Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Euphoria's Interview Thread (Updates: Funkerman, Daniel Wanrooy, Redroche, Kyau & Albert)
Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
euphoria

Ghost Smilie Pre-DEMF Interview with Claude VonStroke

365MAG INTERVIEW: CLAUDE VON STROKE

Special: 365 Interview (2010-05-17)

http://www.365mag.com/index.php?pg=...+Music+Magazine

In anticipation of the upcoming Movement Festival in Detroit later on this month, as well as the recent news in regards to the release of the 5 Years of Dirtybird compilation we felt it was a great time to contact the Dirtybird and Mothership label owner Claude VonStroke for a Q & A session with 365Mag.

We asked Claude some interesting questions, and we would love for you to read them…

What factors do you believe made the Dirtybird and Mothership labels so successful?

For Dirtybird we had a sound that no one else had and I think we still push it to places that no other labels go. Mothership is not as defined as Dirtybird and it is harder to make it successful in general because it is less focused. That is something I will be working on in the future. That being said, we had some huge records on Mothership that really got it going.

Have you recently signed any new artists that you would like to mention?

I don't really sign artists. I sign tracks. I love the new tracks I just got from Sacha Braemer and this will be his 2nd EP so I guess he's part of the family now. I'm also loving some demos that I have as well from newcomers called B-Ju and Eric Volta.

Approximately how much time went into the track selection and the mixing for the 5 Years of Dirtybird compilation?

I don't know since Justin Martin did the mix. I know it took him 3 months to do it, so I imagine it took a long time to make all those special edits and versions.

Is there any particular reason why the digital version and the CD formats were released over a month apart?

That's not actually true. The digital on Beatport (no where else) was released in 3 parts. Part 3 came out the same day the full project was released everywhere. Only part 1 and two of the tracks on CD3 were out before the full project... they helped build the hype basically.

What can we expect from your performance at Movement 2010?

I am working on some special tracks and edits to really surprise some people. Hopefully my remix of Cajmere's Percolator will be ready by then as well. I think our designer is going to be able to finish this crazy video projection as well but it's all up in the air until I get there. I heard Pastikman is Djing inside a space pod during my set so I am just going to have to go for good old fashion ghetto beats, real molasses and condoms, 2 chili cheese with everything -- in order to get the real nasty people over to my tent. I'll go that OTHER route. The sweat and pussy route.

Which other acts that are performing are you most excited to see?

Of course I'll go support my guys the Italoboyz, and see some of the people like Carl Craig and Monty Luke. I haven't studied the line-up and I don't have it in front of me right now. Sorry! I think dOP will be there and I've been wanting to catch their act too.

How do your surroundings in San Francisco influence your music?

Quite a bit, just this weekend I was accused of sounding "too American" but the funny thing is that I take that as a compliment. As long as I don't sound like the 1000 DJs who all sound the same in Berlin. Of course I'm not dissing Berlin, there are some amazing genius musicians and producers there but people know what I'm talking about. San Fran is unique and it is unique to dance music and not a lot of people are actually from there who tour around the world. I love bringing the dirty San Fran flavor to the people.

What are some changes that you have noticed in regards to the music business since you first took an interest?

I always manage to piss everyone off when answering this so why stop now? Digital.... basically wiped the floor with the old model. Physical products no longer run the industry and therefore labels make less money and the Indies are turning into basically just promotional machines for their artists. You can still sell a big record but its not even close to the same as even 4 years ago. Eventually you will just be able to buy music off people's facebook pages and blogs and the whole concept of digital distro will even fall apart. Maybe Itunes will have a lockdown on the bigger artists but for all us people out here in the real world we will sell it to anyone anyhow we can - and that means people are going to get it straight from the artists and on blogs that recommend music. The faceless digital record store that releases 10,000 tracks a week will eventually die due to the unbelievable scalability of the Indie artist and their ability to use technology. It's only going to take three or 4 huge artists to say "I'm only selling this on my own website (but my website can sell it straight to your phone or your ipad or your computer)" for the big digital distro to wince and panic. Good companies like Beatport should be planning and investing 5 years ahead right now in order to stay in business. They are crazy if they think what happened to the majors will not happen to them. It's human nature to try and buck the system and fuck the man. And now the man is simply itunes instead of universal. Except now, everything is exponentially sped up with technology and it will not take 50 years to unseat them.

You have lived in Michigan, New York, and California. Which state would you say has the nest nightlife in your opinion?

San Francisco. No contest whatsoever. 15 years ago I would say for sure it was Detroit but all those amazing underground warehouse parties are quite far and few between nowadays. I don't really go to New York a lot so I'm not qualified to comment on the big apple.

What other upcoming projects do you have lined up for this year?

The Grizzl is my new quasi hip-hop alias. I am finishing up a remix for Chilli Gonzales then trying my best to do something with Die Antwoort but it seems impossible to actually get in touch with them.

Do you have any other comments for our readers?

Come see me on Saturday at the Beatport tent people!! Love ya. Promise I'll have some crazy shit for you to hear.

- Interview by Zaneta Ortiz [365Mag]

http://www.myspace.com/claudevonstroke
http://www.dirtybirdrecords.com/

Old Post May-18-2010 15:23  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Burak14
Supreme tranceaddict

if he had respect for tiesto, he should have never touched it.

Old Post May-18-2010 15:30  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Burak14 Click here to Send Burak14 a Private Message Add Burak14 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cl0wnz0r
Caviar , vodka, & pickles

quote:
Originally posted by Burak14

i scrolled down immediately after opening this to see if you had commented :P

Old Post May-18-2010 19:37  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cl0wnz0r Click here to Send cl0wnz0r a Private Message Add cl0wnz0r to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

quote:
Originally posted by cl0wnz0r
i scrolled down immediately after opening this to see if you had commented :P

You can't say Tiesto without Burak appearing

Old Post May-18-2010 19:39  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for euphoria Click here to Send euphoria a Private Message Visit euphoria's homepage! Add euphoria to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MeLLyMeL
I miss my best friend :(

I wish you took questions like - Why did you find it necessary to destroy such great classics?

Why didn't you retire along time ago?

Near to me

R.I.P. DarkAngel 12-16-o9

Old Post May-18-2010 20:02 
Click Here to See the Profile for MeLLyMeL Click here to Send MeLLyMeL a Private Message Visit MeLLyMeL's homepage! Add MeLLyMeL to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
diabloargentino
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:

+1

Old Post May-18-2010 21:25  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for diabloargentino Click here to Send diabloargentino a Private Message Add diabloargentino to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ Eco
in yo mouf

quote:

I like Durand, and I'm no Tiesto fan-boy, but I gotta say I agree with you on this one...

It's like Dane Cook playing Ron Burgandy in Anchorman 2..

Old Post May-18-2010 22:25  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ Eco Click here to Send DJ Eco a Private Message Visit DJ Eco's homepage! Add DJ Eco to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
AY STAR
let the music use you up

shame tiesto decided to stop doing isos
number 3 is still one of my all time fav cd's
i listen to it from start to finish
and cd2 on isos7 is straight up banging

i guess durand got the offer and hes just tryin to carry the tourch
imo it wont be the same, but it cant be as bad as what tiesto is spinning these days, i dont even think he spins trance anymore
its all electro/dubstep kinda stuff

Old Post May-19-2010 02:06  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for AY STAR Click here to Send AY STAR a Private Message Add AY STAR to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Scoops
4 bags deep

Johan Gielen would have been better choice to continue the franchise over Dick Durand

Old Post May-19-2010 13:54 
Click Here to See the Profile for Scoops Click here to Send Scoops a Private Message Add Scoops to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
euphoria

bold/unbold is fixed now. I was just missing one "/" and it screwed the whole post up

Old Post May-19-2010 13:54  United States
DGREG
tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by AY STAR
imo it wont be the same, but it cant be as bad as what tiesto is spinning these days, i dont even think he spins trance anymore
its all electro/dubstep kinda stuff

couldn't agree more, cant hold it against richard for trying to further his career by taking over a world renowned compilation series. hold it against tiesto for not giving a fuck anymore and preferring to produce pop trash for 3-6 mafia and fucking nelly furtado. and dont get me wrong tiesto was the single figure that pulled me into dance music but at this point i have written his ass off.

Old Post May-19-2010 15:37  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DGREG Click here to Send DGREG a Private Message Add DGREG to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Excess
Somewhere, Out There

i think the most disappointing part is that this new album is not in anyway mixed like a richard durand live set, which are AWESOME. basic 2 phrase studio-mixed transitions :/

Old Post May-19-2010 15:53 
Click Here to See the Profile for Excess Click here to Send Excess a Private Message Visit Excess's homepage! Add Excess to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - New York > Euphoria's Interview Thread (Updates: Funkerman, Daniel Wanrooy, Redroche, Kyau & Albert)
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (14): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackID please, some older track [2005] [4]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackAyumi Hamasaki - Boys and GIrls (Push Instrumental Dub) [2002]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread