrue "Origins of the Urban Crisis" (a book everyone at Fox news should be beaten over the head with)
Glenda Gilmore "Gender and Jim Crow"
Matthew Jacobson "Whiteness of a Different Color"
Mike Wallace and Ted Burroughs "Gotham" a sentimental fave
Alan Brinkley "End of Reform"

P.S. Ayn Rand's writing is as awful as her politics
P.P.S. There's a reason the independent press voted Tom Friedman the journalist who has traveled the most yet learned the least...

Old Post Feb-23-2003 20:00  Greece
Click Here to See the Profile for Konijn Click here to Send Konijn a Private Message Visit Konijn's homepage! Add Konijn to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
biznology
Supreme tranceaddict

okay, this is fiction, but it spans the 'lifetime of civilization' and is a great read:

Tom Robbins 'Jitterbug Perfume' and connects history and religion in ways never thot poss

few more:

Richard Preston 'The Cobra Event' and 'The Hot Zone' both go along somewhat with the Aids discussion. very interesting, very engaging. Cobra is mostly ficticious while Zone recounts the short history of Ebola, but is better than that damn Dustin Hoffman movie with the monkey|

Last edited by biznology on Feb-25-2003 at 17:22

Old Post Feb-25-2003 17:08  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for biznology Click here to Send biznology a Private Message Add biznology to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancer-X
mutatis mutandis

Oh yeah, books.

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Art of War - Sun Tsu

Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace - Gore Vidal (not that I agree with it)

The Death of Common Sense - Philip K. Howard

The Book of Thoth - Haha

Old Post Feb-25-2003 19:14  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancer-X Click here to Send Trancer-X a Private Message Visit Trancer-X's homepage! Add Trancer-X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancer-X
mutatis mutandis

Perfume - Patrick Suskind

Old Post Feb-25-2003 19:47  United States
Mental Exodus
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Trancer-X
Oh yeah, books.
The Book of Thoth - Haha

Is this a real book? I once saw a thing that delt with Thoth and was wondering. Somthing to do with ligh and darkness and stuff.

MUSIC GURU - 2002.

Old Post Mar-10-2003 00:46  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Mental Exodus Click here to Send Mental Exodus a Private Message Visit Mental Exodus's homepage! Add Mental Exodus to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancer-X
mutatis mutandis

Emerald Tablets of Thoth

Old Post Mar-11-2003 22:59  United States
Floorfiller
Girl + Sweater = Hotness

quote:
Originally posted by Trancer-X
Emerald Tablets of Thoth

heheheh i got you beat here is a link to lots of FREE hostorical texts including the Emerald Tablets...

www.ancienttexts.org

they got lots of different cultures...at the moment i'm reading the book of the dead...just cause i like all that stuff...

Old Post Mar-11-2003 23:42 
Click Here to See the Profile for Floorfiller Click here to Send Floorfiller a Private Message Visit Floorfiller's homepage! Add Floorfiller to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackTrack #9 Steve May Guestmix on Electronic Elements 033 01-18-06 ... [2008] [4]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDJ Looney Tune - "Jumpin & Pumpin" (M.I.K.E. remix) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread